storage between FWC and truck bed in front of wheelwell

ramblinChet

Does anyone have any knowledge to share regarding the unused space between the rear wheelwell and the cab as depicted by the red areas below?

Although I realize the front turnbuckles and mounts occupy some of this area there seems to be quite a bit of space in there not bring used that I would like to take advantage of. My plan is to mount an ExtremeAire Magnum 12 Vdc compressor in that area so it would also be necessary to route an air line and cable capable of handling 84 amps.

Given enough room, it seems as if mounting the compressor to the camper or bed is an option. Your thoughts on the use of this potential area?

camper first.jpg

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Some folks will stuff items into that space via the turnbuckle access hatches, but on most trucks, there's less room there than you think, once you've got the turnbuckles, etc. in there. (Also, depending on which camper/cabinet layout you have, those spaces aren't the most accessible.)

Attaching anything to the camper is tougher unless you're going to attach it after the camper is in the bed and never pull it back out - otherwise you wouldn't be able to slide past the wheel wells. But yes, I suppose one could make use of that space, as long as you didn't need to get into it very often to service the items, etc.

(Alternatively, replace the truck bed with something like the SherpTek bed, and you could drop the sides for easy access.)

That is a great place for leveling blocks, extra shoes/boots, canned goods on longer trips, bike spare parts, etc. All that stuff gets brought into the camper (though access holes) when we off load and then restored once back on the truck. When loading the camper on/off I generally want to minimize the amount of things that can go wrong. Having to worry about something else in the bed would just add to the stress.

I would install the compressor to the frame of the truck with a cover/ skid plate. Run the hose attachment point out by the liscense plate/bumper.

ramblinChet

I spent a few hours today taking a closer look at what area would be best to mount my ExtremeAire Magnum air compressor. Here are some of my constraints:
  • near vehicle battery so as to limit voltage loss while minimizing cable size and length
  • near vehicle center-of-gravity to promote best handling on and off road
  • in clean and protected area to extend life of compressor
  • install into unused area considering compressor should require minimal maintenance
Some of the other areas I have considered are:
  • inside cab behind drivers seat
    • difficult area to mount
    • would render vertical space above useless
    • additional penetrations for power and air line
    • cleanest and most protected area
    • closest to battery
  • inside camper in space adjacent to refrigerator
    • easiest area to mount
    • would take up valuable space inside camper
    • penetrations for power and air for camper and bed
    • clean area with good protection
    • reasonable distance from battery
  • underneath bed on drivers side in front of rear wheel
    • easy area to mount
    • would occupy unused space under bed
    • no penetrations for camper or bed necessary
    • dirtiest area with least protection
  • inside area between camper and bed, ahead of rear wheel
    • moderately difficult area to mount
    • would occupy unused space between camper and bed
    • only penetrations to bed
    • reasonably clean area with good protection
It is looking like I am leaning toward the last option since it offers a nice balance. Here is a picture of the inside of my camper showing the general area:
image000000(52).jpg

As a side note - I absolutely love the base mounting plate for my National Luna refrigerator. By flipping two small levers and sliding my refrigerator 10mm to the right, I am able to remove it from this sturdy mount in mere seconds. The red X depicts the area I am interested in using.
image000000(53).jpg

Here is a shot of the compressor tucked into the location. I am still able to access the turnbuckles just to the right and if necessary, I would be able to remove the camper and keep the air system in place. My primary concern with this location is tightening of the four nuts on the base since there is just an inch or so on either side of the compressor and my hands only bend so far. If the camper was removed this would be very easy but I have no jack stands.
image000000(54).jpg

Here is looking up at the underside of the bed just below the area shown above. Of course, there is a large reinforcement right in the middle of where I would like to mount which controls placement above. Also, the bed has reinforcement channels so it is not perfectly flat. I know I am just bolting down a compressor but I like things to be solid and balanced.
image000000(55).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman