Springfield XD advice.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Background:

I like 9mm. Currently have a Beretta 92FS and a Sig P250 Compact. I have the opportunity to buy a used Springfield XD in 9mm. It has a stainless slide, 1-16 round and 2-10 round magazines. I haven't had the chance to run it yet, but it feels nice.

Are there any trouble spots to inspect?

I can get this for $300.

Cheers,

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
My XD has been my favorite 9mm. Nothing much goes wrong with them. Very easy to take down and inspect for major internal damage, but if it dry fires, and cycles a dummy round, then you're likely good to go.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one...

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
My XD(M) is my favorite pistol too. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one either. Seems like a good price.

Don

-

Chili

Explorer
Seems like a decent deal. I bought my XD40 new years ago and still love it.

Hell, I meant to say I bought mine USED, lol. As long as it looks clean and serviceable, even better if you can test fire at a range, I would not hesitate to buy it.

IZZYDUSIT

Adventurer
Dave,
I have an XD-40 subcompact that is my cc daily side arm.
very easy to oporate, light, great safety feature and very accurate!
one of the futures I like about this gun is that in the dark, you can tell if you are chambered or not by the raise on the action.
I have an HK45C that is my outing gun but the XD is right there as far as favorite.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
BTW, I was thinking about something. Both your current rigs are hammer-fired DA/SA's, right? The XD, being striker fired, is going to feel different. (not trying to sound condescending, just putting it out there. Hope that comes across...)

Just for comparison, for me, a 1911 is crisp, zero take-up, no creep, and then glass-rod break with a very short reset.
A DA/SA decocked for me, has tons of take-up that ramps up, then a fairly clean break, with a medium amount of reset to SA, like a DA/SA revolver. Then the SA has little take-up, teeny bit of creep, and a fairly clean break (CZ P-o1, CZ-75)

A striker fired for me, has a very long, but light take-up, and a consistant fairly clean break, with quite a long reset. It's the loong reset, that kind-of throws me, when moving from striker-fired to SA-only or DA/SA at the range where I'm almost always in SA.

Hope that makes sense....Some of my terms might be off. :D

Love to hear your reactions if you get some range time on it.

Last edited:

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
I bought it. @ $300, I figured I'm not upside down on it.

0225120946.jpg

Now a question about carry:

With my Sig, I carry with one in the pipe because you have to fully cycle the hammer for it to fire, so it seems pretty safe.

This is now my first striker pistol. I understand that there is the backstrap and trigger safety, but what would it take for an unintended discharge? How well is the striker release held by those safeties?

Thanks,

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
It will not fire without both being pressed.
I doubted it when I first got mine, but it has proven impossible to discharge without them being used.

I always run with one round chambered in my XD 40, and one happy camper. Ive pumped 1000+ rounds through it, with just a few misfeeds, and one fail to fire. Both were re-load ammunition related.

That said, I have found that polishing the load ramp (and keeping it VERY clean) in the gun has smoothed feeding, making it easier to chamber. You can HEAR the difference.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
I have some crappy Soviet stuff I'm going to shoot off today, then some Winchester target stuff. I'd like to get more acquainted with my new buddy. I like how the striker trigger pull weight is similar to my Sig. The pull is much shorter, though.

EdwardBernal

Adventurer
Nice score buddy! 300 beans for that roscoe with 3 mags is a good buy. I personally have no experience with that line but I have read a TON of
positive feedback on several gun boards. I adopted the glock 9mm series of pistolas before the XD and S & Ws MP series hit the market but they sure seem
intriging. I enjoy my 1911s and revolvers alot more at the range than my glocks BUT I sure do respect the fact I have fired THOUSANDS of rounds thru them without
a hiccup. Boring, ugly but utterly reliable. Enjoy your new gun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears