Stormproof lighters?

Benjisan

Observer
Stormproof/windproof lighters?

I've always used matches and cheap 99cent lighters but I have a little extra dough and decided to get with the program and buy a windproof lighter. Do you guys use them and if so, have any recommendations on a good durable lighter?

Last edited:

Bella PSD

Explorer
I have a windproof lighter that was a gift to me from work(2 months later...laid-OFF!!). About 10 years ago it was $50. I still have it and it works great!! I can light it and then try to blow it out and it just stays lit!! It has water seals on the top lid too!!

The only small down side I have with windproof lighter is the flame is not that big(tall)....Not like a .99 bic turned up all the way with the 3" flame. But all the .99 bic lighters I had 10 years ago are loooong gone and I still have the windproof lighter.

I will dig it out of the glove box and see what kind it is.

Louie

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I have had two or three over the years and went back to matches. The problem was that the lighters I bought were just so un-reliable. Maybe because I would always go for the lowest to low price point or maybe because they simply aren't durable. The biggest problem I had was with them not igniting anymore and/or pieces breaking off.

I still have one that I keep with me, but it certainly is not the first thing I pull out.

Pete

ZooJunkie

Explorer
I have my trusty old Zippo. Not super windproof, but reliable for all my needs, even at 8000ft. Though I haven't tried over 10kft. yet or the extreme cold. All in all, my Zippo has been with me for all my trips, including the one trip where I forgot to load it up w/ butane before I left!!!! :eek:

jim65wagon

I got an Eddie Bauer on for Christmas, haven't used it outside yet, but since it works like a mini-torch I can see it being very difficult to blow out. I do know from messing with it in the house that it could go through a can of butane in a hurry.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
The brunton helios is about the best out there. You can find it on Amazon for around $45. It has an adjustment on the bottom for fuel air mixture. It has work flawlessly for me.

Burton also has an fuel canister attachment so it can be filled from fuel canisters like jetboil, msr, or snowpeak...etc

http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=34

Here is a review:
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Health%20%26%20Safety/Emergency%20and%20Survival%20Gear/Brunton%20Helios%20Lighter/Owner%20Review%20by%20Michael%20Wheiler/

Helios_L.jpg

Last edited:

Benjisan

Observer
I like that Brunton. Sixty dollars for a lighter when I've always gotten by just fine on matches and Bics...do I have a gear addiction?

Bella PSD

Explorer
Got the lighter from the of the glove box. Its a Windmill "Classic Stormproof" Lighter, Shock Resistant and Stormproof. I remember when I bought it they said it could stay lite at 70 MPH. Once I lite it and stuck it out the window and it stayed lite!!

Also, I just checked into this......Windmill Stormproof Lighter, when returned to the manufacturer, will be restored to first class mechanical condition free of charge.

Louie

Last edited:

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I carry a small butane soldering torch. They can be hard to find in areas where drug smoking is a problem. Crack users love them , or so I am told.

It is not wind proof, but resistant would apply. You can cook the wood until it lights. Dry tinder is still needed though.
It has come in handy for soldering connections, heat shrink sealing the connection as well as lighting fires. They run under $20 with a refillable butane lighter / fuel cell. In a pinch a disposable lighter can replace the fuel cell. I keep one in the door of my truck.

I also keep a ziplock bag of strike anywhere matches on board. Nothing lights a campfire of wet logs quite like a cup of gas from the supply for the 2 cycle generator. I prefer to "flick" a lit match from a distance rather than reach a lighter into the fume laden hot zone :D

robert

Expedition Leader
I've got a Brunton Helios that I carry in the woods and while paddling. Back when Ebay still had good deals, you could find them more reasonably priced. I don't use it very often so it's still full- not sure when I last refilled it but it's been a long time. I left it home when I went overseas and that was in 2004 and it’s still got fuel in it.

While I like my Zippo, they always seem to run out of fuel quickly- especially out west where it's dry.

I have a Blastmatch too- it came in the NRA pocket survival kits that they used to sell ($14 and you got the blastmatch with some tender cubes, a Starflash survival mirror, and a Jetscream whistle all in an Otterbox). It throws a large amount of sparks and will light a fire as well as or better than any other flint and steel I’ve tried, but I worry a little about the plastic tab that holds the striker part breaking off. I bought a couple of the kits and keep one in each of my vehicles.
IMGP1900.jpg

I usually have a Bic on me at all times (even though I don’t smoke). I also like strike anywhere matches in a waterproof case. These are probably the best case for the money and supports a small family owned American business. http://kmmatchcase.safeshopper.com/index.htm?272

jwolfuo

Observer
I have one of these: SOTO Pocket Torch. You insert a cheapo plastic $.25 lighter (non-bic) and it turns the lighter into a torch. I was a bit skeptical of how well it would work, but I must say I've been extremely impressed so far. Simple to use, durable, and incredibly hot flame.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I have one of these: SOTO Pocket Torch. You insert a cheapo plastic $.25 lighter (non-bic) and it turns the lighter into a torch. I was a bit skeptical of how well it would work, but I must say I've been extremely impressed so far. Simple to use, durable, and incredibly hot flame.

Good to know. I had some issues with rainy humid high altitudes recently and it seemed to kill everything I had. I was on my backup's backup backup backup just trying to light the stove.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78

Members online