Springbar tents. Which one?

D110

Observer
You will love the tent and the pack size/ weight definitely makes it more user friendly if space is an issue.

IMG_0394.jpg

Troutdaddy

the poles are adjustable and you can drop both for a lower distal "fall off" of water or drop 1 corner with basically the same results. I do recommend the awning with "extra side" curtains available , they can me used to provide additional wind/sun/water protection. The campsite will also have much better ventilation due to windows, etc

mandingo

Observer
I have the Outfitter 3 and my brother has a Kodiak model with the awning. I kind of envy the awning just for the poke your head out and check the weather without getting wet factor. If I ever upgrade my tent (to another Springbar model) I'd get an awning. The Kodiak models can get a Wing Vestibule that looks really nice but Springbar doesn't. Definitely get the awning. Go for the Springbar Campsite 3 Tent.
PS my brother was setting up his new Kodiak in my backyard (he lives in a condo and has no space) and was bragging how much he saved over me and how much better his tent was. Once we set it up we discovered that the inside windows were missing a couple of the fabric ties to hold them open. Yea China. Buy American.

Thean

Pile-O-Parts
We picked up a 10x10 Springbar last spring. For camping out a couple days at a time it has been great. Company was easy to work with also. I will say, get the additional side flaps on the portico/awning. On hot afternoons when the sun is low, i tie one side off to ground stakes, turning it into a more affective shade... depending on tent orientation. I presume, during rain, this would also help shield the entry. The poles collapse down enough to lay under the back seat forward of the wheel wells.
for quick overnight stops, we grabbed a small light weight Eureka free standing 2 man which is quick up and down.
Depending on the ground you camp on with the Springbar, bring a few spare stakes, the stake removal process has been the more time consuming part of operation for me. The ground stakes are the key imho - The broad stamped metal style work well in light, sandy soil, the narrow large nail types work well in hard ground, clay, rock, etc. Whatever you choose, make sure you have something that makes pulling them easy.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
^ Good point about stake removal atop hard ground! I use SnowPeak stakes and while camped atop hardback in a remote backcountry spot last summer ... when it came time to take the Kodiak down I couldn't get a majority of the stakes to budge. Ended up looping 2X 5mm cord, I always carry in the LC, through the top of the tent stakes and used my Hi-Lift to pull them out. Worked great. Except for all the extra time it took :D.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
^ Good point about stake removal atop hard ground! I use SnowPeak stakes and while camped atop hardback in a remote backcountry spot last summer ... when it came time to take the Kodiak down I couldn't get a majority of the stakes to budge. Ended up looping 2X 5mm cord, I always carry in the LC, through the top of the tent stakes and used my Hi-Lift to pull them out. Worked great. Except for all the extra time it took :D.

Placing the edge of a small shovel under the stake and pulling up is the tried and true way most folks do it, a shovel should be in your vehicle anyway.

Thean

Pile-O-Parts
Placing the edge of a small shovel under the stake and pulling up is the tried and true way most folks do it, a shovel should be in your vehicle anyway.
Didnt have luck with that on multiple occasions.
^ carry one...always. Didn't touch it. Hard pan.
i ended up using the HL handle, over a piece of wood, standing on the end, then readjusting as i needed more height.
what i found was, get the stake moved enough to unhook the tent. Once you have tent out of the way, you can go at them like a gorrilla. Part of the issue may be me sinking them to deep. However, the tent needs the stakes to be completely set to hold it properly... so, theres that.
The last time i was out, the tent stakes gave me such a headache, i bought some large lag bolts. Next time, ill be using my electric impact and seeing how they work. It might be a waste of $8 and some time, but if it isnt, thats priceless to me.

The_Dude

Adventurer
Can someone measure the height of their awning closed up? I am trying to determine if I can mount mine under my Thule bars instead of on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thean

Pile-O-Parts
The awning pole bag is 46" long. The large portico, which is the awning with the wings on either side is about 18" oal, 6" deep and 10" wide. its rolled and in a stuff sack so OAL is consistant but the depth and width can change depending on where you smash it into.
The tent poles and bag are substantially longer.

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
Thanks everyone for the input. I have one more question for both the Springbar and Kodiak crowds. I have seen the various setup details and videos, but does setup become a pain if you are setting up and taking down everyday for a few days in a row?

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Thanks everyone for the input. I have one more question for both the Springbar and Kodiak crowds. I have seen the various setup details and videos, but does setup become a pain if you are setting up and taking down everyday for a few days in a row?

I wouldn't want to up & down my 10x10 Kodiak everyday; not because its difficult but more of an issue of time. Some of that has to do with the fact we use a MegaMat Duo10.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman