Steering Stabilizer for 2004 FG?

dtruzinski

Explorer
I bought FusoFGs 2004 and have been slowly making minor improvements and modifications. I have converted to the aluminum super singles from Earthcruiser and have a set of parabolics on order from ATW. I am looking for some guidance on the steering stabilizer. Does any have a recommendation for a stabilizer and bracketry available in the states? Thanks in advance for your help.

dave

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Dave... Why do you need a steering stabiliser again? Are all your rod ends and steering box in good condition? Why not wait till the parabolics are fitted and assess the steering after that?

Regards John.

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
If your reason for wanting a steering stabilizer is to remove wobble or shudder from your front end then, as John has questioned, you might want to confirm that all of your steering linkages are in good order first.
I have a return to centre (RTC) steering damper on my 2010 FG. As much as it would probably reduce/eliminate the above issues (should they exist), I see it's primary function as "wrist protection" when using the truck in off road situations, where the steering wheel may jerk suddenly if one of the tyres hits something.

The bracketing on my steering damper is pretty simple; one connection on the steering rod and another onto a fixed point on the diff. If you cannot source suitable brackets for your FG, they would not be difficult to make yourself (or to get a shop to fab some up).

Here is a couple of pictures showing my setup, if that is of any use...

steering_damper.jpg steering_damper_2.jpg

blackduck

Explorer
NOTE Owen will do anything to show off his coil suspension and all the shiny bits under his truck
He's what we call an techno trollop :wings:
I made my own cause im clever like that
although on my 2007 there was no suitable spot to attach to the diff without welding so i went for the straightest line to the chassis

manu 1.jpgmanu 2.jpgmanu 4.jpg

its made a difference to my truck on the god awful roads we have in oz

dtruzinski

Explorer
John,

I never experienced a wobble with the factory wheels/tires. At 55 mph, it shakes hard then settles down around 60 mph. I assumed that a steering stabilizer would help with the larger tires. Also, the stabilizer will help off road by reducing the whipping of the steering wheel.

tnx
dave

dtruzinski

Explorer
Stu -

That looks like a good approach. I was hoping to find a factory install, without any custom fab. I may end up copying your idea.

tnx
dave

dtruzinski

Explorer
If your reason for wanting a steering stabilizer is to remove wobble or shudder from your front end then, as John has questioned, you might want to confirm that all of your steering linkages are in good order first.
I have a return to centre (RTC) steering damper on my 2010 FG. As much as it would probably reduce/eliminate the above issues (should they exist), I see it's primary function as "wrist protection" when using the truck in off road situations, where the steering wheel may jerk suddenly if one of the tyres hits something.

The bracketing on my steering damper is pretty simple; one connection on the steering rod and another onto a fixed point on the diff. If you cannot source suitable brackets for your FG, they would not be difficult to make yourself (or to get a shop to fab some up).

Here is a couple of pictures showing my setup, if that is of any use...

View attachment 266623 View attachment 266624

SkiFreak - that coil over suspension is awesome. I think the consensus is that I have to fab some brackets. While I was hoping for a bolt on solution, the brackets are relatively easy to create. I think I am going to follow Stu's lead. Thanks all for your input.

tnx
dave

Last edited:

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Would be interested to know what ATW or Earthcruiser use ???? Might help my FG84 steering problems??

If your wheels are balanced and all the rest of the front end is in good condition ( knuckle bearing can get a little bit of wear in them and the steering will wander all over the place ) then you shouldn't have a problem, unless there is a caster or camber problem with your front axle assembly ( maybe axle was bent in former life ). I would take it to a truck alignment centre and get it checked. You may just need wedges put in between axle and springs to change Caster angle.

Dan.

dtruzinski

Explorer
Dan,

Thanks for the feedback. I am taking it in to have the two fronts rebalanced. I don't recall this shaking when I had the stock wheels/tires, but the stock setup was jarring the fillings out of my teeth at each crack in the road. I am also going to install the parabolic suspension from ATW. Once those two items are complete I will report back to the group.

dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman