Spray Can Sahara Tan??

jefe4x4

Observer
One of my CJ8 jeeping buddies and I have used either Pep Boys Plasticote Sand-#1114, or Rustoleum 'Sand' from Home Depot. We've gone thru at least 30 rattle cans over the last 20 years. The original paint on both our CJ8's was called 'Jamaica Beige' and the above was close enough. We've rolled these rigs maybe 20 times (different times together) and made less and less difference over the years. Everything then was just a touch-up.
regards, as always, jefe
DSCN0219.jpg

DSCN0827.jpg

DSCN0759.jpg

Last edited:

sixbennetts

Adventurer
PakRatt, looking good! I'm glad mine is a big slab-sided beast. All those curves woulda slowed me down. How'd you get your wife to help? Mine just walks by shaking her head.

jefe4x4, that's exactly why I chose a paint that's available everywhere in a color I like. Every vehicle I've every been off-road in always gets scratched/dinged/dented, regardless of how gentle and careful I approach the trail. This way it won't bother me nearly as much.

Adventure IQ

Explorer
....question....after your final coat goes on and drys....do you sand? Do I need to wait a bit then sand for the last time? I need to finish tonight so I can drive it to work in the morning

jefe4x4

Observer
pak,
Just spray it on and drive. The semi-gloss nature of the paint will dull quickly without any further ado. Here is why we do simple touch-ups:
104-0416_IMG.jpg

01020012-1.jpg

This is Mark's CJ8, same color; same re-color; built 2 weeks apart in 1982:
DSCN0845.jpg

DSCN0550.jpg

6Bennetts:
I really like your rig. Easy to get parts? Is it gas or diesel?

regards, as always, jefe

sixbennetts

Adventurer
No, parts are tough but from what I can gather they are way overbuilt and so don't break very often. CV boots are the most frequent maintenance item I think, with brakes being second. Brakes are same as one of the Land Rovers though, so you can find them.

Runs on gas.

sixbennetts

Adventurer
Got the front done. This took a combination of masking off stuff, removing other stuff, and a little hand painting with a brush in some of the tight spots.

(The sticker on the driver's side bumper is a 1985 Oversand Vehicle Permit for the Cape Cod National Seashore from our honeymoon. Yeah, I'm a romantic. Anything to get the Mrs in the truck, right?)

20120922_114939_zpsa9157847.jpg

88Xj

Banned
I've got almond and putty color in satin flavor, won't have much sheen which is nice, but more importantly easily sprayed off, vs the flat which is harder to come clean. Also Oil stains would be easily visible which I didn't like.
The putty is damn close to Sahara tan. Just a tid bit darker than almond. Gonna look for a can of Sand but putty is looking Like my color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman