Stock XJ - where to start?

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Thanks for the help guys. What are some of the little things you got for making the rig a little better?

Things like hi-lift jack (do I need a lift for it to be practical? My in vehicle jack doesn't even reach the "rail" that runs on the bottom and I use wood to make it work).

A fire extinguisher...do I really need one for what I'll be doing? I guess camping would be good to have in case a fire jumped or something out of the pit?

I got first aid, flashlights. As for a toolbox, do you guys bolt your toolbox in or does it just jump around with the rest of the Jeep while off road?

So I guess what are some of the smaller things and amenities I can get out of the way now before the big ticket obvious items like lift, tires, wheels, bumpers, racks etc.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Hey Young Buck... told ya you would like this place.

Fire Extinguisher should be considered mandatory in any vehicle INHO.

You do want to secure your tools and equipment as best you can, even if it includes cheapo ratchet straps attached to the rings in cargo area.

Hi-Lift. Good for a vehicle with solid bumpers and rocker protection, but on a stock XJ serves little purpose other than a come-along. If you get one read up on safe operation of it, they can and have seriously hurt people. A good bottle jack for use under the axles would be a good idea. I believe a good one is from a Land Rover.. search here for some more info.

Good tow points are always a good idea.

Maintenance and comfort additions will do wonders in the early stages of your buildup.

Waytec

Adventurer
When you get a fire extinguisher, get a 5 pounder. Those little 1 ponders that all the auto supply places sell work better if you throw them into the fire and hope that the explosion will put the fire out. You want one that will put the fire out and then put it out agene if it flares up.
Ratchet straps, bungee cords even rope, tie every thing down. The last thing you want happing in a panic stop or rollover is get the tool box in the back of the head.
For the XJs you will need 3inc of lift to run 31’s with out cutting the fenders. I really like Rubicon Express. Their kits come with everything except the shocks, and they make wedges as well in case the axel needs shimming. I have the RE 3.5inc lift and I am almost the same height as my friend with a Sky Jaker 6inc.
If you are ever in the central Alberta aria, I will take you out and show you some nice stuff that XJs thrive on.

SWbySWesty

OK, so here's another question:

I have no D-rings or attachment points in the rear cargo area. Should I just drill some D-rings in with bolts or is there a better way to secure things in the cargo area since I already have my "action packers" with camp gear and they're going to be loose back there. Thoughts? Anchor points for ratchet straps?

BBCchris

Observer
Just make sure if you drill into the trunk floor to put in D-rings that you don't drill a hole into the fuel tank............ yeah, I know a little something about that. :) But that was years ago and I'll never do it again, I promise.

-C

SWbySWesty

I'm thinking from side to the other side for 4 D-rings. 2 at each side at the front of the cargo and 2 at the rear...This way I can strap close to the rear seat or go X-wise for lots of stuff or just 2x2...now I just have to get my butt in gear to do this.

I think that might be the first mod...Cargo area...cuz when we go camping, we bounce around and it's SO loud with all the junk banging around.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I would put some of the Uni-body bracing higher up on the list than some other things. having had a few XJ's, that really is their weak link and adding bracing BEFORE the truck is old and out of shape will keep it rattle and non-closing/sealing doors.

that's my .02, but nice clean looking rig, and I've always loved those rims on XJ's there's a guy at the hospital who i always park next to who has some 35's on those rims under his XJ and it looks SWEET!!!

Cheers

Dave

SWbySWesty

also, looks like I found a 5lb extinguisher on CL that he'll let go for $10! nice... refillable and inspectable too

Is there anything I should look for when I check it out?

SWbySWesty

dang, I can't access the page :( Is it because I haven't paid NAXJA dues since I'm not signed up yet? I'm just on the forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears