storage pack for spare wheel well in trunk?

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
This is probably going to be confusing because even I don't know exactly what I'm looking for because I haven't really found anything yet that has sparked my interest. I'm basically wondering if there's any sort of tool bag or storage container (soft or hard) that will fit in my spare wheel well under my false floor in my trunk (fits a 27" tire but is only about 10" deep). This what I need to fit in it:

mini jack scissor type
air pump
maglite flash light 6 D cell
bear spray, bug spray
1lb fire extinguisher
blanket (rolls up into maybe a 4"(W) x 8(H)" cylinder)
couple of rain ponchos
bungie chords
recovery strap with shackles 30ft
mini umbrella
first aid kit (soft pack about 3x6x8")
toque and work gloves
small set of socket wrenches (only take what I know I need, not the whole set)
small set of screwdrivers (same deal as the wrenches)

So basically just a normal bunch of essentials for a trip. Right now I have it all stuffed into a gym bag, which works fine for now, but I'd like something a little heavier-duty to move in and out of the car. I've looked at a lot of different toolbags at the local stores but nothing really has the storage capicity or organizational traits that I'd like. I'd like to be able to open the false floor and be able to see and grab whatever I need instead of having to open a gym bag and search through it for something.

Open to any ideas here guys, I'm open minded!

rayra

Expedition Leader
Consider a bucket-based fabric tool organizer, sans the bucket. Too open for my tastes, but it sounds like what you want. I'd use a large gym bag and have items inside bundled by type or task, to get max use of the volume of space.

619195_front500.jpg

aluke0510

Adventurer
Option 1: Buy a sewing machine and learn to sew. Make your own out of any fabric you want exactly the way you want it. This is what I did way back. Have now upgraded to a good heavy duty walking foot machine from Sailrite. You will find yourself using it for more than just the one project. You'll use it from hemming up pants to making custom length tie down straps to bags and awnings, etc.

Option 2: Find a friend with the above.

Option 3: Go to an upholstery shop and pay them do the above.

Option 4: Search for hours endlessly and find something that will work but still doesn't fit exactly what you want but eventually finding a good compromise.

This has always been my experience and was never happy until I eventually ended up with option 1.

Edit:
Btw. Sounds like a lot to try to fit in one bag and keep organised; have you checked to see if it will even all fit in the place by itself? Maybe two half moon bags to keep better organised? Or what I do is make lots of different coloured stuff sacks (you can buy them too) and keep things organised by type.

Last edited:

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Consider a bucket-based fabric tool organizer, sans the bucket. Too open for my tastes, but it sounds like what you want. I'd use a large gym bag and have items inside bundled by type or task, to get max use of the volume of space.
That's pretty interesting. I've never even seen those. This would definitely be too tall though.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Option 4: Search for hours endlessly and find something that will work but still doesn't fit exactly what you want but eventually finding a good compromise.

This has always been my experience and was never happy until I eventually ended up with option 1.

Haha, yeah that seems to be the case when wanting anything out of the ordinary. I did the same thing with my custom trailer. Changing things to make it just a bit better every time until I would fed up and just make my own part.

Edit:
Btw. Sounds like a lot to try to fit in one bag and keep organised; have you checked to see if it will even all fit in the place by itself? Maybe two half moon bags to keep better organised? Or what I do is make lots of different coloured stuff sacks (you can buy them too) and keep things organised by type.
It's all in there right now in a big gym bag. I was thinking of splitting it up into two though. One bag for things that I always wanted to keep in the car and then one bag for extended trips. Right now I'm just adding stuff and then taking it back out of the gym bag depending on the trip I'm taking. Not really ideal.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
After some more research on here (after learning certain names of what I'm actually searching for now) I found a couple that I think might work for me.

1. Expedition Series Tool Case. Expensive, doesn't look quite heavy duty enough for me, and not enough compartments. But along the right lines for dimensions I think.

2. DeWALT 18-in Open Top Tool Bag. They also have a closed top one that is very similar but I think open would be more convenient, especially when needing to grab things one-handed. This one is definitely heavy duty enough for me needs - reinforced bottom, handles that go all the way around the bag, not just sewed on, etc. Not sure the interior dimensions would be large enough though.

After I do some more careful measuring and actually go and check some of these out in person I'll get a better idea if they'll work for me.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Ended up going with a tool bag similar to the DeWALT. It's an 18" hard bottom Husky tool bag. Fits perfectly under my false floor with an inch to spare (my sub still fits under there as well which is a bonus). Even included a couple more things just in case. Here's everything that's in it:

1lb fire extinguisher
bear spray
bug spray
sunscreen
first aid kit
jumper cables
blanket
LED maglite
air pump
scissor jack
screwdrivers
wrench and sockets (just the ones I need to switch a tire on the car or trailer)
hatchet, shovel, folding saw
fixed blade survival knife
umbrella and 3 ponchos
mechanic gloves
toque, winter gloves and warm socks
LED headlamp
OBDII code reader
waterproof matches and lighter

It'll be nice not always having to make sure I bring emergency things every time I head out. Only thing I didn't included (mostly because it didn't fit) was my tow straps, shackles and heavy gloves which I have in the smaller bag beside it. I don't need that all the time so whenever I head out and know I'll be heading off road I'll bring it along. Those are the heaviest items and there's no point in always having that stuff with me anyways.

Everything is pretty accessible besides the stuff I put at the bottom which I'll rarely need (jack, folding shovel, wrench and sockets). It'll be great to have everything in one bag and not just laying out and clunking around. Overall I'm very happy with it! And you can't argue when it's on sale for $15 :)

rayra

Expedition Leader
You're running into one of the problems with highly structured or highly compartmentalized bags like that. Square peg in a round hole, quite literally in this case*, with space wasted by a semi-rigid bag. And the problem often seen in hiking and 'bug-out' bags, over-compartmentalization, where you end up losing usable storage space to bags. Bags within bags. Bags ad nauseum.
If you find yourself constantly fiddling with your load-out you've either got too much free time or OCD / aspbergers. Try to NOT tailor it so specifically. Part of carrying the gear is not always knowing what sort of trouble you'll get in. You might find yourself leaving out something you'll really need, because you didn't plan to need it.

* it's part of why I suggested the round bucket organizer, for the round hole. Your ropes, straps, jumper cables could be coiled around the bag, just inside the rim of the spare. It's just as important to get the most out of the space, as it is to be 'organized'. IMAO, anyway.

n4585k

Check out Delta Bags. German quality, good selection of different functionality. Pricey though...

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Yeah I understand what you're saying. Funny, because I actually went out and bought a 2nd matching bag, haha. The space isn't actually round. It's shaped like the ghosts from pac-man. The bottom is square and the top is round. The two bags fit snugly into the square section of the space, it really couldn't fit any more perfect.

I had to lose my sub though. But it currently isn't working. I was thinking of cracking open the amp and fixing it but this solved that problem. I'd rather have more storage space than a little 8" sub and amp.

I can now hold everything I'd possibly need all the time. And have room for extra stuff I want to throw in for longer trips. I'll snap a photo of the setup once it's not a blizzard outside.

aluke0510

Adventurer
Check out Delta Bags. German quality, good selection of different functionality. Pricey though...

Yeah, so your going to have to provide a link for that one. No way to search Delta and Bag at the same time from the US and not come up with something Delta Airlines related. Add in Germany on the search and you end up with baggage restrictions on flights to Frankfurt.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Yeah, so your going to have to provide a link for that one. No way to search Delta and Bag at the same time from the US and not come up with something Delta Airlines related. Add in Germany on the search and you end up with baggage restrictions on flights to Frankfurt.
I searched for a while on Google too, couldn't find anything no matter what I searched.

aluke0510

Adventurer
I can pick up just a bit of what they saying from my Afrikaans. Some very nice ideas there. Really like their Defender seat covers and the body bag duffel bags. Prices aren't too bad if the quality is really that good, not sure how you would order them for here. Me I'll probably just use some of the ideas when I sew things up for myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears