Stowing during rain

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
So lets say its raining.
You get up, mosey out of bed and make some bacon. when its time to pack up, and its still pouring, how do you stow yur RTT so the next night everything inside isn't soaked? Does it just keep the moisture out if the windows are all closed? or what

fortel

Adventurer
I've wondered the same thing.

I like the idea of a RTT, but I also have noted in more than a few trip reports where folks mentioned having to take a day to dry everything out from packing up in the rain. Being in the midwest, and originally from the southeast, I can count on my trips more likely than not involving rain. I've done lots of trips where with a RTT I would have had to fold it up wet for three or four days in a row. Seems like water would saturate the tent fabric, mattress and any bedding. RTTs seem like a great solution in the dryer parts of the country but I wonder if they are really suited for my area.

All that said, I still like the idea of sleeping up high that an RTT offers as long as it doesn't result in wet bedding.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Not sure this helps RTTs, but on my Flippac, if I have to pack it wet, (forget to put on rainfly) I cover the mattress with trash bags and remove the bedding (always do anyway) The tent is wet, but my mattress stays dry. One other thought, if it calls for rain, why not throw a Kelty Noah Tarp over the RTT? I use one in the summer over my rainfly to help with keeping cool.

073015pod_041.jpg

Javelinadave

Adventurer
I dealt with this last week in Northern England and Scotland. We packed up and deployed on three separate occasions that week and it was never a problem. To our surprise things just stayed dry.

conifers4

Suburban nomad
My second time using my Tepui it poured all morning, it was time to go so I had no choice but to stow it wet. Got home 4 hours later and deployed it in the driveway, luckily skies cleared and a nice breeze developed. Dried the sucker right out!!!

Lucky j

Explorer
Did it with my girls freind hard shell autohome for a week of wet camping in nwe-hampshire, never had issues with the beding.

Did about the same with my arb last june up-north, no problems either. But both our matress are cover with a water proof cordura.

And in my ARB, when you close the tent, the matress fold in 2 over the sleeping bags and pillows, and the rain fly from the tent and the window shade protect from the water.

But still I prefer closing any tent when dry.

mowerman

Adventurer
I packed my old canvas one away wet and when the day brightened I opened it up and everything was still dry inside

concretejungle

Adventurer
i've packed my JB space evo after a heavy rain or during a light rain a couple of times. The only place that i've noticed getting wet is just a tad on the mattress at the doors. When you fold it down you have to leave the doors slightly unzipped otherwise it's like a giant balloon and you can't close it. So, just that area that folds in and touches the mattress get's a little wet.

Box Rocket

Grant (and others) you should take a look at the Tepui Weather Hoods. Most think they are primarily for cold weather camping which is true....sort of. The weather hoods are also completely water proof and are perfectly suited for rainy weather. Rain water just runs off of them like it would the travel cover and the tent itself never gets wet so throw the weather hood on before the rain and pull it off again before stowing the tent and you're always putting away a dry tent.

Deur

We had to fold our Tepui Autana wet for a couple of days in a row while on Vancouver Island 2 years ago. Mattress didn't stay perfectly dry, as tent fabric was getting saturated. Issue was at the edges of the mattress, with main sleeping area staying dry. Not an issue that kept us awake, but we were happy that we were able to dry everything after 3 or four days. I did order the weather hood a few weeks ago, as I think it will make that you last a bit longer in heavy rain (which is nice with many of our trips being in British Columbia - Canada).

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
How on earth do you put the weather hood on? I'm sure its easy on a stock or low roof line vehicle, but what about for the high roof vehicles like lifted JKs, Disco's, 80 series etc? Are you guys using a ladder in your driveway before you leave or is there a trick to doing it when you are unfolding the RTT?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12