Stuffed a Group 31 (100 Ah) battery to the AUX battery location in the LR3 =)

Avslash

Observer
Timely thread for me.

I just changed out my Group 34 yellowtop for an X2 Group 24.

It was the largest I could get into the auxiliary tray on the LR4 with just a little dremel work. No way I could have gotten a 31 in there with the second air intake on the LR4.

It's 76AH though, so a full 50% better than the yellowtop.

perkj

Explorer
Timely thread for me.

I just changed out my Group 34 yellowtop for an X2 Group 24.

It was the largest I could get into the auxiliary tray on the LR4 with just a little dremel work. No way I could have gotten a 31 in there with the second air intake on the LR4.

It's 76AH though, so a full 50% better than the yellowtop.

Where are the pictures?!

@Jwestpro you'd love the BT module. Although GAP does not recommend the module is to be used for full-time use and monitoring, you can easily put it in while on the move and load your profile and live values on the fly. For stuff that requires CF or clearing of codes, you have to cycle the key but I routinely install it on the move to check things on the road, especially when I was chasing that fuel code I got a while back.

You'd love it!

Avslash

Observer
It happened...:)

@perkj

The battery in question. Group 24, 76AH AGM.

the battery.jpg

My shoddy dremel work. I freely admit I should not be allowed to use a dremel while unsupervised, but it works. Only trimming required was at the forward base of the tray.

dremeled tray.jpg

I did sand down some of the "waffle board" on negative side of the battery. I also took a few file strokes on the brake fluid reservoir flange to slicken it up in case there was ever any contact.

shaved battery.jpg

Hooked up, strapped down, and functional. I can grab it with both hands and rock the truck back and forth. I will dress the wires with split loom, and trim some more off of the threaded rod, but it is functional as it sits.

in situ.jpg

And it doesn't touch the brake fluid reservoir.

battery gap.jpg

If you insist on the battery compartment cover snapping shut, this is not the mod for you.

Battery Cover.jpg

But the hood does close and latch with the battery compartment cover in place without any issues.

Closed Hood.jpg

And once I get the NOCO charger mounted under the hood, I will officially be out of room under the hood.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior