Steering box bad?

Luckychase5

Adventurer
So my steering has been getting sloppier and so I took a look at my steering box. This is what I found. Looks like the shaft that attaches to the pitman arm is getting a little stripped and the nut is loosening itself. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401592217.030144.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401592227.361369.jpg Any ideas? Ram truck guys? I know your out there.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Not familiar with the Dodge but most sector shafts have tapered splines. The pitman arm presses onto the shaft. Even after taking the nut off, the arm will need to come off with a puller. It should be easy to inspect the shaft while someone is inside turning the wheel to see if something is loose.

4x4junkie

Explorer
The splines are probably damaged, which means you're likely looking at both a new steering gear (or at minimum, a replacement sector shaft), and a new pitman arm.
Be sure the splines are free of any dirt, paint, or other matter before installing the new pitman to the sector shaft, then torque the nut to spec (usually around 200-250ft-lbs).

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Ill have a look at mine today and see if it looks the same. I suspect papa is correct that it is tapered, and what you are seeing is normal. There should be a castle nut and cotter pin on that unit, so I don't see how it could be coming loose?

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
How sloppy is sloppy?

It's been a while since I drove a new truck - but I don't recall ever driving a Dodge pickup that didn't have sloppy steering.

gsanders

Observer
Dodge trucks are notoriously sloppy. Some blame a poor frame design in the front which flexes too much, others blame dropping in a heavy diesel engine into a front end that is not that strong, the opinions are endless. I will say that I used to drive an early 2000s 2500 gasser for work and the steering was just about as bad as my 2001 CTD. However, I digress. I just looked at my steering shaft and it looks exactly like yours, although a bit dirtier. If I were you, I would go on Cummins Forum and read up on the steering improvements. Here is my general synopsis of reading many posts from there, as I am hopefully going to redo my entire front end this year:

1) Improve the steering by adding steering support brace. Many companies essential make a brace that ties the two frame rails together (commonly called the BD Brace) that will improve the steering. Downside is that the frame rails are tied together and steering components can be damamaged because of the reduced flex. Supposedly, the Dodge Off Road brace eliminates this and this is what I plan on purchasing (there are threads on both Cummins Forum and ExPo about the DOR brace)

2) Upgrade the steering components by buying the Mopar 4th Generation steering kit. Do a search on Cummins Forum for this and you will get the Mopar part number. It is about $250-300 and it is all of the major components to upgrade the steering from a Y linkage to a T linkage. Supposedly, it vastly improves the steering and, again, it is what I plan on purchasing. There are also many aftermarket options to do something similar, but for the ease or part replacement in the future, I like OEM. I believe you can also swap in 3rd Generation gear to improve the steering, but supposedly the 4th generation is much stronger (larger, thicker tubing, etc.)

3) Upgrade the steering box. Redheads are highly recommended, although I recently read about a larger box from Borgeson I think? I'm not quite sure of that, but the Redheads seem to get good reviews, although I have seen some unhappy reports.

4) Upgrade the track bar. Again, take your pick of beefed up aftermarket or an OEM track bar from a 3rd or 4th generation Ram. I believe the 3rd generation is a direct bolt on swap with no modifications but the new bar has stronger tubing. Some of the aftermarket track bars are adjustable and others swap out the weak tie rod ends for stronger and more durable heim connections.

5) Upgrade the tie rod ends and bushings. Lots of aftermarket discussion on Cummins Forum. Moogs and XRF are highly recommended for TREs.

6) Install the Rock Solid Ram steering column bushing to replace the lower steering column bushing. There is not as much talk about this on Cummins Forum but it seems like an easy improvement that is cheap and from what I have read on the forum it seems to help. My steering is starting to make a rub noise when I turn lock to lock and I believe it might be a worn bushing on the column.

Okay, so I think that is my summary of my research so far. My general plan this year is make most of those improvements as time and money allows. My guess is that on your truck you are starting to feel the wear from worn out TREs combined with the sloppy original design and possibly some wear in the box. My guess is that your spline and pitman arm are fine.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

ExpoMike

Have someone inside, with the engine off but key turned to allow the steering lock to disengage. You look at the pitman arm/steering box and have them trying to turn it slightly to the left and right. If the pitman arm is loose on the shaft, you will see the shaft rotate but not the arm. If those look like they are moving as one unit, then start looking at the drag link joints at the pitman arm and spindle. See if they try to move as one or if the pitman arm moves without the drag link trying to move. If that is not a problem, then look at the track bar. See if the body moves with the steering motion or not. This will help to narrow down what is worn out and then replace those items.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My steering on the '98.5 was wandermatic but compared to my F-250 w.TTB frontend I was in heaven.
www.ntgracing.net has a source in Santee,Ca that supplies an all heim joint frontend for the 2nd gens. Stock wheels won't work though.
Joe the owner was amazed at the improvement.
They install a fair share of steering boxes.
Tying in the front frame rails with a lightbar helps some too.
The hydroformed frames on the 3rds are the stiffest out there.

tkic

i had ton of steering play and narrowed most of it down to a worn box. replaced it wit a borgeson unit because i liked the warranty better than the redhead. it was $380 as i recall. had to grind down the shaft a little to fit- its easy and well documented. major improvement. i did the brace first but didnt notice any difference. have someone wiggle the wheel and watch the output on the box. i'm in portland too and benched with an assortment of broken bones- pm me if you want to see my setup.

82fb

Adventurer
Ill have a look at mine today and see if it looks the same. I suspect papa is correct that it is tapered, and what you are seeing is normal. There should be a castle nut and cotter pin on that unit, so I don't see how it could be coming loose?

I have never seen a castle nut and cotter pin on a pitman arm. Is it a dodge thing?

lil_sam1983

I have a 07 2500 CTD, and have replaced the steering gear box on it. Crawl under there and grab the steering shaft that runs from the gear box to the steering wheel and see if you have play. I was getting some weak steering and a discernible clunk in the brake pedal and steering wheel. I ended up replacing the box. If a bad gear box turns out to be the culprit, I suggest spending a little more and getting a higher end unit. I went with a NAPA rebuilt one and and need to replace it less than a year later.

I have been enjoying watching Han Solo come along, good stuff!

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I just got my box rebuilt and drilled for ram assist at Power Steering Solutions. They magnafluxed all the parts before re-assembly and did an awesome job locating the ports so it is easier to attach the hoses. I asked Red Head to drill the box but they don't provide that service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger