steel wheel opinons

LandRoverHyter

Adventurer
What jeeps and years had the 17 inch steel winter wheels from the factory? I'm going to try and dig up some at a local junk yard. Thanks

apalmer

Adventurer
Thanks to this thread, I have decided to buy the mopar steelies, paint them commando green, and install them next spring.

Tires too probably.

it has been brought up earlier in this thread but think long and hard about unsprung weight of steel wheels vs aluminum and what that does to your fuel economy

paulsmith

it has been brought up earlier in this thread but think long and hard about unsprung weight of steel wheels vs aluminum and what that does to your fuel economy

each amount of weight more on each wheel is the same as carrying four times that weight on the trunk. Or at least that´s what I´ve read once on the internet.

wanabxtrm

Observer
Just to clarify neither the mopar winter steelies nor the older Grand Cherokee steelie spares required a spacer to clear the calipers on JK's is that correct?

I have an 08 GC CRD and an 08 JKU that I'm trying to swap wheels around for to have a second set for winter tires. Currently have 2 sets of rubicon rims (picked up one set for free). Turns out the rubi rims don't quite clear the CRD'cs front calipers.

Thanks for the info, and yea I'm a sucker for white steel rims.

madmax718

Explorer
I actually run those 16" steelies on my WJ. I like pizza cutters. I used to love fat wide tires, but pizza cutters are here to stay in my book.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I also like the look of steel rims in white or the body color - but those mopar winter wheels look funny to me - too flat and dished. I prefer the look of the winter wheels from TireRack which are more standard type with lots of the smaller holes. I prefer those over the steel wheels from the JK sport models also...

TireRack also has some 17 inch winter wheels (steel) for $72 each. Look just like the $58 16 inch ones (might be a generic photo though).

mikeg1713

Adventurer
I have the winter wheels. I really like them and the fact that they are 17" is awesome. The 17" keeps good wheel clearance for obstructions in the brakes as well as better cooling. This is my wife's jeep on 33x9.5 KM2's.

032b4e4a20d395524c03047939bea5ee_zps1e461ad8.jpg

Kohburn

Adventurer

weight difference between most steel and aluminum wheels is minimal. the difference in tire changes to the weight is a lot more significant.

heehawhardy

Adventurering
When I had my 17" Mopar WinterWheels (Full Size Steelies) compared to my 17" Moabs, the weight difference was substantial

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears