Standard slide in hawk on flat bed

Steelie

Want to put hawk 4 wheeler pop up camper on dodge 2500 crew cab 6.4 2017
The trick is want to add ute flatbed and add my standard 2009 slide in hawk model
Going to bolt camper down and add custom boxes on sides of camper on 7x7 ute flat bed
My concerns are the camper will be 5-6 inches higher so cab over lip will have more air gap
than normal also thinking about adding AEV suspension 37 inch tires ect
My camper weight is around 1300 wet with all gear and people on extended trips will be
no more than 2400 pounds any day of the week much likely closer to 2000
The payload on that vehicle is around 3300 so no worries there
So I have a few questions hopefully someone can answer
Is putting standard slide in hawk on flatbed a bad idea for any reason ?
Was thinking about adding some kind of storage/wind break extension under lip over cab any ideas
on that ?
If i go Diesel my payload will drop to 2300 will that be issue pushing payload?
Any gas vs diesel mpg on newer dodge 2500 crew stock 4x4 with hawk or similar weight pop up?
Any true mpg in newer model 6.4 hemi dodge 2500 crew or mega would be apreciated
Going to AEV lift any hawk camper positive vs negative vs stock experiences ?
Going both AEV lift tires ect and UTE flat bed with camper and truck I mentioned will I lose performance handling will it be unsafe ?
Mostly hunting fishing Pacific Northwest and Sierras also Rockies more summer fall there so not much snow
Dry mostly some rain truly mostly highway camper going to be on permanent camp 3-4 months a year
Last what mpg do u think I will get with lift 37 tires flat bed ect on the 6.4 hemi option driving mellow no
racing around for me with permacamper.
Almost forgot if I left stock and just used AEV wheels what tire recommendations for setup in A/T to stay stock?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
there are lots of people who have done just what you are looking at....There are some builds here on this site actually and some in the cassifieds section. I would recommend the AEV for sure. great setup for what your looking at. You may have to airbag the rear as well. But that is what I would go with if I was building a rig as well....get the flatbed with cargo sides, then slide the camper right in....

35xj

Adventurer
That's close to my build. 05 cummins truck. Leveled, airbag rear. Currently on 35's and waiting on my 37's to arrive. fWC grandby. Got my factory bed off yesterday, headed out to pick up my aluminum flatbed tomorow morning.
Looks as though I will go from the 1 1/2 over the cab to about 5". Will most likely mount a Yakima bar with wind fairing to try to break up some of the airflow

driller

old soul wanderer
DSCN5711.JPG 2015 ram 2500 with 6.4 hemi. 4:56 gears other wise stock. The camper is a Northstar TC850SC. Loaded weight is sitting at 9200. Stock suspension no airbags, stock 33" tires. Last trip through Utah and Colorado average was 12.3 MPG. Truck handles weight beautifully.

sg1

Adventurer
Hawk on 2015 F150 Crew Cab with 3.5 Ecoboost. Everything stock. Weight of truck and Hawk fully loaded with gear for 5 weeks to Yukon plus me and my wife 7700 lbs. Mileage over 4,000 miles 17.4mpg hand calculated.
Stefan

lzpup

Observer
Just setting mine up like some of your options, 2006 mega cab cummins , flatbed with slide in hawk. Flatbed has a ways to go and custom boxes.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/133994-Ram-2500-06-Mega-

Working with the guy who welded up the bed to bring the height down. The Fourwheel camper guys said 4-6 inches over the cab is idea, enough for flex side to side, but not to much to catch air. The flatbed specific campers from fourwheel have the same camper height, but fill in some of the space over the camper with an underbed storage. One option might be to fill the space and put a air deflector in front. I would like to reduce the drag a bit and lower the center of gravity a bit. I'll see what tricks I can pull to get it from the current 10 inches of clearance to about 5. Some say you can remove the stringers.. but that does not sound good to me.

Gorgor

I'm in the process of a similar set up for my 2018 Super Doody. Ordered a custom Duramag aluminum shortbed. Duramag was super accommodating with customization. D rings wherever I wanted them, reinforcement plating where I plan on bolting down my slide in Hawk, etc. I'm doing topsider/underbody boxes that I'm shaving the box depth down from 18" to 14" and am putting a slim 30 gal h2o tank between the headboard and the front of the camper. Hardest part will be waiting for the bed. Not getting it until December. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman