Stumptaco Expedition Vehicle Build-Up

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
The end of an era?

Well, 8 weeks after starting this frame rust stuff with Toyota, I finally got some info. Because I am over here in Germany with the military, it was not a typical case, for obvious reasons.

After this and that, my case manager today finally told me to put the truck up on the rack, take pictures of the damage, and send them to her in an email. She said it was the easiest way, instead of trying to tell the German Toyota dealerships (they dont have tacos over here)how to do the inspection, blah blah blah. She basically told me what I needed to find to have my truck bought back.

Holes.

No holes, no money.

It doesnt matter that I have 4inch chunks of rusted steel flaking off, apparently that is the same as "surface rust" (which of course is bull, and she knew it), but she was way cool about it, and basically told me to find a rusted hole in the frame and I would be set.

I checked the frame a couple weeks ago, and the metal dented very easily in front of the spring holders.

Today, I put the truck up on the rack, and hit the frame with a ballpean hammer like the Toyota PDF says to do, and the second hit it went through the frame. I was honestly surprised how easily it went through, as the frame does not look bad from the outside compared to other I have seen.

I sent my case manager all of the photos and info, just waiting to hear back from them now. I will REALLY hate losing my taco, but I dont want it if its going to be dangerous or fall apart (literally) in a years time. The money they are paying is too good to pass up.

Time will tell :(

DSCN0238.jpg

DSCN0234.jpg

I also threw in these pics with the email to the lady at Toyota just to let her know how much I loved my truck. I also kind of like showing it off every once in a while. :D

SS100283.jpg

SS100280.jpg

~James

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
ouch...:eek:

At least now you have a chance to start fresh

-Max

Edit: kind of makes me nervous though, with all the troubles you guys are having with your frames. Bending behind the cab and rust and whatnot I hope the 05+ frames are beefier and treated better.

I didn't read enough of the other threads to find out, why are they rusting so badly?

Last edited:

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
Is this a recall issue? Where did you live before Germany and did you have your tacoma then? Your frame needs to be repaired before you go wheeling again, take a wire wheel or a sanding disk and clean the frame to see if the rot is on top, bottom, and back of the frame also. What I'm wondering is if the frame can even be repaired by plateing. Is it only happening on the rear of the truck?

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
You have to hate the rusties!

stumptaco said:
Today, I put the truck up on the rack, and hit the frame with a ballpean hammer like the Toyota PDF says to do, and the second hit it went through the frame. I was honestly surprised how easily it went through, as the frame does not look bad from the outside compared to other I have seen.

I can understand how you feel. Just went through the inspection but the truck passed, thank godness. I'm not ready to part with it just yet, after all the work I want to enjoy it some. The good thing is that Toyota is paying good money for these trucks at the moment.
Cheers,
P

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Max, they had some issues with treating/sealing the frames from the factory on the 95.5 - 2000 tacos. I have heard of a few rust issues on newer 05 up trucks, but not to the point of holes yet. Just surface rust. The problem with the older gen tacos is they were rusting from the inside out. The outside of my frame looks good (other than slight surface rust, and obviously a lot of mud), but many of the trucks you can put your finger right through the frame rail even though it looks ok.

Taco Chaser (sorry, I dont think Ive ever seen your real name!), I assumed (wrongly) that everyone would know what I was talking about. Its not an official recall from toyota, but its "voluntary". They are saying its a 15 year "extended warranty". They have bought back TONS of tacos in the past two months, and now they are getting overloaded with the amount of trucks who have very bad issues with rust. Here is a link on TTORA discussing the issues.

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95993

The frame has been strengthened on the outside with the Demello frame plates, but this is obviously a little further towards the front of the truck. If Toyota buys the truck back (and they most likely will), I have probably had my last wheeling days with this taco. If for some reason they dont buy it back, I will rebuild the entire truck from the cab back. It will become a serious project. My frame is probably one of the best looking frames that actually has a hole, most of them are completely shot. And they tend to start where mine is rotting, and go from there. Here are a few shots of some seriously rotted frames.

...... I just got off the phone with Toyota. They called and said it looks like the Taco is headed to the crusher! :(

Now they are trying to figure out what zip code to use with Kelly Blue Book to make me an offer on the truck.

Its a sad day indeed. I will start pulling parts off of her soon. Damn, its like losing a best friend or something...

The offer for my truck SHOULD be $13,860 (1.5 times KBB retail/ex condition) That will make it a little easier. Thats 6 thousand dollars more than I paid for it 2 years ago, and I get to keep all of the aftermarket stuff!

~James

P, you better take care of her! it hurts bad, and mine is still in the driveway!

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
That's horrible man, sorry to here about it, that is some nasty rot. When you get your new truck, after you install everything maybe undercoat or bed line the frame. Have you looked into a new or used frame cost and considered swapping everything?

Matt

SWDesertTaco

Adventurer
Ouch

Hey,
I've really enjoyed reading your build up thread and now the crushing news... (really no pun intended).

Its fortunate that you're getting such a good deal on the buy back, but still hard to lose something like that. I know I wouldn't want to trade mine out for any kind of cash.
Keep us posted on what develops..when you have a new ride coming..
I guess we'll witness your fab skills at work again :)

-C

bobmuley

Stumptaco, sorry to hear the bad news regarding your frame.

I haven't been here long but enjoy reading your buildup. Hopefully I'll get the pleasure of reading another by you on a new platform...besides, I get the feeling that you like the modifying as much or more as the driving.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
That sucks. It's really sad that all of these nice trucks are going to the crusher. I hope this is all limited to 95-00 trucks, like Toyota said.

What are you going to get when you get the check? You should get a Hilux!!

BTW, I would use a zip code from Utah, Colorado or the surrounding areas. Seems to have the highest resale value.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
The Tacos last wheeling trip... :(

Well, this weekend was most likely the last wheeling tirp for my taco before Toyota comes and sends it to its early grave. It, as usual, performed flawlessly, unlike the Jeeps I was with. I decided that since I was going over to the Jeep side of the wheeling world, I should make friends with the local Jeep club and go with them. They were a really cool groups of folks, and we had a blast. They gained a new respect for Toyota's wheeling ability, and I think I will be right at home with this group once the XJ gets over here.

Here are a bunch-o-pics:

DSCN0300.jpg

DSCN0299.jpg

DSCN0298.jpg

DSCN0297.jpg

DSCN0296.jpg

DSCN0295.jpg

DSCN0294.jpg

DSCN0293.jpg

DSCN0292.jpg

DSCN0291.jpg

Last edited:

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Jeep Carnage:
TJ #1, ripped open tranny oil pan after a pretty amazing rock run. Did great through a wicked line, then on the exit the tranny pan popped open.. Took it off, and mig welded it shut, drove it home.

TJ #2, broken U-joint, had a spare fixed it. Same TJ, broken brake line, had a spare, fixed it. Same TJ, shifter linkage fell off, fixed it.

TJ #3, broken front Diff, removed drive shaft and continued the day in 2WD.

Grand Cherokee Limited, completley destroyed passenger side sheet metal in the rocks, had no business being there without armor and completely stock. Same Cherokee, security system malfunctioned, and would not stay running. Had to call a tow truck to tow him all the way home.

Toyota Carnage:
None. :clapsmile Went everywhere the Jeeps did, and someplaces the Jeeps couldnt go. Even those that were fully locked.... Long wheelbase makes for a nice hill climbing vehicle :)

Im not bragging or anything.... just sayin'. :luxhello: I hope my XJ is almost as tough as my Taco has been, except for that whole frame thing.

While this was probably the last wheeling trip for the taco, I am taking a pretty big trip next week to Sweden. It should be about a 2,400 mile round trip and will include a 4 night camping stay. I will finally get to use the RTT, and everything else. Should be fun!

~James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78

Members online