Stumptaco's has gone over to the darkside..XJ style.

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
Good ideas!

So many good ideas! I've printed out some pictures to put in my "improvements" file.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Figured I would update a little on my thread.

I just got finished installing my dual battery set-up. I am using a Xantrex Pathmaker 100 isolator/connector and the remote control panel. Had a little trouble with a bad connection between the remote and main panel, but once I figured it out and fixed it, everything worked like it should.

I installed the auxillary battery in the rear section of my XJ, since there is absolutely no room under the hood for it if you want to keep the stock airbox, and I do because I have my snorkel. This is actually better for me (I think) because I am going to be running a rear winch soon, and will have a place to hook to the winch to without going all the way to the front of the truck. Right now, the front Optima is running only the Jeep and the front winch, the aucillary battery is now running everything else. (Soon to be rear winch, 6 HID aux lights, rear halogen lights, fridge, compressor, inverter, camera, monitor, rear 12 volt sockets, etc.)

Turned out pretty good, was a pain getting all the pre-existing wiring to the rear, but its done. For now I have a deep cycle/starting (800amp) marine battery until I get something in the dry cell group. Installed my littel MV-50 in the box, and the inverter 700watt/1400watt on the top. I also added 3 12volt sockets on the top as well for whatever...

Not many pictures in between, but you get the idea.

DSCN1274.jpg

DSCN1273.jpg

DSCN1345.jpg

DSCN1344.jpg

DSCN1343.jpg

DSCN1342.jpg

DSCN1339.jpg

DSCN1340.jpg

DSCN1341.jpg

~James

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
The other major project was for me to trim the rear fenders. I trimmed the front about 6 months ago, right before I shipped the jeep from Germany. I put off doing the rear since it is much more involved than the front. On the unibody XJ, when you trim the rear fenders (actually cut them, not just fold them over) you also cut the inner fender, so you have to go back in a weld in a panel to hook the outer shell and inner body back together. The picture should show the rest of the story. Turned out great, and I am very happy to have plenty of tire clearance when flexing.

Pics may or may not be in perfect order...

DSCN1202.jpg

DSCN1204.jpg

DSCN1205.jpg

DSCN1206.jpg

DSCN1213.jpg

DSCN1218.jpg

DSCN1219.jpg

DSCN1220.jpg

DSCN1221.jpg

DSCN1224.jpg

Continued.

Last edited:

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I also managed to rebuild an old 8274 winch that I got for free from my Dad's friend. It will go on the front, once I re-do the the front bumper, and I will move the smitty built to the rear bumper when it gets built (hopefully sooner than later)

Here it is all torn apart. I ordered a few parts for it, seals, bushing etc.

DSCN1127.jpg

DSCN1128.jpg

DSCN1129.jpg

DSCN1131.jpg

DSCN1132.jpg

DSCN1126.jpg

Here she is, after a good bead blasting, and fresh paint/rebuilding.

Just finishing up the solenoid box re-wire, and need to spool it with cable then it will be ready to bolt on.

DSCN1305.jpg

DSCN1306-1.jpg

DSCN1310.jpg

DSCN1306.jpg

~James

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Very nice James, the Warn looks new. I really like your approach to the second battery location and it's compartment.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Lets see... what else have I done to this thing.

Replaced some unit bearings in the front.

DSCN1194.jpg

Removed my milemarker wireless winch set-up

DSCN0532.jpg

And replaced it with the roadless gear set-up. works great so far, I have another of these units for the rear winch also.

Photo_062309_002.jpg

Also got a chance to let the 241OR Rocktrac 4:1 Rubicon transfer case do a little work.... Its awesome. I know I already posted about it, but it really is nice to have 4:1 in 4 low.

241or.jpg

Installed an Aussie locker in the front (no pics of that)

Still need to install the frame stiffeners from HD offroad,

DSCN0530.jpg

Got some Brown dog motor mounts to put in as well...

I will get to it all eventually.

~James

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Wow.. didnt realize there were replies already, I was busy posting....LOL.

Thanks everyone!!

~James

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Nice, Stumpy.
Now I understand why you didn't make it on the camping trip.

I'm thinking of dual batts and an inverter/power station in the rear ---- 2000 watt so that I can bring my ac compressor with me to air-up.
I like your box idea; I was going to make one out of aluminum...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman