Stewart & Stevenson M1087 AAR EXPANSIBLE SHELTER (Slide Out)

GabAlmighty

Observer
The government paid over $750k for the shelter alone? I am far from an expert but I highly doubt that... Maybe $750 with all the military goodies that filled the inside of it haha.

Either way that seems like a good deal for $45k

Zybane

That would be a pretty amazing build base for a fabricator with a lot of time on their hands. I wonder, is that shelter even insulated?

Jjackson410

Observer
How did no one buy this? Even I saw potential and I'm not the most creative person in the world.

Building a center island and then dealing with the manual slide outs etc would be a pain and expensive.. MUCH easier and cost effective to build a non slide out shelter.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Building a center island and then dealing with the manual slide outs etc would be a pain and expensive.. MUCH easier and cost effective to build a non slide out shelter.
It was $40 thousand dollars (and could prob be had for less) I see guys put more than that into their elk camps around here and this one they could drive onsite every year.....still amazed these don't get snatched up for unique needs.

buellconvert

That would be a pretty amazing build base for a fabricator with a lot of time on their hands. I wonder, is that shelter even insulated?
Yes they are insulated, I used to work at the AAR production facility here in North Carolina and they're very well built.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Zybane

Oh interesting. I didn't realize the slides were manual though. That would be a real pain for a camper/expedition vehicle. I wonder why he has a ratchet strap what looks like pulling the two slides together inside? I wonder if the slides have gap/seal/droop problems or something. That cabin is 10K pounds alone! I'd imagine overbuilt.

StratoCrewzr

As a new owner of two of these (2006 & 2007 M1087A1) I can attest they are amazing. Yes they are manual crank outs but 19 year old Privates are plentiful in the Army...and less to break. An electric drill and socket cranks them in and out rather quickly. The way these slide outs work truly makes them a flat floor. You need to store most everything towards the center when the slide-outs are stowed due to the flat floor folding upward to allow for retraction. Look at the BANTHA youtube videos to see how Zach and Krystal hung a King size bed from the ceiling and have commercial sized sinks and shower. They did a great job utilizing the space. I'm planning on outfitting one somewhat similar.

SootyCamper

As a new owner of two of these (2006 & 2007 M1087A1) I can attest they are amazing. Yes they are manual crank outs but 19 year old Privates are plentiful in the Army...and less to break. An electric drill and socket cranks them in and out rather quickly. The way these slide outs work truly makes them a flat floor. You need to store most everything towards the center when the slide-outs are stowed due to the flat floor folding upward to allow for retraction. Look at the BANTHA youtube videos to see how Zach and Krystal hung a King size bed from the ceiling and have commercial sized sinks and shower. They did a great job utilizing the space. I'm planning on outfitting one somewhat similar.

Wow, what a cool build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78