Stairway To Heaven, Oahu

dakota123

Adventurer
Not sure if anyone has heard of this or has hiked on oahu. But I did this hike a few months ago and it was one of the gnarliest hikes I've ever completed. The stairs follow the ridge line all the way to the top where an old radio antenna sits at the top. Im sure some of you have seen pictures online if you've searched for hikes on oahu.

My mom has lived on the island ever since 9/11 happened and her united airline office got shut down in Southern California, so i grew up going and visiting when i would have breaks off from school. So i had always heard about the hike.

One of my buddies were on the island with his girlfriend due to his grandmother passing away. He came to spread her ashes around the island because she loved coming out there so much.

Technically the stairway has been shut down the past couple years and there is a guard that is stationed at the bottom of the stairs, however one of the locals his father helped build the stairs and knows who he is. However, sometimes if you leave early enough you can miss the guard completely. We didn't want to take any chances so we left at 3am.... but the guard happened to still be there. So with that, we decided to give it a try and mentioned his name and we were able access the stairs above The views were amazing and there were actually a few others that got past the guard up there as well. One guy all the way from Germany!

Anyways if you want to read more about it or see some more pics i did a write up on my experience.

http://www.freedomfromroutine.com

Curious about who here has heard of it/hiked it?

Attachments

• IMG_6103.jpg
    IMG_6103.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6112.JPG
    IMG_6112.JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6113.JPG
    IMG_6113.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 39

dakota123

Adventurer
I still can't believe it took me so long to do! I guess i never really had anyone that would do it with me till me last trip haha

AJE

5aab970e259931927ad0d1b09fa42696.jpg

I think the hikes are the biggest part i miss about living there...

Rot Box

Explorer
I was in HI for the first time this summer. Did a few shorter hikes including the pillbox, diamond head and the Manana trail which ended at a sweet waterfall.

Yep, I saw the stairway to heaven :Wow1:........ And kept on driving :coffeedrink:

ibanezer

Adventurer
Read through your blog post, looks like an amazing hike. Definitely something most people will never get to experience.

dakota123

Adventurer
5aab970e259931927ad0d1b09fa42696.jpg

I think the hikes are the biggest part i miss about living there...

Hell yeah you've been! Yeah man the hikes are unreal and their is so much to do there... however i don't think i could live there full time. I can only ride my motorcycle around the island so many times.... and their isn't variation in places to off road haha

I was in HI for the first time this summer. Did a few shorter hikes including the pillbox, diamond head and the Manana trail which ended at a sweet waterfall.

Yep, I saw the stairway to heaven :Wow1:........ And kept on driving :coffeedrink:

If you ever go back definitely check out kalihi ice ponds its between waikiki and Hawaii Kai. Such a cool waterfall hike with multiple rock jumps and one really really big one.
Im actually working on a post of a couple cool spots i enjoy going to when i go out to visit my mom.
If you have instagram you can follow me and I (my girlfriend does the posting most of the time lol) usually post up about recent blogs and pictures from past and present adventures. (IG=Freedom_From_Routine)

AJE

Thats funny, when I'm asked about living there I end with...

"do you know how much it cost to ship a bumper or rocker guards to an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean! "

dakota123

Adventurer
Hahaha exactly i noticed that too. every time you go to ship somethings its always like "to the U.S. = $5" "To Hawaii = $500"

In 1956, when I lived at Lualualei, we used to go to the place, which we called "Heiku". My Father was the electronics officer at Lualualei, and we went to check the transmitters, and the towers. He was also the officer in charge of "Moana Kapu", or forbidden mountain, which was above Wahiawa, and had the best forest of wild banana's, and guavas. It also had some kind of hybrid avocados, and since I was only 10 yrs old, used to climb the trees like a little monkey. In 1960, our Navy base, along with Kaneohe, and Waipahu, used the facility to put on a big luau, and party. All of the people who wanted to climb the wire and steel ladder were able to do it. If I remember correctly, the ponds below the ladders have a few large koi, and lots of "Jobe's Tears", as well as plenty of Kukui nuts for making candles from the nuts, and jewelry from the deep black shells. This story takes me back over 60 years, and I still remember the climb up the ladders at 11 years OLD!!

Now, I ramble about the east Mojave, and the mountains around the Red Rock Canyon State Park, here in California. In fact I, and several of our friends, will be exploring the El Paso Mtns, and camping at Holland Camp, Sheep Springs, and old mining claim. We will also be wheeling the "Last Chance Canyon Notch", in the lower end of last Chance Canyon, and looking for Opals at the Nowak Mine come February. We also will do the narrows at Goler Gulch, and look into the Cemetary at Goler Heights.

dakota123

Adventurer
In 1956, when I lived at Lualualei, we used to go to the place, which we called "Heiku". My Father was the electronics officer at Lualualei, and we went to check the transmitters, and the towers. He was also the officer in charge of "Moana Kapu", or forbidden mountain, which was above Wahiawa, and had the best forest of wild banana's, and guavas. It also had some kind of hybrid avocados, and since I was only 10 yrs old, used to climb the trees like a little monkey. In 1960, our Navy base, along with Kaneohe, and Waipahu, used the facility to put on a big luau, and party. All of the people who wanted to climb the wire and steel ladder were able to do it. If I remember correctly, the ponds below the ladders have a few large koi, and lots of "Jobe's Tears", as well as plenty of Kukui nuts for making candles from the nuts, and jewelry from the deep black shells. This story takes me back over 60 years, and I still remember the climb up the ladders at 11 years OLD!!

Now, I ramble about the east Mojave, and the mountains around the Red Rock Canyon State Park, here in California. In fact I, and several of our friends, will be exploring the El Paso Mtns, and camping at Holland Camp, Sheep Springs, and old mining claim. We will also be wheeling the "Last Chance Canyon Notch", in the lower end of last Chance Canyon, and looking for Opals at the Nowak Mine come February. We also will do the narrows at Goler Gulch, and look into the Cemetary at Goler Heights.

Thats so crazy and really cool. You are definitely one of the lucky ones who have gotten to hike it when it was still legal! Its one of the best experiences i have ever had. Im glad this was able to bring back al those memories for you. That is awesome. I recently saw this video that popped up on my Facebook and it really puts this hike into perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F9BYK-oCwA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman