Stuck in Seattle!!! OM617 Bell Housing Question

mtnmog

I have just recently purchased a 65 Unimog 404 that has the OM617 conversion done. I believe it has the aftermarket bell housing, without an access hole. I got it with a new clutch, but the through out bearing had fallen off off the shaft. I found someone to work on it, and he pulled the engine, reinstalled the clips and bolted it back up. There is some play in the shaft, and it fell right off again, so we are back to square one. Does anyone have experience with this? We are trying to figure out of the clutch fork shaft is supposed to be stationary, and would it be possible to create an inspection hole in the bell housing so that the engine wouldn't have to be pulled forward for access. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

mtnmog

Still Stuck

Well after 7 mths I am still "Stuck In Seattle". The engine had been pulled forward, missing parts (so we thought) installed and there are still problems. My question to anyone who has dealt with a similar setup is...

If a 3.5" access hole, like the one in some original bell housings were drilled into the Dietrich for access, do you think that it would be a problem with structural integrity? I am not an engineer, or even very mechanical, but the nice gentleman working on this for me has worked on his 404 and much more mechanically inclined. He has consulted his best resources and they didn't think that it would be a problem but we are always up for second opinions.

I must ad, that logistics and budgets have also added to the time delay, not pure incompetence... I appreciate any constructive input.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
I think it would depend on where the hole is cut. A few photos would help,

My view would be that it should be fine as long as it's not too close to a mounting/bolt point.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I think it could be okay as well as long as the cut is done carefully - no corners or other stress risers to start cracks. I would use a hole saw to make a nice circular cut and sand it smooth afterwards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman