SPOT Questions

MojaveKJ

Adventurer
How durable are the SPOT units? Do they hold up well to long periods in the hot sun? I assume like a GPS it needs line of sight to the sky so if it is in the middle of the Jeep it will not operate properly, right? Is it truly rugged enough to withstand miles of washboard dirt roads if velcro'd to the A pillar or dashboard of my Jeep? Where is yours mounted or carried?

Thank you for your response.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
How durable are the SPOT units? Do they hold up well to long periods in the hot sun? I assume like a GPS it needs line of sight to the sky so if it is in the middle of the Jeep it will not operate properly, right? Is it truly rugged enough to withstand miles of washboard dirt roads if velcro'd to the A pillar or dashboard of my Jeep? Where is yours mounted or carried?

Thank you for your response.

I've run mine on the dash in the sun for days on end and haven't noticed any fading (had it for about a year)...it's been beat up pretty good there + plenty of all-day hikes attached to my pack in the sun. I'd say it was pretty rugged and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it (except for the reception issues and the new InReach out now, which is a whole other discussion)...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears