Star Trails August 2011!!

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Not affiliated, but I am going!

(I posted this in the Mog section as well, I hope this is not considered a re-post, as I figure it is a different community. If so, sorry, feel free to remove.)

Star Trails August 2011
Well folks it is getting to be that time again. As I understand it the Star Trails from MB Club of America is going again next year.

The event will take place in the San Juan mountains, the steepest range in the Rockies with peaks rising to 14,000 feet. The participants will drive the high country roads over a variety of terrain. Wildflowers and ghost towns are plentiful!

Did anyone here go last time? It sounds like those who went to the last Star trails in 2003 had a great time.

In 2011 they are going to be in Ouray Colorado, which I have been to several times, and I am looking forward to it already! There are amazing paved roads for those who avoid dirt, some of the trails are amazingly easy and any 4x4 could do it even bone stock, and then there are a few that can challenge us all in our more fun wheeling experiences.

Some of the mountain tops (like Imogene pass) get over 13,000 feet!

It is also close to Teluride, Silverton, and Durango, down in the south-western corner of CO.

August

I also know they did something last year they called “Star Lite” and I will see if I can get some information on that for you if you are interested.

Here are some links from the one they did last time.

STAR TRAILS 2003 - Oct 10 - 13 [Archive] - Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums

Star Trails 2003 [Archive] - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/g-class/187006-g-treffen-fun.html

At any rate, I am planning on going and I thought I would see if anyone else is going to be there!

Brian

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Just a reminder to everyone, time to get this on your schedule!

I love Ouray too, so I am doubly excited!

Last edited:

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
So is anyone thinking of going to this?

I am hoping to see some folks there that I know. I guess they are going all out with certified instructional drivers and everything.

burquedoka

Adventurer
It's very possible I'll be in Ouray over that weekend. I don't really feel like joining any organized "events", but it might be fun to show up some M classes out on the trails:wings:

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Up to you, it should be fun to see them all out there.

I am going to take my Jeep (yeah, no cash to buy an M or G sadly) I wish I had a benz to take up there, but not in the cards it seems.

So far, I must say, I have been very impressed with what an M can do off road. I know that the G in the hands of a person who knows what they are doing (namely YOU) is very capable, but I think the M in the same hands would be darn close.

I am surprised no one has picked up that mog from you yet.

burquedoka

Adventurer
Gee shucks, thanks for the vote of confidence:bike_rider: It now looks like the rest of my gang was thinking about going up there earlier in the month, so we'll probably just miss you, oh well. It's too bad it happens after the kiddos go back to school.

Yeah Iam surprised I haven't sold the rock mog yet too, except no one is ready to drop cash on toys yet, at least not odd expensive toys. I'd really like to sell her so I can buy a tear drop, I just can't justify having both.:drool:

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Haha,

umm... Nope...

Sorry, go out and pick up an ML and come along. You would be amazed at how well those things do off road, and even more amazed at what they can do on the road! Wow I love that vehicle.

gbenzer

Ouray, Star Trails

I'm going to be there. I was there last year and had a great time. I've never done a MBCA event but I'm willing to give it a try because I think it will be fun. Count two heads and one G-Wagen in from Georgia.

Last edited:

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
I'll be there as well.

Just send off the app form & check to register - not a member but signed up as a guest.

See if that's will work

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Haha,

umm... Nope...

Sorry, go out and pick up an ML and come along. You would be amazed at how well those things do off road, and even more amazed at what they can do on the road! Wow I love that vehicle.

Too bad

Last edited:

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I think you would do JUST FINE!

My Father has an ML on typical street tires and he is going to be one of the ones leading the event. Just do not do the extreme trails. Most of the trails they will do will be easy for you to handle with a little patience and good spotters outside telling you where to turn and how far to go.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
How would a ML 350 Bluetec on road tires fair on this trip?

Just remember you do not have a spare tire. And I believe the run flat has limited run time. I know because I have a ML350 Bluetec as well....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman