Storm: Another Astro Camper/Ski/Climb/Bike Van

jmeb

Observer
Last week got the idler arms and upper control arm assemblies replaced. This weekend got to get it in the mountains. Three days of camping in the cold, two ski days and a day of sunny walking around.

No big surprises. Compared to my old Astro it does feel less powerful in the mountains. Trying to decide whether it is the lift (3-4") and tires (235/75 ATs) or if there is something else going on. Likes downshifting (often multiple gears) a lot to accelerate / maintain speed on the slightest of inclines. And makes a bit more noise in the engine compartment (sort of airy / intake noise...but I'm no mechanic). But no codes showing up, runs / idles smoothly, a slight shake at ~20-25mph when accelerating. Maybe just the lift and tires?....

Photo dump at: http://imgur.com/a/Vy68j

A few selections

Campsite 1 w/ my buddies:
12719180_10100806730522390_2714546105086548316_o.jpg

Hiking for some soft turns:
uUzx9IF.jpg

Wandering around roads looking for a bit of down wood for a fire
06gXnc7.jpg

And scooping out the views
Gq2HMrw.jpg

Bed platform in stage of disassembly
gBPECxy.jpg

Back to travel mode
AKAf2I2.jpg

Electric lantern and paracord-paper-towel hanger
K6zuDkb.jpg

Wandering around in the woods
b4md6Cg.jpg

Another night in the cold
5N2SOW2.jpg

Utilizing the swivel seats for cards
U2c5v4n.jpg

And for making breakfast
bp29o86.jpg

Coming over a pass before another ski day
77IfWOP.jpg

The awesome rig I was parked by at Loveland
nNuvhWY.jpg

Last edited:

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Looks like a fun trip!

No big surprises. Compared to my old Astro it does feel less powerful in the mountains. Trying to decide whether it is the lift (3-4") and tires (235/75 ATs) or if there is something else going on. Likes downshifting (often multiple gears) a lot to accelerate / maintain speed on the slightest of inclines. And makes a bit more noise in the engine compartment (sort of airy / intake noise...but I'm no mechanic). But no codes showing up, runs / idles smoothly, a slight shake at ~20-25mph when accelerating. Maybe just the lift and tires?....

It's probably a combination of the lift, larger diameter tires and gearing. What gear ratio is your van, 3.42? The additional noise may be from the lift/fan shroud with 3" body lift or a bad fan clutch.

Might consider disconnecting the battery terminals overnight, perhaps PCM reset may help shifting.

Last edited:

jmeb

Observer
Looks like a fun trip!

It's probably a combination of the lift, larger diameter tires and gearing. What gear ratio is your van, 3.42? The additional noise may be from the lift/fan shroud with 3" body lift or a bad fan clutch.

Might consider disconnecting the battery terminals overnight, perhaps PCM reset may help shifting.

Yep -- that's the conclusion I'm coming too. Probably jumping on the accelerator a bit more too. I've got the 3.42 gears / no G80. (Maybe a powertrax no-slip in the future?)

Have some 225/70 Cooper Discoverer AT3s in the basement with 80% tread left. I may throw those on. They'd look a little less mean, but compared to the current Big O Bigfoot ATs, they seem to have better snow grip and highway manners. May save me an mpg or so.

Good tip rear PCM reset. I'll try it this week.

nobodyhome

Adventurer
When you do the reset, try not only disconnecting cables from the battery, but short the cables together to ensure the capacitors in the PCM are completely drained. They should drain overnight un-shorted, but better to be sure seeing how you are troubleshooting as well.
Good look, let us know!

xterratime

Observer
Cool van, looks like a great camping setup!

Jealous of the late March skiing, ridiculously short season in Mid Atlantic this year.

jmeb

Observer
Added a very simple, interior hatch release this morning. I wanted to be able to open my bedside window in the AM without getting out. Getting ready for warm weather camping.

jmeb

Observer
Some general updates over the past month or two. Done a good bit of baselining: new pads and rotors, coolant flush, fresh fluid in diffs and t-case. A few camper-focused upgrades as well:

- Vanbox. Simple box made out of ply and assembled with a Kreg jig/pocket holes. Sized to turn out of the way behind the drivers seat most of the time, and store the cooler. Turned horizontally it makes a good table between swiveled chairs and the rear bench. It is also use as the last 2' of our sleeping platform.

Sleeping mode:
ezMUlSp.jpg

Traveling mode:
7H22Li3.jpg

Drinking mode:
RA8zrCy.jpg

- Pop up shelf for cooking / etc. Used two folding brackets from Amazon, attached with machine screws and locknuts. Left off the rear trim as it gives storage space for a few odds and ends. Gives a nice spot to stand up and cook under the tailgate.

jsHhpb5.jpg

- Trasharoo. I hadn't seen one mounted to a stock-Astro setup. This seems to be working, although I will be reinforcing the webbing where it gets shut into the tailgates weather stripping.

X1XoG8S.jpg

Random camp photos from the weekend.
rIMDC3I.jpg

VgcuAsp.jpg

xnEYwka.jpg

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
No big surprises. Compared to my old Astro it does feel less powerful in the mountains. Trying to decide whether it is the lift (3-4") and tires (235/75 ATs) or if there is something else going on. Likes downshifting (often multiple gears) a lot to accelerate / maintain speed on the slightest of inclines.

We have 3.42 gears, with 225/75R16 BFG TA KO2 tires and sounds like it rides about the same. Heavy and bigger tires with 3.42 gearing certainly don't help acceleration :)

jmeb

Observer
We have 3.42 gears, with 225/75R16 BFG TA KO2 tires and sounds like it rides about the same. Heavy and bigger tires with 3.42 gearing certainly don't help acceleration :)

Yeah. I'm getting used to going 50-55mph up grades. Remind myself that I'm not really in a rush. Ultimately I think I could get away with a bit more highway biased tires for 90% of the driving I do. But it'd make the other 10% less fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears