starter motor for a Land Rover Lightweight?

telwyn

Adventurer
Not to beat a dead horse, but any thoughts on the MSD Starter? Per PartsTrain http://www2.partstrain.com/store/?N=5617&Nr=OR(AND(make:Land%20Rover,model:Land%20Rover,year:1974),AND(universal:1))&Vi=10972+1654+4294966745&y=1974&mk=Land%20Rover&md=Land%20Rover it supposedly works on Series Rovers, but I'm not sure if the Series III has 153 or 168 teeth on the flywheel (both of which are supposedly compatible with the MSD starter).

The MSD http://www.msdignition.com/2006/06-2.htm site itself confirms this one fits 153 and 168 teeth, but says it's for a Chevy V8. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I've got the older starter out, but haven't pulled the trigger yet on a new one.

telwyn

Adventurer
As a follow up, I finally found a Mean Green Starter online for the Land Rover Series III. Mean Green Starters for Jeeps are easy to find, but Rovers are not and per earlier guidance I was trying to buy from a middle man since it was suggested I may get better customer service that way versus going direct.

Installing the Mean Green on the Lightweight was a bear I think both because it was an aftermarket starter AND the Lightweight's military dimensions aren't exact to the civilian specs. It was a tight fit lengthwise despite being a smaller starter. Long story short, I finally got the starter in, but couldn't get enough clearance to tighten the bolts and ensure a proper fit with the flywheel.

I could get a wrench and a socket on there, but didn't have enough clearance to tighten. Finally had to call my step-father who is a Snap On dealer and buy another ratchet that has more clicks to it (shows I'm not very mechanically inclined) so I could tighten the bolt all the way.

With the starter finally in, the wiring was a piece of cake. Simply connected the wire from the older starter to the new and I was good to go.

The Rover cranks incredibly well now - more starting power and it just sounds much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12