Student Project: Front Bumper & Recover R&D

Arclight

SAR guy
You might want to start with the basic concepts of getting stuck and subsequent recovery. These are the things I have had happen:

1. Losing traction in deep sand, mud, or snow. This may or may not be accompanied by getting the truck's axles and underthings buried in said material.

2. Driving the right side into a ditch or similar.

3. High-centering - you tried to drive over an apex that was too tall and the middle of the vehicle got hung up.

4. Getting hung up on a departure - i.e. you tried to cross a washout in the road and the truck was too long and/or low to negotiate it.

Here in the California/Nevada West, the shovel has been the #1 most valuable tool for me. Next would be the jack (Hi-lift and/or hydraulic jack). Most of the places I drive have few trees, so I've never had a winch.

The first order of business when I get stuck is to stop getting myself more stuck.

Once I get out and and survey the problem, my next step is almost always to break out the shovel and start working to remove anything that is hanging up the truck. In conjunction with the jack, you can use a shovel to remove the high-spot of dirt that is hanging up the rear axle, and then put that dirt under the tires. In snow or other loose stuff, I might shovel to remove a berm of material from in front of the tries, or to modify the road to make getting out easier.

For me, the jack is often a tool to get access to underneath the tires. Being able to lift from the front or back bumper and get the tires 6" in the air will let me put dirt, wood or brush under those tires. Being able to plant the jack right into the rim or on a corner of the bumper is very handy here.

The next thing that works really well is a tow strap and a second vehicle. This is where having heavy-duty shackles that will not break and are mounted in a way that won't twist your frame rails is really nice to have.

A tree saw, pick and shovel are also great for modifying infrequently-used trails so that I can take an easier line and not have to take a rougher or off-camber path.

Recovering from a roll-over or slide-off-a-hill is usually a 2 or 3 vehicle effort, and sturdy recovery points are what's going to be handy here.

For your project, I might look at lightweight front and rear bumpers that combine sturdy recovery points with a stiff, ribbed design and jacking points on the edges. For a "new concept" project, you could look at "porta-power" devices that let you use compressed air hookups and a single hydraulic cylinder to jack, push, pull, etc without having to carry multiple tools. Look at the hydraulic push/pulling sets that Harbor Freight sells for an idea. If you put appropriate accessories in a kit and made bumpers that would accept those attachments, you could have a lot of options for quick recovery. You could even use it like a winch with chains or cable. The marine salvage industry uses techniques like this all the time.

Just a few thoughts...

Arclight

Whats up overlanders and offroaders alike. Im a student at Art Center College of Design in Pasadena doing a project on off road vehicle recovery. For my project Im focusing on re-designing the front bumper, not just tweeking or adding more features necessarily but mostly trying to come up with new recovery concepts completely. Id love to get some insight from all of you on what experience you have with your aftermarket or custom front bumper, what works well, what doesn't work well, any ideas that you have had? Id also like to hear some of your craziest or most disastrous or just adventurous recovery operations.

Thank, hope to hear some interesting stories and insights from some experienced and even beginner drivers.

Reese

rbutler

Thanks guys. Can you explain your reasoning for me for some of these suggestions? It helps gear my design in a certain direction and strengthens my 'design drivers.' Im not totally inexperienced in this field but I would like to hear why specifically to you, these things are important, and any experiences that led you to this. Why do you want it to be light weight, why do you need a foot step on it?

Thanks again,

Reese

DaVikes

Adventurer
The reason for lightweight bumpers is that the suspensions on overland trucks are usually running near max capacity. Being over max capacity can be unsafe and illegal. If you can save weight in the bumpers or other usually heavy items like armor, you can then decide to bring something else along.

Arclight

SAR guy
I think shackles are superior. Most tow hooks are mounted with two bolts that are in-line with each other, and don't offer a lot of protection from twisting the frame rail when the pull is off-center. A shackle usually is mounted in such a way that pulls from any direction are much less likely to cause damage.

Tow hooks also don't retain a recovery strap as well as a shackle does.

Arclight

Question: Are tow hooks adequate replacement for shackles? Why or why not?

rbutler

Hey guys what do you think about these ideas? Focusing on water crossing abilities for now, trying to create the optimal bow plane.

Screen Shot 2014-06-29 at 7.16.22 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-06-29 at 7.16.38 PM.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger