stick

Adventurer
Started work on my M416. This is what I started with:

trailersidebd5.jpg

trailerxf4.jpg

I parked it in the garage and disassembled it:

frame2va3.jpg

bedmx5.jpg

After several hours with an angle grinder, I had the frame pretty well cleaned up. I then gave it two coats of POR-15 and a top coat of rattle can semi-flat black:

framepaint2wx8.jpg

framepainthi0.jpg

stick

Adventurer
I gave the wheels a few coats of olive drab green:
wheelsyz5.jpg

After a few more hours with the angle grinder I had the bottom of the tub ready to go. I painted the underside of the tub with 2 coats of POR-15. I'm not going to top coat it since the POR-15 on the underside isn't going to see any sunlight:

bottompaintdu9.jpg

More pics coming soon...

uphill

Observer
I'm interested in your modification work and will be watching your progress.:lurk:

Are you going to run the same wheels/tires on the trailer that you are running on your tow vehicle eventually? (if not, why not)

I haven't taken the plunge on an expedition trailer yet and am still considering it. My experience has been that if one member has a trailer, everybody more or less needs one because your off-road speed is limited to about 50% of what you'd be able to do without the trailer in-tow. However there are some real advantages in terms of space and weight when towing (everything's a trade-off).

stick

Adventurer
A few more update pictures:

I rewired the trailer. The old wiring was pretty loose and the wires were just twisted together and electrical taped. I soldered the wires and made everything nice and tight. I used zip ties to hold the wiring nice and snug to the frame. I also re-installed the lights and military data tag on the frame:

wiringlightsbg0.jpg

Next up was several house on the angle grinder again with the wire brush attachment. I knocked off all the loose paint and rust. I then gave the bottom of the bed, fenders, and anything else that was rusty a coat of POR-15

interiorbedzt6.jpg

bedpor15cj3.jpg

Next up was primer. It could have used a little more primer, but I ran out, so that will have to do. I also painted the hard to reach places with rattle can olive drab. I figured those would be the spots that would be hard to get with the air compressor powered spray gun.

primerkv6.jpg

I had to re-install the bed on the frame because I'm transporting the trailer to my parent's house this week where I'll paint it. I had some issues getting the trailer to fit on the frame and for the holes to line up, but I guess that's understandable since I dropped the bed once when I was moving it and and flipped it over twice to work on it. I'd imagine things shifted a little. With a little muscle, I was able to get it back on and bolted down with new grade 8 hardware. Pulleys are great!

reinstallbeduv7.jpg

stick

Adventurer
uphill said:
I'm interested in your modification work and will be watching your progress.:lurk: Are you going to run the same wheels/tires on the trailer that you are running on your tow vehicle eventually? (if not, why not)

I'll eventually swap out the tires for something else. I'm not a fan of the Goodyear Wrangler tires. I've had a few sets and they didn't work out very well for me. I'll probably keep the rims. I like the looks of tires and wheels matching the tow rig, but I have several different tow rigs that will be pulling this trailer (Cherokee, Liberty, Wrangler, etc.) so that would be impossible. The wheels are the same ones that are on my old '40s Willys CJ2A, so I kind of like the wheels. I have a matching wheel coming in the mail this week, so I'll use that as my spare in case I get a flat.

It's pretty much just body work and frame work for now. After that I will be mounting some accessories: spare wheel, jerry can(s), ammo can(s), axe, shovel, etc. etc. I'd also like to use some kind of bed liner on the interior of the bed. It will probably be either Herculiner or Durabak.

7slotgrills

Observer
Looks good !Can't wait to get back out there on my M100.
We are rebuilding history by working on these tailers.
Keep up the good work.

archtimb

Adventurer
Looking really good!

Just park it outside. I'll pick it up after I drop my Wife down the road. What time do you leave for work again?

KIDDING!

Seriously, I'll PM you the next time I am heading down your tree lined street. Be great to talk Expo.

Mitch

Shadow-Warrior

Observer
Nice build on the trailer, I'm subscribing to this thread. I plan on doing something like this down the road. I have been pricing trailers for the last two years and they seam to run anywhere from $500-$1,200 for a new Canadian M101. The 1-1/4 ton and up are all over the place, but way to heavy and big for what I want. It's getting harder to find the 1/4 ton trailers now a days in good shape. Nice job, can't wait to see the finished project. :)

Mike

stick

Adventurer
Update 3/13/08

I got it all painted up. Not the best paint job, but it looks better than what it did before I started. Yes, the parking leg is bent.

finalbc2.jpg

final2xo6.jpg

finalfronttw5.jpg

finalbackey3.jpg

stick

Adventurer
While I had the trailer and the camera out I figured I'd get a few pics of the trailer and my Willys together:

cj2am416wd7.jpg

cj2aandm416vn3.jpg

Scout957

Hi There, I just wanted to say great job on the painting. I like the color. I just picked up a jeep trailer and am looking to do some painting as well. What color or type/brand did you go with? Again fantastic work all around. Enjoy your new addition!

Last edited:

IH8RDS

Explorer
Looks good Stick.

I ended up removing those hooks because I couldn't get them to hook up to my hitch on the XJ. I just use those hooks chain connectors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman