Stock Vehicles in the Wild ???

aearles

Observer
... the rock sliders and tires say; probably not entirely stock...

True, but pretty close :), it did most of the same stuff last year on the stock 33s (it's on 35s now) and no sliders with a little more caution, this year we ran all of Golden Spike in it.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I don't think anyone is saying you should take stock rigs down any trail, or use it outside of its capability. But some people automatically think anything off pavement needs mods. There are plenty of trails to be travelled in stock trucks. "Don't let your stock truck keep you from exploring" seems to be the tone of the OP. .

Exploring implies traveling the unknown;
for the most part unknown roads, in my experience, are relatively traversable ('though washouts and land slides can be fun to get around); but even easy appearing trails in many stock 4x4s (4WD/AWD) or especially a stock 4x2 is (at least locally) can be a recipe for a stuck (or worse), IMO.

The easy/boring trails. even roads, can, sometimes, be made entertaining, even very difficult, by a rain/snow storm; I'm nor assaying "Don't try it." I say be smart and prepared before you have gotten into something you can't get out of.
"Look before you leap." is still good advice; especially for; water crossings, mud, snow, powder sand, and hills/obstacles that you have to drive back up to go home.
Another thing to watch out for is distorted trail descriptions by people who recommend trails; I have driven trails in 2wd that others consider difficult in 4WD; likely a difference in; vehicle, driver experience and possibly expectation.

When I started our first rule was; NO whining!

... remember off road tow bills are basically what the tow driver wants to charge...IF you can find one willing to try to get to you to pull you out.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

swrider

Observer
Wow, never thought this thread would get so many responses!
I haven't been back here in a bit, mostly been spending my time over on a silverado forum reading up on ppls experience with different lift/level kits and tire size and combinations.
There is a LOT to read up on!!!
Like P Nut said, my thought has always been to not let your stock ride keep you from going out and explore. EXPERIENCE counts way more than vehicle capabilities. Visiting rural areas in Mexico, I have seen beat up old chevys and fords with basically slicks (tires were so worn down) fording rivers, going up steep inclines in rain and mud, and just going all over the place, never you mind the road conditions.
So get out there and enjoy, take your vehicle in whatever shape its in and have fun. Just don't forget your common sense at the house.
As for my truck, well it's still stock and in need of tires. I wanted to be able to get some 33's on the stock wheels but the expense of fitting them in the right way seems a bit too much. I mean really, the stock tires are 31.5"; going to 33's will only really give me an added 3/4" extra clearance. Is it really worth it???
I don't know, maybe I'll just leave well enough alone, and get some KO2's in a 265/65R18 and call it a day.
Then again, 33's on a 2.25" level kit do look really nice!!!
:D

swrider

Observer
All of my vehicles are stock except for slightly larger tires, 265/75-16 instead of usually 245/75-16 and I have yet to feel the need for a lift, air lockers, sliders or any of the like products, it's all about knowing the limitations of your vehicle, I don't rock climb or mudbog and I don't need a bro' truck, I think I have seen more of my state than anybody I know because I'm out exploring as often as I can, if I can't get to where exactly I want I load up the backpack and the dogs and I head out, I'd rather walk to than break my rig!! Being out exploring is where the happiness is and that's where I go!

What part of Nevada are you from, down south in Las Vegas or up North near Reno?
I'm in Las Vegas and just starting to explore the dirt roads just outside the city. They seem like a lot of fun, but more often than not i'm trudging along at a nice pace only to come up to a hill where the road is washed up, and all of a sudden it turns into a rock garden, which sucks because that's usually the point where I have to turn back. If you've ever been down this side of the state, please let me know of some good roads to go and check out.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
I'm up north central, never venture into clark county unless forced to, there are some awesome mining areas, ghost towns and camping spots to explore this side of goldfields, so I try to get down that far 2 a year or so, keep looking through the trip reports and old posts and you will find some good info to where to go.

Theoretician

Adventurer
Going into the backcountry while stock and coming back unhurt isn't too tough. Know your vehicle and don't get stupid, plan your lines to accommodate your vehicles strengths and weaknesses, remember to go as slow as possible and as fast as necessary. My F150 got where a bunch of jeeps went with a local offroad club on moderately difficult trails this weekend. I was told that I sounded like a bull moose pushing his way through the brush and I got some pinstriping to back that up, but the only advantage that the built-up jeeps had was that they didn't have to be as careful and could therefore go through rock gardens and washouts faster.

Seabass

Idiot
There's this one opening on the body. We all have it. Everybody's stinks. Then there's this saying about opinions and the similarities. So here's my opinion. I'm a farmer- or rancher depending on what part of the country you live in. I've noticed that I can do a mild lift- add-a-leaves and or a leveling kit and stick a slightly larger high quality rough tread tire on a truck and go A LOT of places. Usually I'm packing way to much crap in the bed because I'm fixing fence, looking for a cow, or trying to get tools to a broken down tractor. I started buying older straight axel trucks with big axels and heavy parts from the factory. I almost never break anything. I do have a winch in case I get stuck- but I usually end up using it to drag heavy stuff closer to my truck or tug on something bent to help straighten it. I don't normally lock the hubs in till I need them. Mostly only if it's muddy. So I believe stock is fine- or slightly modified. I need a truck to do it all. 38s and a 6" lift aren't great on a daily driven do it all truck. If all you do is trail ride- ok. But like a lot of the posters here I've seen nearly stock vehicles do some pretty cool stuff! However, there are idiots that could get a tank stuck in a concrete parking lot. A little common sense will take you farther than lockers and mud tires. I've also heard that if you'll get one of them big 52" LED light bars it'll pretty much make whatever vehicle you put it on un-freakin-stoppable. So here's a pic or two of the daily driven farm truck. One of my favorite vehicles I've ever owned.
96182b31bca62160ebe50ccf2dbb3938.jpg
946cd1c7241bb4ee0ff5ac0ec105114e.jpg
ade4834b2a0b2e095aea8602e469f85d.jpg

Last edited:

swrider

Observer
There's this one opening on the body. We all have it. Everybody's stinks. Then there's this saying about opinions and the similarities. So here's my opinion. I'm a farmer- or rancher depending on what part of the country you live in. I've noticed that I can do a mild lift- add-a-leaves and or a leveling kit and stick a slightly larger high quality rough tread tire on a truck and go A LOT of places. Usually I'm packing way to much crap in the bed because I'm fixing fence, looking for a cow, or trying to get tools to a broken down tractor. I started buying older straight axel trucks with big axels and heavy parts from the factory. I almost never break anything. I do have a winch in case I get stuck- but I usually end up using it to drag heavy stuff closer to my truck or tug on something bent to help straighten it. I don't normally lock the hubs in till I need them. Mostly only if it's muddy. So I believe stock is fine- or slightly modified. I need a truck to do it all. 38s and a 6" lift aren't great on a daily driven do it all truck. If all you do is trail ride- ok. But like a lot of the posters here I've seen nearly stock vehicles do some pretty cool stuff! However, there are idiots that could get a tank stuck in a concrete parking lot. A little common sense will take you farther than lockers and mud tires. I've also heard that if you'll get one of them big 52" LED light bars it'll pretty much make whatever vehicle you put it on un-freakin-stoppable. So here's a pic or two of the daily driven farm truck. One of my favorite vehicles I've ever owned.

Me thinks that truck is more than just slightly modified :D
Also, cool dogs, blue heelers ???

Seabass

Idiot
swrider,
No major modifications. It has a set of add-a-leaves on the front and air bags on the back. 285-75-16 tires on stock Ford Alcoa aluminum wheels (plasti-dipped black). It does have an old school warn winch bumper and a new steel flat bed. The engine is a bone stock 460 and it's got a five speed hand shaker. The axels are stock Dana 60 up front and a Sterling 10.25 in the rear. It has a factory limited slip rear and 4.10 gears. It's a hell of a truck. I did do a major rebuild on the entire truck about a year and a half ago. I rebuilt almost everything on it- effectively making it new again. Now I drive the crap out of it. There's a build thread somewhere way back. I documented a whole lot of the build. My old diesel has a build too. I almost never drive it, though- Also way back. I just use my tucks now and don't have much to post. Im really bad about going and taking trips or camping and not taking pics. I tend to get caught up in the moment, and I'm kinda stupid. Bad combination. And yep- those are my "Blue Heathens" Love my girls!

Last edited:

p nut

butter
swrider,
No major modifications. It has a set of add-a-leaves on the front and air bags on the back. 285-75-16 tires on stock Ford Alcoa aluminum wheels (plasti-dipped black). It does have an old school warn winch bumper and a new steel flat bed. The engine is a bone stock 460 and it's got a five speed hand shaker. The axels are stock Dana 60 up front and a Sterling 10.25 in the rear. It has a factory limited slip rear and 4.10 gears. It's a hell of a truck. I did do a major rebuild on the entire truck about a year and a half ago. I rebuilt almost everything on it- effectively making it new again. Now I drive the crap out of it. There's a build thread somewhere way back. I documented a whole lot of the build. My old diesel has a build too. I almost never drive it, though- Also way back. I just use my tucks now and don't have much to post. Im really bad about going and taking trips or camping and not taking pics. I tend to get caught up in the moment, and I'm kinda stupid. Bad combination. And yep- those are my "Blue Heathens" Love my girls!

Now that's a truck! Looks like a work horse.

XJLI

Adventurer
Wow, never thought this thread would get so many responses!
I haven't been back here in a bit, mostly been spending my time over on a silverado forum reading up on ppls experience with different lift/level kits and tire size and combinations.
There is a LOT to read up on!!!
Like P Nut said, my thought has always been to not let your stock ride keep you from going out and explore. EXPERIENCE counts way more than vehicle capabilities. Visiting rural areas in Mexico, I have seen beat up old chevys and fords with basically slicks (tires were so worn down) fording rivers, going up steep inclines in rain and mud, and just going all over the place, never you mind the road conditions.
So get out there and enjoy, take your vehicle in whatever shape its in and have fun. Just don't forget your common sense at the house.
As for my truck, well it's still stock and in need of tires. I wanted to be able to get some 33's on the stock wheels but the expense of fitting them in the right way seems a bit too much. I mean really, the stock tires are 31.5"; going to 33's will only really give me an added 3/4" extra clearance. Is it really worth it???
I don't know, maybe I'll just leave well enough alone, and get some KO2's in a 265/65R18 and call it a day.
Then again, 33's on a 2.25" level kit do look really nice!!!
:D

I went to 33s, because I just couldn't justify putting stock size tires on when I knew one size up would fit with a little plastic trimmage. You're lucky, you have a real suspension up front and actually can lift your truck without breaking your back with tweaked torsion bars.

I haven't done any real trips yet, just the local beach a few times and a long haul up to the Adirondacks, but I'm gunning to do Bald Eagle State Forest early fall for a few days. I've been using the truck as a truck hauling yard debris, scrap, and stuff from home depot runs. Never thought I'd get a full-size, but it's starting to grow on me. The G80 out back isn't terrible... I've felt it engage a few times. It's better than nothing!

ElgWJcmh.jpg

Cyph86

Lol well known fact the more lights and stickers you have on your rig the more capable it is!
That comment had me dying.
I have a 04 Silverado duramax with a leveling kit and 33s. Last trail run i went on there were more than a few expensive rig with expensive mods that gave me that are you sure you dont wanna take the bypass look (some actually voiced that opinion)
All gave me nods of approval when i walked right through those trails. Just take the right line and mind your clearances.
07af96e84620cba83e5a75a2bb0beae2.jpg
f30843566a2eb6ff6dff6ea4b61c3018.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Yep! driving on slickrock (special case) is fun, amazing traction; and vehicles, even some stock vehicles, can do amazing things... had to tow a Montero through most of Poison Spyder/Golden Spike (Moab Ut.) because it wouldn't do it any other way, in spite of the sandpaper like slickrock traction though... seems like vehicles can almost always drive into things they cannot drive out of...
...had to tow another stock Montero (I don't mean to pick on Monteros, I'm certain that my Explorer would do little better, until the mods are complete; stock (with poor/stock tires) is the operative word) back up from the river at Metbury gulch (slightly harder than easy) near Divide Colorado ... (apparently gravity works).

IMO, it is better to have a vehicle that will go more places than you are willing to take it than to miss places like Medano pass north of the Great Sand Dunes Nat'l Monument and Mt. Blanca/Como lake, and higher, a bit south east of the the same...

... the rock sliders and tires say; probably not entirely stock...

Enjoy!

I'm a bit curious to know as to which year/model Montero you claim to have helped out? I say this because it takes a really crappy situation for most Monteros to require much assistance at all, especially from a stock Explorer, maybe the driver of the Montero was just a complete moron. Even a modified/upgraded Explorer would have a difficult time keeping up with most stock Monteros.

rruff

Explorer
'84 Toyota 2wd 5spd. Add a leaf and slightly bigger tires (and camper). I lived in it for 13 years traveled and camped in remote areas all over the west (~150k miles). Remote meaning I would usually not see or hear another human for weeks. Nobody ever knew where I was. No cell phones.

The bottom of the truck was full of dents, including the oil pan and gas tank, but nothing ever broke. I was stranded twice, oil pressure sender and fuel pump. Luckily I was less than 10 miles from a town for both of them, and I fixed them with little drama.

I never felt like I was taking a big risk. Still don't.

Attachments

• YTruck02.jpg
    YTruck02.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 15
  • YPic07-.jpg
    YPic07-.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 17

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I'm a bit curious to know as to which year/model Montero you claim to have helped out? I say this because it takes a really crappy situation for most Monteros to require much assistance at all, especially from a stock Explorer, maybe the driver of the Montero was just a complete moron. Even a modified/upgraded Explorer would have a difficult time keeping up with most stock Monteros.

I was driving a locked out, 258c.i./4.2L, multipoint EFI, 4.56 geared, 4:1 TC, SOA, Jeep CJ-5 on 33 M/Ts at the time...
Both were years ago; so I really have no idea of the years/models (before 2002 since both were before the Hayman fire) and the terrain of the local one was so easy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8ZW6_wLo-g)that everyone was amazed that the guy, with 4 kids, could not get it out; previously about the only vehicles that I remember having issues were worn out IH Scout 2s with poor/nearly bald tires and or slipping automatic transmissions... (note; this was long before the rock at the bottom of the hill got dug out by tire spinners and the trail had been done in 2wd, though not easily, by several people (also before the bottom of the rock where the L-Rs in the vid lift tires, got dug out).

The other was on poison spider/golden spike in Moab the guy had trouble on some steps, its a named /regularly photographed obstacle that causes many stock vehicles problems, but I really don't remember the name any more); we messed up by helping and then had to tow him over most of the moderate, and tougher obstacles after (or leave him in a very bad situation).

Doing better than a lightly modified Explorer ain't difficult...I got one; I know... (front ifs wheel travel, approach and departure angles are terrible).
I picked up a TJ Rubicon... (partly so I can camp at the bottom of Metberry, and the other gulches and be, relatively, certain that I can drive out since the trail has been so messed up)...but as also because I wanted one (simply got tired of the climb to get into the CJ-7 on 35s, so I got a roughly equivalent, except for the tires, stock height vehicle...

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78