Stor-it-all- totes.

tremors834

Adventurer
Incase anyone has been wondering about these as an option for cargo storage. I picked up 1 of each size from The Container Store for an upcoming trip.
Stor-it-all Totes
The plastic used is hard but semi-flexing, they don't seem like the plastic would be easy to crack. Although I'm not sure how brittle they would become in extreme cold weather. They are strong enough to support being strapped down and can support my 240lb weight sitting on them.

4892669754_c7f281a813.jpg

The locking handles-

4892069805_2d271113a7.jpg

4892068937_dacdd0dede.jpg

Semi-Straight walled-

4892664856_e1387edd3e.jpg

Lip edges-

4892068147_aefd3be8af.jpg

Reinforced bottoms-

4892665688_e27a1486ec.jpg

tremors834

Adventurer
The stor-all totes do not have provisions to latch hooks onto. Nor are they lockable.
I did see the watertight translucent bins, but according to my scientific "touch and feel" test they seemed to be constructed from a thinner and less sturdier plastic. More prone to cracking and not being able to withstand any serious "strapping down". As for being watertight, I wouldn't drop them in a lake or leave them in a rain storm in the roof rack. They are more like weather resistant.

Last edited:

tremors834

Adventurer
hey tremors834,

do you have a follow up on this? curious if they held up well?

Sorry guys. I had to cancel my trip cross country to Moab twice in the last 2 months due to my mom becoming ill. A lot of the gear I purchased won't be put into action until I get a chance to do some local exploring/camping or till May when I rescheduled my Moab trip.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Thanks for posting a link to these, I am thinking of getting a set of 5.

Are they strong and solid enough to stand on? And use as a bench seat on a regular basis?

Thanks.

Viggen

Just here...
How much do these cost? Im asking because military surplus Hardigg cases, of which I have picked up three (20x20x11, 41x33x24 and 18x18x16) with great seals, latches and valves for $180. Ive dropped them off the roof of the truck, stood on them and slide them around and they havent flinched even a bit. Might want to look at that option. Better boxes for not a lot of money...

spressomon

Expedition Leader
The stor-all totes do not have provisions to latch hooks onto. Nor are they lockable.
I did see the watertight translucent bins, but according to my scientific "touch and feel" test they seemed to be constructed from a thinner and less sturdier plastic. More prone to cracking and not being able to withstand any serious "strapping down". As for being watertight, I wouldn't drop them in a lake or leave them in a rain storm in the roof rack. They are more like weather resistant.

FWIW the watertight translucent containers have held up perfectly for me. I use three of them inside my LC strapped down with a ratchet strap. For my application they work perfectly. They keep all the contents...no small feat on our Nevada and Utah explores(!!!)...dust free.

Having said that my buddy that originally told me about them and I have not used them in transit on the outside of the rigs. And I've not dropped one more than a foot or so...so I don't know if they could withstand big drops from roof rack height for instance. But I wouldn't want translucent material anyway if I was going to use them externally.

tremors834

Adventurer
Thanks for posting a link to these, I am thinking of getting a set of 5.

Are they strong and solid enough to stand on? And use as a bench seat on a regular basis?

Thanks.

I have stood on them without issue but I wouldn't suggest doing so for any long length of time. Sitting on them is no problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears