STOVES: Diesel, Propane or Electric??

jayshapiro

Adventurer
Hi Gang,

OK, I need a second or third opinion on this one... As some of you may know, I am building the Eco-Roamer (that thread, here) and trying to finalize all of the components. I've got most of them sorted, but I'm going in circles on this one.

The decision is for the cooking stove WITHIN the camper. Whether to use Diesel, Propane, Electric-resitive, or Induction. Unfortunately, I have managed to eliminate almost all of them and am left trying to figure out which way to go.

Here's what I've thought so far:

DIESEL: When I first started the project, I intended to use a Diesel stove as "all-diesel" was one of our early mantras.

The most common argument against the Wallas diesel stoves is the "high-altitude" problem, but I believe this has been solved with a new "RV-Oriented" model that Wallas is manufacturing for Webasto, (called the "X100" in USA) which includes an Altitude toggle switch. You can find that new one here.

products_cooker_x100_192x132.jpg

Diesel stoves also have the advantage of no humidity due to the 'fire' being kept sealed in the fire box below.

Interestingly, my chief chef (aka:Alice) objects to this one because there is basically just one cooking area and the entire glass surface heats up without independent controls. We suspect this would make it very difficult to cook with a couple of different pots requiring finite control.

Also, the "webasto" model is not compatible with the heater hood, which is one of the benefits of the other Wallas models.

USAGE: The Wallas is used by Yachts around the world, and by EarthRoamer.

PROPANE:

This is one of the easiest and cheapest options. Most RV's in America use Propane stoves, and so there are many models available in every size and price range.

The individual burners are controllable, and perform well in most environments.

BUT... This would require that we carry a second fuel (i.e. A Propane Tank - not used for anything else on the camper), which has it's own limitations, such as:
- Takes up valuable storage space.
- Cannot be carried on RoRo shipping vehicles (means finding a new one on the other side)
- Limitations on carrying tanks through a lot of tunnels

However, if we did 'have' to carry a Propane tank, then I would use it for an outside small (yacht) BBQ mounted on the front Bull bar. Like this one:
SBQsq-S.jpg

(but that's fodder for another thread...)

Propane stoves also tend to generate a fair bit of humidity in the camper.

USAGE: Charlie Aarons uses Propane in his Unicat and claims that his 30lb tank should last him a year cooking without having to find a source for filling.

INDUCTION:

This was the way we'd been leaning until I started questioning my decisions again. We like the flat surface which doesn't heat up and can be used as a preparation surface with our limited counter space.

The burners are also incredibly fast and efficient. Since they are electric there is no additional fuel requirements. And since there is no flame, there is no humidity and it's safer for the camper and the kids.

We'd selected the CookTek 2500, because it is a good size with 2 burners and has manual knob controls that can be mounted remotely:

CK-ST-25W2-1-500.jpg

BUT... The two burners require 2500W each to run, at 240V. This pretty much guarantees that we would have to run the generator any time you want to even make a pot of tea. We have an 8.5kw Generator, so that's possible, but certainly not ideal.

USAGE: Thomas @ Unicat recommended this for his vehicles, but I've yet to find any Overlander who actually has one in their vehicle. (anyone?!?)

ELECTRIC - RESISTIVE:
My mother had one growing up, and I suppose if it was good enough for her, then it should be good enough for me. But I find them slow and hard to control in a finite way.

Some of the new ones look quite nice, with flat glass surfaces that we could also use as additional counter space, though unlike the Induction stove, this can get very hot and a risk for the kids if they get used to put 'things' on it.

Here's an "Beaumatic" example with 2 burners and manual controls:
PVC2SS.jpg

BUT... They still draw 1.2 - 1.8kW per burner, and given how much effort we put into collecting and storing our electricity, I'm very hesitant to burn it in a big resistor designed burn through Watts intentionally inefficient to generate heat.

USAGE: Emil (EGN) uses this on his MAN TGA truck, and seems very happy that he can run it off his huge inverters without having to run a generator.

----------------------

So have I missed anything? As you can see, I've managed to argue myself into circles on this one, and just can't decide on which direction is the best to go on this one.

Thanks for your help on this one!
Jay.

TheGillz

Explorer
Can you add more solar capabilities to reduce the need for the generator to run while using either of the electric models?

jayshapiro

Adventurer
Solar Panels

We will have 9 x 195W Sanyo Panels. Time will tell how much they actually generate once connected to the charge controller and camping under a Tree. :oops:

We also have a NextGen 8.5Kw Diesel generator...

A 200A alternator on the CAT C7 Diesel engine, with 150 Gal of fuel...

And a bank of Surrette deep discharge batteries.

Sorry, I probably should have included those in the original post.

Thanks,
Jay.

slooowr6

Explorer
From using the cooking range I've at home, I would not use any stoves/cook tops that has seal glass top. It sounds like a good idea for easy cleaning but the experience of using one is far from that. If the pots and pans have any residue at the bottom the glass surface will leave a burnt mark and needs to be clean after cooking or it'll bake itself and very hard to remove later. I've to clean the glass top with the cleaner so often I'll not get a range/stove with glass top ever.

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Jay;
If I were building a camper as large as yours I would consider an indoor and an outdoor kitchen set-up. I would go with the diesel cooktop inside. This will allow you to cook without ever having to run the generator or seriously deplete your batteries. Then I would have a 2 burner propane stove and the gas BBQ at the outside kitchen mounted on a roll-out or foldout shelf/platform with a water tap and with easy access to the kitchen or a pass-thru. This setup would provide you with 2 alternate sources of cooking fuel in case of emergency. During mild weather it is much more pleasant to cook outside. But during extreme weather, or bug infestations it is nice to have the interior kitchen. For a quick cup of tea or coffee on the side of the road the diesel stove would be ideal (I have read that they are good for boiling, but poor for simmering and frying).

Ask any chef, and they will tell you that a gas cooktop is the only way to go, the heat control offered by a gas flame will never be matched by any glass top electric or diesel unit.

Cheers
Mark

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"Can you add more solar capabilities to reduce the need for the generator to run while using either of the electric models?"

Theoreticly yes he can,,,,,,,,,,practicly......not really...

2500 W at 240 Volts =10.4 amps for one burner

2500 W at 12 Volt =208 amps...required using a no loss invertor (does not exist)

His solar array is 9 X 190 watts ...theorectical....=1710 watts

Those 9 panels take up an area of 10ft X 11 ft with no gaps.......

angled at the sun at mid day with no clouds.......

To boil a cup of coffee he'd need another 4.15 panels.......at 100% efficiency

Now of course you have the battery bank too....... so yep he could boil a a cup of coffee and a complete 20min meal.......

But he'd still have a very limited time, and drop his batterys extremely low.

Solar and low power items are great...for cooking.....not really a good fix.

for a coffee, one of those little 12V cup heaters would be more efficient

Propane for me.....moisture is not really an issue, open a window...
tunnels....only an issue in some countries...and only if you actually stop and declare the cylinder.

Buying one on arrival....no real issues...and you can ship anything empty...
only full you have restrictions

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12