Student Project: Front Bumper & Recover R&D

redriderrick

VERY DISCO
Question: Are tow hooks adequate replacement for shackles? Why or why not?

I say no. Tow hooks are a little bit "old school" now, with shackles being a safer (multidirectional) option. A tow strap can come off of a tow hook with repeated load applications and releases, particularly if the direction of pull shifts upward.

roverandom

Adventurer
This hapened in a trail that laster 18 hours of suffering i was stuck in a mud pit at 2 in the morning and a 10 inch lug was jammed to my weel and the only way was to winch the lug and it took part of my bumper brock the headlights and the front flasher.
8221ae63d048077b0cc05f799050a036.jpg

So lesson learned and i started my bumper design .
What i did is i integrated led light bar plus some led fog lights and the winch is behind all of everything taking into considaration not to push my buper forward more than 2 inches and only 1 inch lower than the land rover chassi .
Do not laught at the picture with the small wheels (bigger is comming)
ec51293ce9b511888ca1fd033a8158dc.jpg

49615355fcc89ecb2d67e772681e1f35.jpg

And the rear
d577abdb6fa5e640adc7931be50c16cc.jpg

Nice, but it looks like access to the winch is going to be difficult. Not fun in a mud hole or freezing water crossing. Despite what the Moab crawlers claim you can push the bumper out an inch to make access easier to the winch without ruining its off road ability. It's a disco, not a rock buggy, just take a look at the rear overhang!

Also, be sure not to build it too strong, especially on Land Rovers. Why you ask? Because more than once I've seen ultra strong bumpers take hard impacts with no damage and transfer the load to the chassis and bend/break it instead. Land Rover chassis are made of very thin metal. Given a choice I would take a crumpled fender over a bent chassis.

My 2c.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

94Discovery

Adventurer
Nice, but it looks like access to the winch is going to be difficult. Not fun in a mud hole or freezing water crossing. Despite what the Moab crawlers claim you can push the bumper out an inch to make access easier to the winch without ruining its off road ability. It's a disco, not a rock buggy, just take a look at the rear overhang!

Also, be sure not to build it too strong, especially on Land Rovers. Why you ask? Because more than once I've seen ultra strong bumpers take hard impacts with no damage and transfer the load to the chassis and bend/break it instead. Land Rover chassis are made of very thin metal. Given a choice I would take a crumpled fender over a bent chassis.

My 2c.

I totally dig what you said above for the thin material yet i am not racing or crazy lead footed like some people the material is chosen like this for low impact to protect the light and surrounding .
As for the winch if you are talking about winding and unwinding the cable i am using the remote to do both and i make sure that do not overlap so it does not gam ,i am living with this problem ,i might build a mechanisim to extend the cable release .
As for water crossing and freezing water accessing the winch is no problem i already thought off adding a modular bull bar with angled bracket that i can roll the winch cable for quick access . Will post the finished product when i receive it from the bender .

roverandom

Adventurer
94 Discovery, if you think this arrangement is gonna work well for you then that's all that really matters.

Most functional winch and bumper arrangement I've ever used is an old Warn 8472 mounted in the recess of my Series 3 with a reinforced factory bumper. No fuss, just works when you need it to.

rbutler

Hey guys, so here are some of my ideas. Focusing on water crossings, trying to create an optimal bow plane. Tell me what you guys think.

Screen Shot 2014-06-29 at 7.16.22 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-06-29 at 7.16.38 PM.jpg

94Discovery

Adventurer
Another option you can make opening in your bumper for air circulation for oil cooling purposes and you lighten the bumper and add the cool effect

roverandom

Adventurer
Toybota anyone?

You don't need any of that stuff to cross water. I've never seen anything beat a $10 tarp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman