Stock or near stock vehicles

Clutch

<---Pass
Stock is fine, you can go a lot of places in a stock vehicle...most of the Forest Service vehicles are stock.

Don't even really need 4WD either....Ford had a cool little UTE available in Australia, 2WD with a locker.

ford_falconute_bf_ser2_08.jpg

rfroy

Observer
Thanks for the replies.

I have been looking for a purpose built vehicle like a Jeep for a while now. I have been driving SUV's for the past 22 years and in their stock form have taken me where I wanted to go with a family vehicle. For the more difficult areas I have fallen back on ATV's. Now back to being single and no kids at home I want to stat exploring parts of Wyoming, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and the flatter parts of Colorado. I am a native Coloradoan and have explored many parts of this wonderful state.

Reasons for wanting to lift my truck: looks cool, higher clearance for getting into more back country in Colorado

Reasons for staying stock: I take my ever shrinking mother out for breakfast every weekend and she has a hard enough time getting into my truck. This is important to me as we don't have many more years of doing this. Also there is the reliability factor with the suspension.

I really wanted back into a truck platform and was liking at Toyota and Nissan but the MPG's weren't the best and then there was the comfort for long drives. I cam across a great deal on my Sierra and am not regretting it at all. Very nice ride and I know it will take me into the areas that I want to go into...from there ATV's

I am looking to fix up the topper with better lighting, power from a second battery, curtains (suggestions welcome!) and a sleeping platform.

Seeing so many lifted vehicles in Colorado you sometimes feel you can not go up into the hills with out one. It is nice to see others that like to explore in their stock or near stock vehicles. I would also like some suggestions for trips into the areas listed above.

Take care and keep on exploring.

Jerry

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
An 06 Chevy probably has 5000 mods you can do to and half of them make it better. On a truck that old you can't hurt the value and can probably do it a lot of good by just tinkering. Do searches for free or cheap mods first and have some fun. I even mod my company cars. Why not?

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Mine is damn near stock, 235/85R16 tires and refreshed suspension (giving maybe an inch of lift). It won't go deep mudding or rock crawling but I don't want or need it to

I like the simplicity, here are some pictures in Action

P1020264_zps4b8f1e8d.jpg

P1020665_zpsc90bae79.jpg

P1020729_zps3411cf3a.jpg

IMG_1261.jpg

rfroy

Observer
Now I don't feel so bad about my stock truck. Yes sliders and armor is going on this spring

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

jbob

Observer
I'm a big fan of keeping the engine and basic drivetrain stock or near-stock, unless you're talking about a dedicated rig that gets towed to the trail.

jbob

Observer
And then you see some guy in a Crown Vic...

We were on one of the trails near Lake Tahoe (Deer Valley Trail?) a few years ago and saw an old guy in a '70s Buick who had somehow made it halfway. He was drunk.

otis24

Observer
8udusa8y.jpg

Just a 2 1/2 inch lift and 235 85 16 tires, a built in inverter, a sleeping platform and some other small things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
We were on one of the trails near Lake Tahoe (Deer Valley Trail?) a few years ago and saw an old guy in a '70s Buick who had somehow made it halfway. He was drunk.

My dad had one of these before his Mustang and it was our camping rig. People used to come up on us in Jeeps at our favorite sites and say, "how the heck did you get that in here?"

1966dodgecoronet500041209.jpg

kennr

A couple of weeks ago in Johnson Valley, CA.IMG_0086.jpgIMG_0081.jpg
Aside from the shell, Smittybilt step-bars and 33' tires, it's stock.
2007 Dodge 2500 CTD 4X4 Megacab.

GDSQDCR

Adventurer
04 Z71 CC Sierra
Has Rancho shocks (whoopie!) and 18inch Denali rims (BFG AT KO).

Completely stock other than that. Of course, I do not do all the things I see pictured on this site. I have run her through 2.5ft of running water and over rocks ...

98dango

Expedition Leader
My superduty is stock for the most part 35s and no lift and a winch.

My Chevy is not going to be close to stock but will be built with stock parts. Had I started with a 1 ton pre 91 Chevy it would be closer to stock 4" lift and 37s.

Trucks have different uses needs and wants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman