Starting another one... Looking for some advice before I hit "Submit"

Markeyro

So I'm juuuust about to buy a cargo trailer which I'll be converting (like many before me) into an expedition trailer.

I have a few questions which i'd love some feedback on.

Quick background:
- I'm 6'3" 40year old dude. (READ FULL SIZE BED for me and wife)
- 2 Boys, 10 and 13 (READ WALL MOUNT BUNK BED SETUP)
- Wife, somewhat of a diva, but up for some adventuring...
- Looking over the next 8 or so years to get out there for 2-3 weeks at a time and see North America in more of a focused way.
- Also be using it with my friends as we do sundry adventures in the Midwest.

Okay here's what I'm looking at:
- 6x12 Cargo Trailer
- Adding 6" so I can actually stand up.
- This will be a work in progress, add a little as we go.

Here's my questions:
1. Worth it to go a bit wider, 7'? A 6' wide trailer is actually 5'7" finished inside. It's small.
2. What about the V Nose Trailers? Advantage? Disadvantages? Seem awkward to deal with inside, but get a bit better wind performance down the road I understand.
3. I'm going with a ramp down model in the back, use it as a deck. How do people feel about the "SOLID WALL" kitchen in the back? I'm considering a modular type setup that I can pull out of the trailer and utilize the side of the trailer so that we can cook outside, but if we need to could still utilize the gear inside as well. I don't like the idea of not being able to access the inside of the trailer b/c the galley is in the way.
4. Should I pay the 150 bucks to have them insulate it or should I mess with it myself?
5. I'll be doing all the electrical myself and feel comfortable with that plan.
6. Plumbing. I'd invite thoughts. I need to minimally have a shower setup for the outside for my lady. She really would like one inside, but no friggin room. Is it enough to do hot showers or should I work towards full on hot water? The plan changes significantly if I need a legit "RV Water Heater" vs. the ole Econotemp Propane Shower Setup. Thoughts? Opinions?
7. Pay for factory ladder rack or just wait and add my own later on? Nothing exciting about their racks...
8. General Thoughts? I'm at the stage where any input is welcome. Speak your words of wisdom...

Thanks for any feedback. I'll keep on reading anything I can find out there...
mark

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
So I'm juuuust about to buy a cargo trailer which I'll be converting (like many before me) into an expedition trailer.

I have a few questions which i'd love some feedback on.

Quick background:
- I'm 6'3" 40year old dude. (READ FULL SIZE BED for me and wife). I didn't know they stacked ******** that high (you had see that coming)...icebreaker complete!
- 2 Boys, 10 and 13 (READ WALL MOUNT BUNK BED SETUP)
- Wife, somewhat of a diva, but up for some adventuring...Everyone will benefit from your level of comfort you're willing to commit to
- Looking over the next 8 or so years to get out there for 2-3 weeks at a time and see North America in more of a focused way.
- Also be using it with my friends as we do sundry adventures in the Midwest.They're all friends until they want to use your hot shower and potty

Okay here's what I'm looking at:
- 6x12 Cargo Traileri think that's a bit short unless you're willing to go with the 7' wide
- Adding 6" so I can actually stand up.Think about a "pop top" only where needed
- This will be a work in progress, add a little as we go.99% builds start there...and spiral out of control from that point

Here's my questions:
1. Worth it to go a bit wider, 7'? A 6' wide trailer is actually 5'7" finished inside. It's small.7' for sure, even though you're a big guy, you can sleep sideways...which can save a few feet in length
2. What about the V Nose Trailers? Advantage? Disadvantages? Seem awkward to deal with inside, but get a bit better wind performance down the road I understand.ive seen some pretty cool kitchens and bathrooms designed in the V nose
3. I'm going with a ramp down model in the back, use it as a deck. How do people feel about the "SOLID WALL" kitchen in the back? I'm considering a modular type setup that I can pull out of the trailer and utilize the side of the trailer so that we can cook outside, but if we need to could still utilize the gear inside as well. I don't like the idea of not being able to access the inside of the trailer b/c the galley is in the way.I don't have the plan in front of me, but at one point I thought the drop down ramp would make a great "room"...but not for cooking...cook outside, if need be install a drop down kitchen on the outside with an awning over it
4. Should I pay the 150 bucks to have them insulate it or should I mess with it myself?
5. I'll be doing all the electrical myself and feel comfortable with that plan.insulate and do your own wiring
6. Plumbing. I'd invite thoughts. I need to minimally have a shower setup for the outside for my lady. She really would like one inside, but no friggin room. Is it enough to do hot showers or should I work towards full on hot water? The plan changes significantly if I need a legit "RV Water Heater" vs. the ole Econotemp Propane Shower Setup. Thoughts? Opinions?L5 all the way, but some room inside to build your honey a proper cassette toilet...trust me, it'll be worth it
7. Pay for factory ladder rack or just wait and add my own later on? Nothing exciting about their racks...
8. General Thoughts? I'm at the stage where any input is welcome. Speak your words of wisdom...Wisdom??...lol...I always did entertain over a long period of time about a cargo trailer...at the end of the day it just made too much sense, and was too economically feasible ...I thinks there's just tons of possibilities, but you're on the right track for sure

Thanks for any feedback. I'll keep on reading anything I can find out there...
mark

So there you have it, I think a good quality cargo would yield an awesome handmade camper project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears