SPOT vs. PLB

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
A question I'd raise about SPOT is what would they do if they are in receipt of an emergency message from a device with an account that is delinquent. Recognize that the account may be delinquent through no fault of your own - check lost in the mail, credit card on file for auto renewal expired, or any number of other possible administrative foul ups. Just something to consider.

According to Doug Ritter over at Equipped to Survive, one of the entities MOST active in advocacy for PLBs and the like, there is currently no REQUIREMENT that SPOT honor or respond to the alert. He suspects that this may eventually come via Goverment fiat the same way that cellphone companies are required to allow 911 calls even on a phone with no service plan, etc., but currently there's no "rule".

SPOT is probably reluctant to state outright that they would honor the alert, because then that provides a real incentive for people who only want the SPOT for emergency service to allow their plans to lapse.

What would eventually force everyone's hand is IF there was ever an instance when they did NOT take action and someone suffered additional injury or death due to the lack of/delayed response.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
According to Doug Ritter over at Equipped to Survive, one of the entities MOST active in advocacy for PLBs and the like, there is currently no REQUIREMENT that SPOT honor or respond to the alert. He suspects that this may eventually come via Goverment fiat the same way that cellphone companies are required to allow 911 calls even on a phone with no service plan, etc., but currently there's no "rule".

SPOT is probably reluctant to state outright that they would honor the alert, because then that provides a real incentive for people who only want the SPOT for emergency service to allow their plans to lapse.

What would eventually force everyone's hand is IF there was ever an instance when they did NOT take action and someone suffered additional injury or death due to the lack of/delayed response.

Credit where credit is due, this became a concern of mine after watching the presentation on the Equipped to Survive site.

He also raises some interesting concerns about which agencies are contacted in response to an emergency alert from a PLB vs. a Spot device. PLB apparently goes to the SAR community, Spot goes to the 911 center.

Just some things to consider.

NuggetHoarder

Adventurer
ACR got FCC approval yesterday to start selling the ResQLink. For those that don't know, this is the much anticipated latest and greatest PLB that has GPS built in and is smaller than the FastFind 210. I'm just waiting now for it to show up on Amazon or another discounter. It's not offered on Amazon yet. Basspro has it for sale for $280.

The specs are: Dimensions: 3.9" x 1.9" x 1.3" Weight: 4.6 oz.

What I particularly like about the ResQLink is that you can wear it in a cargo pocket all the time and forget about it until needed. I drive a Jeep and there have been a lot of reports of fires caused by the transmission overheating and leaking fluid onto the catalytic converter while trail riding in 4Lo. The resulting fires engulf the Jeep in a matter of seconds, not minutes. It's so prevalent that there is a large push for a recall now. Having a PLB on my person at all times while trekking would go a long way towards getting out of that kind of jam - a situation where you don't have a lot of time to dig around for gear you want to take with you.

http://www.acrelectronics.com/products/catalog/personal-locator-beacons/resqlink-406-gps/

ResQLink.jpg
1379.jpg

larryt

Observer
A question I'd raise about SPOT is what would they do if they are in receipt of an emergency message from a device with an account that is delinquent. Recognize that the account may be delinquent through no fault of your own - check lost in the mail, credit card on file for auto renewal expired, or any number of other possible administrative foul ups. Just something to consider.

Very interested in alternatives on this basis, especially InReach.

Last week, I discovered that SPOT did not run my credit card for the last year of my service, so I was "delinquent." My credit card had been replaced last year due to theft. The SPOT rep called for a new card last year when my auto-renewal did not go through, but never ran it, so I was officially "delinquent" for the better part of one year (despite having a valid credit card on file), all the while carrying the SPOT in case of emergency. "Customer service" insists I pay for the lost year in order to go forward with service, but has not responded to my inquiry as to what would have happened if I needed SPOT 911 service while I was delinquent by their error. If I ever get a good answer to this, I will post it up.

I have spent many hours on the phone (on hold mostly) with SPOT and sent unanswered emails about this issue. Relying on Globalstar in a life-threatening situation is rolling the dice at best, IMO.

Jon Nelson

Observer
I just went through this decision for myself - SPOT uses the Globalstar system - do some background work on the Globalstar satellite problems and determine what their current coverage is for the area you may need before purchasing!

You might determine that other options are better for your use!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle