Stolen Adventure Trailer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
SAR_Squid79 said:
Not to get too off topic here, but what will AT do to prevent this from happening again in the future?

Unfortunately it's going to be difficult to rent a trailer from us in the future.

Expensive insurance
Large holds placed on credit cards
Location devices
Credit checks
Background checks
etc. etc.

It's changed for everyone now.

Photog

Explorer
Martyn said:
Unfortunately it's going to be difficult to rent a trailer from us in the future.

Expensive insurance
Location devices
Credit checks
Background checks
etc. etc.

How do the car rental places protect themselves, and still make it easy for the customers?

Martyn

Photog said:
How do the car rental places protect themselves, and still make it easy for the customers?

They do all of the above without telling you.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Martyn said:

Expensive insurance
Location devices
Credit checks
Background checks
etc. etc.

Doesn't scare me! I just need to come up with an excuse to rent one!!

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
teotwaki said:
Doesn't scare me! I just need to come up with an excuse to rent one!!

Maybe, but in your case.....I would do a deep dive into your background for sure! :sombrero: :shakin:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Tucson T4R said:
Maybe, but in your case.....I would do a deep dive into your background for sure! :sombrero: :shakin:

Just ask the Feds for a copy of the SF-86 for my PSI and save some money :iagree: :luxhello:

lqhikers

Adventurer
moving the trailer?

This thought occurred to me as i was putting away my small expo type trailer. I store it in a cargo trailer that has a ramp,Could it be possible that the "person of interest" rented a u-haul type trailer to relocate?,if so maybe u-haul is set up to track lic/person info.Seems like the main thing to look for is jeep/people(man/woman/kids)lic on jeep would likely stay on (maybe)
I used u-haul as example as that is the most likely rental place somebody in
a hurry would go.
Just my thoughts,still a bummer!
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les Lqhikers

Superu

Explorer
Originally Posted by Martyn

Expensive insurance
Location devices
Credit checks
Background checks
etc. etc.

Martyn,

Just curious about how much of a rental business you've done in the past and if this is the first time something like this has happened.

Seems sad to let one incident, albeit an expensive and frustrating one, spoil your outlook on humanity in general.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hope things turnaround soon. Best of luck. :)

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
You know one of the worst things is that not only did they steal a rental trailer but it was also Scotty's personal trailer that he busted is *** building the week before it was stolen to have it ready for it's first and only Mojave run, so it seems anyway's. His tent and fridge also went with it. What a bunch of crap, keep your head up Scotty, I'm sure things will be made right eventually, right? :mad: Humanity is full of ****, thats why I hang out with my dog.

Martyn

Superu said:
Martyn,

Just curious about how much of a rental business you've done in the past and if this is the first time something like this has happened.

Seems sad to let one incident, albeit an expensive and frustrating one, spoil your outlook on humanity in general.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hope things turnaround soon. Best of luck. :)

My outlook on humanity has not been spoiled, a little shaken, but I still believe people will be honest when the given a chance.

How long can a business trust everyone, to get screwed over a few times?
What prudent steps should we take to ensure this doesn't happen again?
Do you have to screen everyone, or just a few?
How do you select the few you do screen?
Not to discriminate shouldn't we screen everyone?

The fact that I stated what security measures we may take in the future, doesn't make me jaded on humanity, it just states what happens to people in most transactions they make, credit card transaction, car rentals, and loan applications, for example.

It's just not so nice to think about, that we are not trusted on face value.

SpeedAgent

Adventurer
Insurance

Do you have insurance coverage on your property or inventory to cover this? You could easily continue your rental of trailers with proper insurance coverage. Albeit a little more expensive for you since you would have to purchase the coverage, but with all of th exposure this story has gotten you may have some new rental clients. I for one would rent one if I were coming out west for overland travel.

Just a thought....I know a guy (only kidding).

Chris

Martyn

SpeedAgent said:
Do you have insurance coverage on your property or inventory to cover this? You could easily continue your rental of trailers with proper insurance coverage. Albeit a little more expensive for you since you would have to purchase the coverage, but with all of th exposure this story has gotten you may have some new rental clients. I for one would rent one if I were coming out west for overland travel.

Just a thought....I know a guy (only kidding).

Chris

Renting trailers is not a big part of our business. It's really done as a service to customers who are interested in purchasing and want to try them out first.

In the past Mario and I have just rented out our own personal trailers to get the job done.

The biggest issue now is that we pre-sell all of our trailers and right now there is no room on the build schedule to replace the one that has gone missing.

Martyn said:
A few interesting things that I've had to hold onto until now are;

The Ohio License Plate FA3 O8V that I originally posted was actually FA3 0EV. We misread the hand writing.

The FA3 0EV plate is on the Jeep

Did you or any of your employees write the plate #, or was it the customer that wrote it?

Also...how extensive of a background check will you do in the future to renters? I know I'm not a criminal, and about 4 pages of stuff dating back to 1994 (back when i was in 7th grade and more interested in TPing houses) that include violent crimes and aggravated robbery. Most background check companies don't check SSN's because it takes too much time. This is something else to consider...because they could miss things, too...like reversing what's happened to me. Guy convicted of murder, broke outta prison, stole a Land Rover, on the run, with 3 or 4 stolen credit cards...but if they just run the name and a county, like what's been done with my botched background checks...a lot of that would never show up.

Also...do you have any information about their house burning down? maybe a link to a news article?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle