Starting with a FG dump truck...

joshuakampa

Hi all,

My fiancee and I are getting close to pulling the trigger on a used FG to build a custom camper with. Almost all the FG's I've seen here in the NE are dump/plow setups, and I'm having a hard time figuring out how we're going to get rid of the dump body. I've called a dozen truck dealers/upfitters around the area and not one of them buys used bodies... aside from straight scrapping the steel, how have others who have converted dump FG's to campers gone about dealing with the removal & (hopefully) sale?

thanks,

Joshua & Rebecca

Last edited:

yabanja

Explorer
Hi all,

My fiancee and I are getting close to pulling the trigger on a used FG to build a custom camper with. Almost all the FG's I've seen here in the NE are dump/plow setups, and I'm having a hard time figuring out how we're going to get rid of the dump body. I've called a dozen truck dealers/upfitters around the area and not one of them buys used bodies... aside from straight scrapping the steel, how have others who have converted dump FG's to campers gone about dealing with the removal & (hopefully) sale?

thanks,

Joshua & Rebecca

I am facing the same dilemma. Mine has a flat bed/lift gate combo. I have been quoted $250 by a local truck shop to remove it but they will "dispose" of it at no charge. I know it is worth at least $300 in scrap metal! I figure I will torch off the liftgate myself and sell it on craigslist and am undecided whether I want to try messing with taking the rest of the bed to the scrap yard on a rented trailer or not....

For the time being having a liftgated flatbed truck makes me very popular with my friends... ie moving/mulch/rock etc... ;-)

Allan

quickfarms

Adventurer
First thing you need to worry about is the condition of the truck. In addition to the usual mechanical issues you have to be concerned with rust and bent or cracked frames. A plow puts a lot of stress on the frame.

You have several options.

A lot of it depends on the condition of the bed. Some beds are not worth saving due to rust and bent floors.

The big question is weather the truck has a wet kit or just a electric pump to dump and power the plow. A wet kit can be repurposed to power a hydraulic winch.

You could just sell it outright through CL or truck trader.

Another option is to look for used truck yards and make deal to swap the dump for a flatbed to use as a base. LKQ has a network of truck wrecking yards.

Just remember that the dump bed is an intermediate size that has limited applications.

joshuakampa

Thanks for the good info, guys.

I'm aware of the problematic nature of ex-plow trucks, and though I'd love to find a babied FG, they just don't happen around here. One of the conditions of my fiancee's commitment to the project is that we buy an automatic FG, and that also narrows it down considerably.

A swap for a flatbed sounds good but I'd ideally want to make my own flatbed, keeping the bed width the same as the cab instead of the 8' standard. We currently live on a sailboat, so it may be possible to sweet talk the marina into letting us store the old body on the property while we post it on trucktrader or the like, but if not we'd have to arrange a swap or such... we're about 3 blocks from the scrap yard and mild steel's going for about 250/tn so I figure they may wanna crane it off for a few bucks...

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Welcome! - Even though you may be tempted to buy local, the better truck may be some distance away from you. Find the right truck for you, wherever in the US it may be. I bought an FG in CA and drove it back to the east coast because it was the right truck.

As you know, buying an FG is not an impulse buy where you decide to buy one today and get one tomorrow. Get to know the market, what the prices are like, and watch inventories around the country. When the right truck comes up be ready to jump on it.

I bought mine the same day it came on the market - but it was after a lot (months) of market research and knowing exactly what I was looking for. Because I was ready, I think I was able to react more quickly than others that were interested.

Good luck!

joshuakampa

Welcome! - Even though you may be tempted to buy local, the better truck may be some distance away from you. Find the right truck for you, wherever in the US it may be. I bought an FG in CA and drove it back to the east coast because it was the right truck.

As you know, buying an FG is not an impulse buy where you decide to buy one today and get one tomorrow. Get to know the market, what the prices are like, and watch inventories around the country. When the right truck comes up be ready to jump on it.

I bought mine the same day it came on the market - but it was after a lot (months) of market research and knowing exactly what I was looking for. Because I was ready, I think I was able to react more quickly than others that were interested.

Good luck!

Thanks for the sage advice, Pugslyyy. I've been obsessively reading this forum and other sources for about 4 months now, checking CL and ebay several times a day, and staying up too late most nights scouring all over the web for parts, tips, and build stories. My fiancee is starting to get a bit worried, but she's been through this before when we bought our sailboat ;)

There's still plenty to figure out; SWR conversion (and hopefully not having to register as a commercial vehicle as a result) being top of the list, the design and fab of the flatbed and camper shell (I'll save that for the summer when its above freezing here in MA)....

The one thing we keep flip-flopping on is the 4x4 question- Micklongley and others seem to have build pretty awesome rigs on 2wd Fuso platforms, and going with FE or FH or Isuzu leaves about $10K more in the pocket for upgrades and exploration than a comparable FG. Also, Rebecca is pretty keen on staying away from a manual transmission (what they call "standard" here) (and, I know...) so an automatic tranny is, perhaps somewhat unfortunately, a must-have and that narrows the field down pretty quickly, FG-wise, and limits the options to the 133" wheelbase models. I'm on the fence as to whether that's a good or bad thing- the 109" WB is certainly appealing for overall daily driver use (which the truck will be with a flat- or stake- bed) but as i'm thinking a 13-14'ish camper build perhaps the medium WB is preferable.

This community is amazing, and besides being a wealth of info and ideas, it's ultimately inspiring to see such a large and diverse set of folks sharing a broad yet common passion for a different way of living and experiencing the world. Moving onto our sailboat brought us into contact with this dream- we're excited to expand it with our expedition rig project. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Joshua

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
limits the options to the 133" wheelbase models. I'm on the fence as to whether that's a good or bad thing- the 109" WB is certainly appealing for overall daily driver use (which the truck will be with a flat- or stake- bed) but as i'm thinking a 13-14'ish camper build perhaps the medium WB is preferable.
MY '02 FG has the 133" wheelbase and it will drive circles around every truck I have driven. The front wheels of the Fuso have a great turning angle then 'normal' trucks have so the are extremely maneuverable.
-
Scubagai has a 12 foot box on his 109" WB Photos Here and it looks very balanced IMO.
According to the Mitsubishi Body Builder Data (FE.FG 8-2-1) for the FG84 (112.6" WB) recommended bodies are 12' & 13' and for the (136.2" WB) recommended bodies are 14',15' &16'.

dlh62c

Explorer
......but as i'm thinking a 13-14'ish camper build perhaps the medium WB is preferable.

A 14' body is as small as I would go.

Tape off a 8'x14' rectangle somewhere on a floor, it'll give you some spacial awareness of just how small it is. Then tape off the dinette, kitchen and sleeping areas, you'll quickly sense things closing in on you.

There's a Stealth Camper Build over at TruckConversion.net. Its based on a 2002 Mitsubishi Fuso FE, with a 14 foot FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Plywood) box on the back.

You might look at Kim & Don Greene's Fuso Pictures and their vehicle build photos.

Last edited:

joshuakampa

Tape off a 8'x14' rectangle somewhere on a floor, it'll give you some spacial awareness of just how small it is. Then tape off the dinette, kitchen and sleeping areas, you'll quickly sense things closing in on you.

There's a Stealth Camper Build over at TruckConversion.net. Its based on a 2002 Mitsubishi Fuso FE, with a 14 foot FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Plywood) box on the back.

You might look at Kim & Don Greene's Fuso Pictures and their vehicle build photos.

We currently live aboard a 9.5m sailboat- there's roughly 100ft² of living space... I'm thinking a 7.5'ish width, so around 13' long should give us the same rough sq footage. add the 7' overhead (6' in some places, <6' most places on the boat) and the more rectilinear layout afforded by the box and I'm hoping I can design a very livable camper with decent storage. I promised the gal a real bathtub, too, so the challenge is in place :)

(tub will probably be under a dinette seat, but a tub is a tub ;)

scubagai

Observer

If you are not going to go offroad too much, stick with an FE, NPR/Isuzu and use the money saved to travel and build your camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior