Star Trails - Night on the move

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Okay, without descending into an african swallow/coconut type discussion, how are you doing these shots? I spent hours at night on the rim of the grand canyon trying out various settings and shutter speeds, and just got crap.

The only night shot that I got that was even usable were these two (obviously not star trail duration exposures)

Nathan, here's a link to an interesting article on star trail photos. the author has some pretty specific exposure recommendations based on the phase of the moon. They seem to roughly be in line with some of the exposures people on this thread have mentioned.

I'm headed out to Chaco Canyon next week, and am planning to try to capture some star photos. I've never tried this before, so it should be interesting.

suntinez

Explorer
If you love star trails, I recommend checking out this flickr set. He has settings listed in several of his pics, and posts on the photo forum.

This guy goes to amazing places and takes amazing photos. I'm sure he has thousands of hours into this work. It’s hard to pick just one …

set-72157624629859170

set-72157624629859170

Hmm can't link directly, believe me - go check it out!

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I tried capturing a few star trail images while we were out in Chaco Canyon last week. Not really crazy about any of the results, but here's the best one:

Star-Trails-1-XL.jpg

This was a 30 minute exposure at f4 with ISO set to 400

A few lessons from my first attempts at this genre:

1. It really does help if you compose your shot in the daylight before it becomes totally dark (doh!).
2. I discovered my D70 is limited to a 30 minute exposure. Obviously this limits the length of the trail I can capture without going to multiple exposures and combining images, but still long enough to get some interesting results IMO.
3. Fully charged and healthy batteries are important. I found a 30 minute exposure would take a battery showing fully charged on the camera down to about 25% charge. Ambient temps were probably 30-35* or so, which is probably cold enough to affect battery charge. Also, my batteries are kind of old, dating back to when the D70 was actually a camera that people wanted to buy. Finally, it should be noted I had noise reduction turned on which results in a lot of post exposure in camera number crunching.
4. I need more practice with light painting - I had a few flubbed shots due to over zealous attempts.

It was a lot of fun and I plan to try some more when I get a chance.

photoman

Explorer
A few lessons from my first attempts at this genre:

1. It really does help if you compose your shot in the daylight before it becomes totally dark (doh!).
2. I discovered my D70 is limited to a 30 minute exposure. Obviously this limits the length of the trail I can capture without going to multiple exposures and combining images, but still long enough to get some interesting results IMO.
3. Fully charged and healthy batteries are important. I found a 30 minute exposure would take a battery showing fully charged on the camera down to about 25% charge. Ambient temps were probably 30-35* or so, which is probably cold enough to affect battery charge. Also, my batteries are kind of old, dating back to when the D70 was actually a camera that people wanted to buy. Finally, it should be noted I had noise reduction turned on which results in a lot of post exposure in camera number crunching.
4. I need more practice with light painting - I had a few flubbed shots due to over zealous attempts.

It was a lot of fun and I plan to try some more when I get a chance.

All very good points.

It helps to be with another photographer or someone that might be able to hold a light for you. This can help with composition and focus.
The cameras that have live view can cheat and use the magnification to manually focus on an area. Setting your focus to jest left of infinity also helps with focus issues.
Pickup an intervalometer to get longer exposures.
Cold does play a huge part in battery life as well as your willingness to spend the time to get a good shot. Extra batteries are good and an intervalometer allows you to walk back to camp or a warm vehicle.

I have fun playing with night photography and night photography even if the shots do not turn out that great. It is always a good challenge.

suntinez

Explorer
I think that came out nice Dave! I like the contrast you got.

One thing I've found in composing in the dark is to temporarily up the ISO setting to 800-1000 to test what you're seeing, then dial it back down for the long exposure.

If you want to try stacking without investing money in editing software there's some freeware here to try it.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Looks good to me Dave

Suntinez said:
I think that came out nice Dave! I like the contrast you got.

Thanks Pat and Linda. Technically I was happy with the result, especially considering this was a first try. I'm just not sure the composition does anything for me.

What I had hoped to do was capture a picture with a wall of a Chaco ruin in the foreground (Or is that simply "on the ground" in this case?) and the star trails in the background. Unfortunately, once we arrived there I learned that all the ruins in Chaco are off limits after dark.

Photoman said:
It helps to be with another photographer or someone that might be able to hold a light for you. This can help with composition and focus.
The cameras that have live view can cheat and use the magnification to manually focus on an area. Setting your focus to jest left of infinity also helps with focus issues.
Pickup an intervalometer to get longer exposures.
Cold does play a huge part in battery life as well as your willingness to spend the time to get a good shot. Extra batteries are good and an intervalometer allows you to walk back to camp or a warm vehicle.

Some good suggestions here, thanks.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i here what your saying about the composition, but the pic itself looks good, unlike mine, whats the deal with the light corners? never had that happen before

DSC00012.jpg

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Just wild guess not based on any knowledge whatsoever. :sombrero: Is there any chance you had shined a light on the back of camera during the exposure? Sometimes you can get light bleeding through from the view finder but I don't know if that would only effect the corners like that or not. You can use the viewfinder cover if your camera came with one or just tape it over to eliminate the risk.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I had a similar problem when I was messing around near the camera with a light during the exposure, but only in one corner. Not sure how that might happen in two corners, but maybe the light would come through the viewfinder as Brad suggested.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
i here what your saying about the composition, but the pic itself looks good, unlike mine, whats the deal with the light corners? never had that happen before
That's amp noise generated by the sensor during a long exposure. Some camera's are more prone then others to it. It was prevalent in some older DSLR's from a few years back, I know the Nikon D80 had it bad, like that. Most newer models handle amp noise pretty well now.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
thanks for suggestions guys, i have heard of amp noise but havent had this pop up in any of the long exp shots i've done previous to this particular night. i am carefull with light sources during long exp. but its always possible. i did turn off long exp nr this time, maybe thats all it is.

nothing to do but more pics and more experimenting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle