Stuffed Apples

LifeRemotely

Observer
apple.jpg

Serves: 4
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Cost: Less than $5

This is a very simple desert that can be made while grilling or making a poitjie on a charcoal fire. The apples are perfect for a cold camping night. They dissolve in your mouth in what can only be called a flavor explosion.

The Ingredients

• ¼ cup honey or maple syrup
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • ½ cup raisins
  • ½ cup nuts, chopped (brazil, almond and macadamia are the best)
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2 tbs. rum or liquor of choice
  • 4 red apples, cored and peeled
  • 4 tsp. margarine or butter

The Steps

1. Mix the honey or maple syrup, sugar, raisins, nuts, cinnamon and rum together.
  2. Peel the apples. Using a sharp, thin knife, cut out the core leaving a 1-1½ inch hole through the apple.
  3. Place the apple in the center of a 12-inch piece of aluminum foil and spoon the filling inside until full. Place 1 tsp of butter on top of the filling. Wrap the foil around the apple. Repeat for the remaining apples. You should have about ½ cup of the filling leftover.
  4. Set the apples directly next to the lit charcoal and cook for 20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes or so.
  5. Meanwhile simmer the remaining filling with ½ cup water over medium heat until thickened slightly, 5-10 minutes.
  6. Pull the apples from the fire. Unwrap, slice open and and top with the reduced sauce.

DarinM

Explorer
I've done a different version of that several times. I just core out the apple, put some cream cheese, butter, brown sugar and cinnamon inside and put it directly on the grill over hot coals. If you happen to have any butterscotch schnapps and/or Bailey's handy, it's pretty tasty if you baste generously while cooking. Cook it until it gets soft and serve with ice cream (if it's available) and a hot cup of coffee (always available).

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
We've baked a lot of apples but have never stuffed them. Going to have to remedy that after reading this thread. What kind of apples do you guys use for grilling? I prefer Northern Spies, Granny Smiths or Fujis when we cook 'em up.

LifeRemotely

Observer
Mark, depends on how sweet you like them.

I have tried Granny Smith, a little to tart for me but my wife loves them. I prefer red apples myself.

I would say try and range and see what you like best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman