STT Pro or ST Maxx????

rc51kid

Adventurer
I am going to order a set of these in the next few hours. Getting a great deal from my local Mud vender/friend. I cant deside between the STT Pro or ST Maxx. I havce a lot of freinds wheeling on the Maxx and they are happy with them. But the Pro looks to be a little more aggressive and really no complaints about noise or wandering at speeds.

I have a short 7 mile daily comunte and drive short distances around town. Twice a year i do long distance 2200 mile each way cross country drive. I dont care much about noise but do care about tracking at speed and stability on at speeds around 65-70. Off road performance is important to me. Mostly i off road in Utah and WY/MT. But also in the southeast where i do encounter mud.

I have read plenty of reviews of the ST Maxx, all great. I am going to read some on the Pro right now. But let me know what you guys think.

PS 1994 FZJ80 if it matters

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I have the S/T Maxx, and they work great on and off road.
I've got the larger 315/70 R17 tires, and they do flat spot over night taking about an eighth to tenth of a mile to "get round" first thing in the morning.
They are very grippy in the rocks for an all terrain. They do chip, and I've got some light slicing in the tread blocks from spinning on sharp rocks.
They also do well on loose rocky trails.

On the street, they are great in heavy rain, do well in snow, and just OK on icy roads.
What surprised me was their composure in the rough twisty canyon roads. I thought they'd be skittish with D rated sidewalls and street pressures (30psi in my case). Instead they are very planted with little side wall roll, considering the height of the side wall, and aggressive tread.

EDIT to fix Sidewall rating (thank's to Rubicon Geoff for the correction! :))

All that said, it appears you are leaning towards the STT Pro. I've read a lot of very positive reviews on this tire, and it looks great. I have a friend who has them on her Jeep. She pretty much only drives on the street. She likes them.

Both are great so go with what you want. Every time you walk out and see them, you'll be glad you did. :beer:

Attachments

• Deer-Valley-Trail.jpg
    Deer-Valley-Trail.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
If offroad performance is most important to you then I would go with the Pro. It'll probably be louder on the highway but it's easily the most superior "hybrid MT" on the market and should get you through just about anything.

poriggity

Explorer
I had this same decision to make recently. I went with the stt pro and i am happy. I only have about 3500 miles on them but so far they are wearing great.. they do have some road noise but it's not too bad..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I would lean toward Maxx, I wouldn't drive a MT tire all year just for a little mud activity. The Maxx isn't as good in the mud but is respectable, and will have better manners for the other 95% of your driving.

But in the end they are both great tires, hard to go too wrong here.

Robert Bills

Explorer
I would agree with BigSwede on favoring the ST/Maxx over the STT Pro for your purposes. Why? You indicate that you take "two 2200 miles each way" cross country trips each year. That's 8,800 interstate miles. Compared with a realistic estimate of your off road miles and how many of those offroad miles would actually require the more aggressive tread of the STT Pro vs. the ST/Maxx, on balance the ST/Maxx is a better compromise for 99% of your driving.

Yes, the STT Pro looks cool. Yes, looks are often the reason one tire is chosen over another. But is that the most rational basis for choosing a tire?

My ST/Maxx tires work very well in the sharp volcanic rock and logging debris common in my area. They have also worked well in the Sierra Nevada mountain range, the northern Nevada desert, Death Valley and in Moab. I typically drive an average of 300 miles each way to/from the trailhead, and sometime more than 1,000 miles each way. I also take at least two 1,500 mile road trips each year. On balance, my needs are better served by the ST/Maxx than the STT Pro as good as the STT Pro may be.

2005%2520Nissan%2520Xterra%2520Offroad%2520with%25201946%2520Bantam%2520T3-C.jpg

Last edited:

87Warrior

GP'er
I would agree with BigSwede on favoring the ST/Maxx over the STT Pro for your purposes. Why? You indicate that you take "two 2200 miles each way" cross country trips each year. That's 8,800 interstate miles. Compared with a realistic estimate of your off road miles and how many of those offroad miles would actually require the more aggressive tread of the STT Pro vs. the ST/Maxx, on balance the ST/Maxx is a better compromise for 99% of your driving.

Yes, the STT Pro looks cool. Yes, looks are often the reason one tire is chosen over another. But is that the most rational basis for choosing a tire?

My ST/Maxx tires work very well in the sharp volcanic rock and logging debris common in my area. They have also worked well in the Sierra Nevada mountain range, the northern Nevada desert, Death Valley and in Moab. I typically drive an average of 300 miles each way to/from the trailhead, and sometime more than 1,000 miles each way. I also take at least two 1,500 mile road trips each year. On balance, my needs are better served by the ST/Maxx than the STT Pro as good as the STT Pro may be.

I'll echo the above. I followed the same logic with my tire choice for my Jeep. Previously I ran the STT (original) and put 55k miles on them. Darn impressive for a mud tire in my opinion. The Maxx are smoother and quieter.

rc51kid

Adventurer

[/IMG]

Let me just clarify. I drive 2200 miles from Atlanta to Yellowstone. Work 5 months then drive home. So about 4500 miles a year in that drive. But i am putting about 15-18,000 miles a year on the truck.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
You live in mud country. Enjoy the STT Pro. It's what you want.
Yeah it has down sides on the street. It's a mud tire.
But you really want them. That more than makes up for any trivial downside.

Sometimes you just have to get what you want, because you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need.
I think I hear Keith Richards calling.

wj_jeep92

I have the pro's on my xj and love them! They are wearing great, do fantastic in the rocks, and are decent in the mud. I will mention that I have open diffs right now and that plays a huge part in the mud performance. I typically air down to about 12-15psi and I really have no complaints. On road they are just as good as the general at2's I used to rock on my wj. Not much road noise either.

poriggity

Explorer
I would definitely go with the Maxx, I could only put a pro type tire on a dedicated trail truck.
I disagree here.. my truck is a roy, but it's far from a dedicated trail toy. It sees regular commuting a couple days a week, 100 mules round trip with no issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I wouldn't expect "issues" with the Pro, on pavement it will just be a bit noisier, a bit poorer gas mileage, and a bit less traction/handling. We are talking incremental differences here. Worth expending electrons on in an internet debate, but hardly critical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears