Stolen Adventure Trailer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Flounder said:
I tend to lean that way. This search should have been launched under the assumption that is family is in trouble and cannot return. Send out the SAR. Wouldn't be the first time. Something similar to this happened in the Yukon Territory years ago. When a tourist failed to return a snowmobile on time, everyone immediately searched the town and highways for a thief when the reality is a victom was stuck in the wilderness awaiting help.

The reality is this is a missing FAMILY as much as it is a missing trailer.

I hope that if the family is in any type of distress that the search for the trailer will help them in their predicament. We would never wish to falsely accuse anyone of something they did not do, or in any way hinder anyone.

We are left with the following;
A sighting of the trailer and tow vehicle after the return date.
Contact numbers that do not work
Contact addresses that do not exist.

It just doesn't look good from our perspective.

VikingVince

Explorer
leftygun said:
I get your point. However, you don't know "he hasn't stolen the trailer" any more than others know/think he HAS stolen the trailer. Others on the forum are equally entitled to have the opinion that he stole it..

That is completely irrelevant to the point I was making. Of course everyone can have their opinion. Again, that is not the point. The law does not deal with opinion. The law deals with facts. Until the facts have been determined and are conclusive (and then the law applied to these facts), it is inaccurate as well as irresponsible to call the trailer "stolen," to refer to the man as a "thief," as well as post these opinions on other websites.

(there is nothing "wrong" with starting the "ExPo Search" or posting on other sites that the trailer hasn't been returned and has possibly been stolen...but, again, there is a HUGE difference in these two different sets of terms)

Last edited:

CodyLX450

Adventurer
Are there no phone numbers to contact the renters? If there are - are the calls just ignored or straight to voicemail like a dead cell battery?

This might be a good idea for future trailer rentals - to gather a few numbers of references, work or close family members.

While this guy sort of seems nomadic, maybe just the idea of "we will use the following info to find you if you don't return on time" will discourage potential thefts before they happen - or at least you'd have some other numbers to call to figure out if those people heard from the renters at all and maybe determine better where the people might be or if its a possible lost or hurt in the wilderness situation.

-

Since they are supposed to be in AZ...would a bounty be paid for just the return of the trailer, or per captured Deckling as well?

Last edited:

Martyn

VikingVince said:
That is completely irrelevant to the point I was making. Of course everyone can have their opinion. Again, that is not the point. The law does not deal with opinion. The law deals with facts. Until the facts have been determined and are conclusive (and then the law applied to these facts), it is inaccurate as well as irresponsible to call the trailer "stolen," to refer to the man as a "thief," as well as post these opinions on other websites.

(there is nothing "wrong" with starting the "ExPo Search" or posting on other sites that the trailer hasn't been returned and has possibly been stolen...but, again, there is a HUGE difference in these two different sets of terms)

Vince

I think if people read my original posting at the start of this thread and our web page at http://www.adventuretrailers.com/stolen.html we are reflecting exactly what you have said "that the trailer hasn't been returned and has possibly been stolen...".

Once again it's good to hear your clear voice of reason.

Martyn

CodyLX450 said:
Are there no phone numbers to contact the renters? If there are - are the calls just ignored or straight to voicemail like a dead cell battery?

This might be a good idea for future trailer rentals - to gather a few numbers of references, work or close family members.

While this guy sort of seems nomadic, maybe just the idea of "we will use the following info to find you if you don't return on time" will discourage potential thefts before they happen - or at least you'd have some other numbers to call to figure out if those people heard from the renters at all and maybe determine better where the people might be or if its a possible lost or hurt in the wilderness situation.

Since they are supposed to be in AZ...would a bounty be paid for just the return of the trailer, or per captured Deckling as well?

A lot of the information provided to us by Jeremy Deckling is incorrect. He seems to have taken known addresses and phone numbers and jumbled them. We do have contact details and phone numbers from other sources and we are attempting to gather information from these.

Interpreting the information gathered from family and friends is an other issue.

Did I make a mistake renting the trailer to Jeremy Deckling, yes you bet. Will it be harder to rent a trailer from us in the future, yes you bet.

At this point I don't want to even think about bounties or rewards. We'll do what's right given the circumstances. My faith in human nature has been hit hard by this possible theft, right now it’s being held afloat by everyone’s response to our predicament. I’d hate to now put a monetary value on what has been so positive.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Martyn said:
Will it be harder to rent a trailer from us in the future, yes you bet.

Maybe you could install a SPOT somewhere in the trailer, unbeknownst to the renters. You know like a little digital tracer...

Maybe you guys could add OnStar to the AT's. You always here how stolen vehicles equipped with OnStar are recovered rather quickly...

:088:

Making light of this because I think this thread and poor Martyn need a little levity at this time. Surely the trailer will be recovered in due time. Hopefully the family and trailer are all ok.

:camping:

VikingVince

Explorer
Martyn,

I bet the guy is carrying a cell phone at this very moment. No doubt you've thought of this...you could pay a fee (unfortuantely) to one of those services that do a cellular trace and get the guys cell phone number...just a thought.

Good luck...could be wrong, but I sense you will get it back eventually...after way too much of your own time and effort.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
taco chaser said:
How are they missing if they have been spotted pulling the trailer long after the return date and with in hours of this post?:confused:
There's the rub. Obviously no one has truly confirmed that it was actually them on the road. But, I could be wrong.

Martyn

VikingVince said:
Martyn,

I bet the guy is carrying a cell phone at this very moment. No doubt you've thought of this...you could pay a fee (unfortuantely) to one of those services that do a cellular trace and get the guys cell phone number...just a thought.

Good luck...could be wrong, but I sense you will get it back eventually...after way too much of your own time and effort.

I have his number, what I need is the ability to triangulate exactly where he is when he answers.

Martyn

VikingVince said:
Amazing...what does he say about the trailer?

I have a lot of information on Jeremy Deckling that I'm not sharing right now. I know it's all interesting stuff, but the internet is not the place to share it.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Martyn,

I am assuming from the posts and their dates that your first response to the non returning of the Chaser was NOT "Its been stolen". I'll also venture a guess that in the four days between it not being returned and you posting its "possible theft" that you and the good people there at AT spent a huge amount of time making calls and talking to people about Mr. Deckling. The timeline in the thread also suggest that an unsavory image of the renter emerged as your calls were made. The point of all this is to say that IMO AT took very reasonable steps prior to renting the trailer, did not jump to any conclusions after it was not returned on time, and have been very responsible in dealing with this situation. Again, IMO, some of the second guessing of what AT did or didn't do prior to renting the Chaser, or actions taken after it was not returned seem unfair if you look at the whole timeline and put it into perspective (4 days). I will continue to keep my eyes open for a black Jeep with ohio plates and the Olive/Grey Chaser, either together or not. I hope that your rental program will continue. I have thought about using one to see if it will fit my needs.

Stuart

Martyn

Update on information.

The children traveling with Jeremy Deckling and Carrie Deckling are two girls aged 9 and 4 and a Jeremy's son aged 2

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
At what point do you just throw the towel in and write it off? Can I assume the trailer rental is a business therefore some risks are involved. Surely the trailer is insured?

Colorado Ron

Explorer
LandCruiserPhil said:
At what point do you just throw the towel in and write it off? Can I assume the trailer rental is a business therefore some risks are involved. Surely the trailer is insured?

Its the thrill of the hunt and the scent of blood and fear in the air that keep us going!:26_7_2:

LOL--just teasing you know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78