Stumptacos Home-made Camp Kitchen

bullsac

Observer
Looks great my only thought is the paper towel roll. You could free up that space by removing it. I unroll a roll of paper towels and fold them into a large ziplock bag. That way they stay dry and they pack nicely. Just a suggestion.

Very cool! Makes me want to throw rocks at my camp box..

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
That is some high quality work. Have you thought about some legs for it? Maybe some that screw in when you get to camp and then stow away when on the road?

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Maybe you've seen these but this is a nice solution for knives without taking up the space of a huge block. Search for drawer block for knives and you'll get lots of ideas. Or a nice magnetic holder above your stove on the lid might be a space saver too.

Just a thought.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Sure, it will have legs. It will be very similar to the original drifta kitchen.

DPO38.jpg

My kitchen will be on tracks in the rear of my jeep, on the passenger side just like the above picture. For the majority of the time, the left end of the kitchen will rest on the rear of my jeep, and the other end will have legs. I will have it easily removable for when we go offroading. Right now it only weighs 24 pounds and its almost finished, so even when its loaded it will be easy to remove.

Thanks! ~James

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Rezarf, now there is an idea. I did not like the thought of having a huge knife block on the kitchen, but that is definitely doable. I will have to kook into it. Thanks!! I thought about using magnetic strips also, but am worried about the ability for them to stay put (especially when we are talking about expensive knives). I think the drawer type blocks will be good to go, and I think I have the perfect place for it.

Anybody got any ideas for what to do below the grill area? I was thinking of a pull out shelf (on roller slides) with a small sink inside of it and maybe a hand pump, or I could rig up an electric pump. Just not sure about how to do it, and not sure how practical it is. I know some of that space will be used for pots and pan storage, but not all of it.

~James

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Thanks! Yeah, they can give that speech to someone else. I am making it for my own personal use AFTER trying to do business with the original company. And I definitely dont want to go into any sort of production...LOL.

~James

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i was going to be the USA seller of drifta kitchens. i was actually going to build them under license and all the north american sales would have come out of my place. everything was on track but he changed his mind about it all.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Well, my last day of a 4 day mini vacation resulted in me finishing the kitchen. I decided to go with a teak colored sealer, and I think it turned out really good overall.

I am still debating on what to do as far as mounting it in the jeep or just keep it as a stand alone by adding legs on both ends. I think I may end up using it as a stand alone unit, that way I can use it under my awning, and there wont be anything permanent mounted in the rear of the jeep.

Anyway, here she is. I borrowed some stuff out of the kitchen for illustrative purposes.

DSCN0486.jpg

DSCN0487.jpg

DSCN0488.jpg

DSCN0489.jpg

DSCN0490.jpg

DSCN0491.jpg

DSCN0492.jpg

DSCN0493.jpg

DSCN0494.jpg

DSCN0495.jpg

~James

Photog

Explorer
Beautiful piece of work!

How & where does this fit in your Jeep? Will you need the saw-horses to use it in camp?

X2 for Brian's questions... Are you going to fabricate some foldable legs?

I know Drifta did the legwork on the design, but your design looks great. Nice personal touches and design additions. Do you know how much it weights?

Great job!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears