stock spring replacement 04 Tacoma

beerhiker

Adventurer
104K on my stock 04 Tacoma Dbl cab, springs have lost their life, rear is showing negative arch so its time to replace. I was going to go full OME route with 265/75 but with gas going to $4 I dont think I want to lose the extra 1-2mpg and 90% of the time I get where Im going at stock height and 265/70. I would ideally like about a 1 inch lift keeping 265/70s but its proving to be a difficult find and a 2-3inch with stock tire might just look silly. Not spending the money on adjustable coilovers or do I want a spacer lift. Would OME 880 be to soft on a Dbl cab? than maybe go with a custom 1" rear. Any ideas?

This is a daily driver, have a shell, otherwise bed is unloaded except for weekend camping trips where total max weight is say 300lbs. Its sees trails in Colorado and easier stuff around Moab, nothing hardcore.

Box Rocket

I think the 882s are the right spring for a dbl cab if you want the 2.5" lift. Since you're not after the lift, I'd really consider the 881s and the rear Dakar leafs. I will still look fine with the 265 tires. It will ride/handle so much better than stock. and the suspension will five you the room if you change your mind sometime down the road and want a tire larger than stock size.

My guess is you'll get closer to 2" lift in the front. I got 2.5" in the rear when I first put the Dakars on my dbl cab. Pretty quickly they settled to 2". I needed the extra height so I added a taller shackle at that point.

2" will be great with 265's IMO

skrillah

Adventurer
I understand, I'm in the same boat. I drive my truck 85 miles a day, 5 days a week and well gas is hurting the wallet. But...my suspension is hurting my *** more so I'm looking at other options. The dakars and OME 881s are likely going to be my setup, simply because of the versatility and good reviews I've read. In my opinion, the ride quality is going to be worth the $$ in gas and otherwise. I make more money every day I work, so eh...what the hell. :smiley_drive:

beerhiker

Adventurer
Yeah am leaning 881/Dakar and the 265/75, just doesnt seem to be a better option and I know it will be a good ride. Had OME on my Jeep and loved it, so.....

beerhiker

Adventurer
Still struggling with this....now leaning towards OME 880 which sound like it will give me a 1 inch lift, then getting some 1 1/2" rear springs (Deaver/Alcan). Stick with stock tire size and keep my MPG, from what I gather if I go 265/75 with 2inch lift I will lose 1-2MPG. Any experience or advice on the above lift appreciated.

Splat

Same boat

Same deal! Wanted to keep lift quite small

I ordered 880's on OME shocks for the front

OMEs for the rear, and replacing the leaf pack with 1.5" 5 spring pack.

They should be in today, will install and keep you posted on final measurements

This is for a reg Tacoma 2002, so my lift might be much higher than on a D-cab, looking at 1.5- 2" all round)

By the way 265/75's depending on the brand and weight may not have a big impact on your mileage, I avg 22-23mph on my 265's. (5 spd, no lead footing), pretty sure if I went smaller I might gain 1-2mpg back (or none!), but right now the speedo is spot on, and RPMs are little lower.

Hope this helps!

beerhiker

Adventurer
Yes lets see it when finished.
Here at altitude I consistently get 19mpg, so really dont want to lose that or the power to get over the mountain passes that I enjoy now.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I have a set of Deaver 8-pack leaves I would be willing to sell. Not new but used and it good shape.

Splat

Ome 880

Sorry for the late reply, just got back from Moab!

Pics of Tacoma with OME 880, OME nitro shocks, and wheelers 5 spring leaf pack 1.5" replacement.

1st pic, Taco is loaded with about 350lbs of gear in the bed

2nd pic is with 100lbs of gear in the bed

Attachments

• Taco 4-4.JPG
    Taco 4-4.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Taco 3-4.JPG
    Taco 3-4.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 72

beerhiker

Adventurer
Splat: Looks nice, that about perfect for the single cab, how do you like the ride? Looks like you did get about 2"?

RMP&O: Thanks for the offer, still figuring out my plan.

Splat

At first the truck sat almost 3" but now has settled about 2", (2000 mile + round trip), had the chance to flex the truck a little on the trails and that helped, I believe the truck will settle more over time closer to 1.5" overall, which is perfect for my needs!

Road manners improved over stock suspension, the rear springs are excellent, though thinking of adding another leaf to help with payload.

Off-road manners improved as well, the extra 2" really helped with articulation, no rubbing at all. (Canyonlands and portions of "Hole in the Rock" road was a blast!)

beerhiker

Adventurer
Really leaning towards 880 with a 5 leaf rear, just worried about having rear high look which I dont want. ARB is saying I will get 2" with 880, but both Cruiser Outfitters and Wheelers are indicating more like a inch for a doublecab. If it is 1" front and 1 1/2" rear should work out. I have a thread over at TTORA asking same and have 0 response in the 2 weeks its been up. Im still thinking that 2" with 265/70 will look awkward.

skrillah

Adventurer
That was what I was leaning towards as well. The Dakar is the cheaper option but I think that would be a bit too much for your use (or mine). Though, with the double cab, it may put you right where you want...

Its a hard one...I can definitely relate. Based on what I've read...I think the 880/5-leaf will give you exactly what you are expecting...0.5-1" front and 1-1.5" in the rear for a double. I expect if I go with that set up on an ext. cab, it would give 1-1.25" front and 1.5-2" rear. I bet you'll achieve stock rake with this setup.

I saw your TTORA post...too bad you aren't getting any hits on it. Must not be a popular topic. Its either a big lift or nothing at all I guess.

With out question, the stock suspension is junk. Too bad Toyota lacked on this...

I wish you would make up your mind already...so I can see what you do!:coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998