Sub-Compact Overlander

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
the original mini was only 120" long and a boot the size of 1 bag

My cousins did a 2 month camping trip to france a long while back....thing 30 years

3 adults and two children........yes they did have a rack !

and yes my family thought they were mad !

Funny you mention the XL7. I just saw one in the parking lot next to a newer 4runner. Surrely not a subcompact anymore. I am a bit curious about the Sportage myself. I can't seem to find if there is a low range or not. I do believe the 96-2000? would be best. Before the Hyundai intervention. OME sells a kit for the Sorento and the Santa Fe but they are too big.

BTW I'm a bit cheased with OME, they make a kit for the CRV and not the Forester. The CRV has alot of spindly bits hanging low. Every time I am at a light behind them I shake my head at those tiny little axle shafts. If you get a chance to lay under a Forester check em out. Eveything is tucked away pretty nice and that rear diff is like an anvil.

Sorry to gush about the Subaru. I am quite smitten, I will stop now...

About the Sportage. Remember the Jetta Trek, you know when VW marketed the car with a bike and rack. I thought a great scheme would be to pair up Kia with a canoe manufacturer and call it the Portage. All they gotta do is put on a rack and a boat and rip the "S" off. Brilliant!!

Viggen

Just here...
Funny you mention the XL7. I just saw one in the parking lot next to a newer 4runner. Surrely not a subcompact anymore. I am a bit curious about the Sportage myself. I can't seem to find if there is a low range or not. I do believe the 96-2000? would be best. Before the Hyundai intervention. OME sells a kit for the Sorento and the Santa Fe but they are too big.

BTW I'm a bit cheased with OME, they make a kit for the CRV and not the Forester. The CRV has alot of spindly bits hanging low. Every time I am at a light behind them I shake my head at those tiny little axle shafts. If you get a chance to lay under a Forester check em out. Eveything is tucked away pretty nice and that rear diff is like an anvil.

Sorry to gush about the Subaru. I am quite smitten, I will stop now..

The offroad world expands beyond OME. I know its shocking but it is true nonetheless. If you have a Subaru Forester, you need to get a hold of Scorpion Subaru in Australia and get some of their kits. I took like Subarus. My 09 Outback was spectacular but I was driving my D1 more so I couldnt justify paying for it while it just sat there doing nothing.

anew1.jpg

Dcp_0119.jpg

IMG_1605.JPG

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Well it looks like the Vitara (the older smaller version) came with a manual transmission in 1999-2000.
They are however still a bit pricey, it may be hard to find one to fit within our $5K total budget...

suzuki-grand-vitara-1999_8316.jpg

I feel like the Suzuki Vitara could be more reliable than the Kia Sportage and parts more available. I don't know if they are unibody and if they have low range.

Edit: Great review here:

http://www.4x4review.com/Reviews/VehicleReviews/1999SuzukiGrandVitara/tabid/210/Default.aspx

Looks like it's a body on frame but no low range.

Last edited:
I don't quite understand the pricing of the Suzukis either.

Here is a CL ad for a Samurai, sure the tin top brings more. Its also hard to find an unmolested one. $3250 for an '87? I have seen them listed for more. Is this the four wheel version of the trail 90? Selling for most of original sale price? I could be a little cheap, I admit. No affiliation blah blah..
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/1965605763.html

Viggen, Not so much that OME doesn't make a kit, but that they do make one for the CRV. Which I don't believe to be as durable. No more Subaru talk from me I promiss.

Navman

Adventurer
All I can say is I had a blast driving around Costa Rica in a RAV4, during the rainy season. We had plenty of opportunities to practice getting the bow wave perfect and we even managed to get air a few times.

Like I say with surfing, you have to have the right equipment for the conditions. Gutless summertime mush - grab the longboard. Grinding winter barrels - grab the shortboard or step up.

The point - you don't need a rock crawler for travelling on dirt roads. Little vehicles are fun to drive and more than adequate in a lot of conditions.

I'm looking forward to the build, and the reaction to it.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I'm looking forward to the build, and the reaction to it.

This could be really interesting indeed.

So far I have narrowed it down to:

Kia Sportage
Suzuki Sidekick 4 doors
Grand Vitara
Toyota Rav4

One of our requirements (Scott and I) is to have it with a manual transmission.
Budget $5000 max.
Modifications would be minimal but what we consider essentials:

-new tires
-new suspensions springs
-fridge
-light/low profile rack to carry surfboards/bikes
-fog/rally lights

Most likely no roof top tent, we would be carrying a regular tent instead.

ratkin

Adventurer
XL-7 is a nice vehicle, but it's a little larger than subcompact. With 112 inch wheelbase and 197 inch overall length, it's larger than a 4Runner, and almost as big as a Wrangler Unlimited. . .

Those lengths sounded like the 2nd Gen crossover to me, so I went out to the wife's DD and measured with a tape measure and was surprised the wheelbase looked like 110" (actual figures are WB=110.2"; OL=183.6"; OW=70.1"). Didn't expect it to have the the same wheelbase as a Defender Wagon!

Anyway, point is well taken - can't classify this as a Sub-Compact Overlander by any stretch of the imagination. I let my excitement at the thought of a diesel conversion project vehicle here in the States get the best of me!
:coffeedrink:

Well it looks like the Vitara (the older smaller version) came with a manual transmission in 1999-2000.
They are however still a bit pricey, it may be hard to find one to fit within our $5K total budget...

Looks like it's a body on frame but no low range.

The Vitara does come with a stock "lo-range" of 1.82:1 gearing, but you can get the replacement Calmini 4.24:1 low gearing for the transfer case.

Carry on!
- Richard

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
I think you'll have trouble finding the Grand Vitara or Toyota Rav4
for less than $5K unless you're willing to accept a vehicle with high miles.

The Suzuki Sidekick is available for well under $5K, but the vehicles
are generally from the early 1990s.

The Kia Sportage fits the budget, and can be found with more reasonable miles.
The knock on the Sportage is that there are very few aftermarket parts. There's a
web site called www.upyourkia.com that sells spacers for suspension lift.

The Sportage ground clearance is 7.7 inches with the stock 205/75 R15
tires, 27 inches in diameter. The Kia enthusiast group on 4x4wire.com
say that 225/75 R15, 28.3 inches in diameter, will fit without modification.
But there will be a bit of power loss with the larger tires.

Here's the link to the Sportage group on 4x4wire
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB70&page=0

REasley

Adventurer
The Suzuki Samurai makes an excellent expedition vehicle and probably the most compact of the sub-compacts. It can work comfortably for two people, but not for more.
Clipboard02.jpg
With a trailer you can stay out on the trail for weeks.

racingjason

Adventurer
While bouncing around the backroads of Baja heading up to a remote mission we came across four locals in a 4wd Subaru wagon heading the other direction. One of their rear tires was completely flat and they had been driving on it for some time. They asked if we had a compressor but after judging the condition of the tire we thought it simpler to say no. They said they were going to head into town and get it fixed and come back in the afternoon. We were skeptical as the road got much worse after that and we had been driving for some time already. Well wouldn't you know that the little Subaru showed up about an hour or so after us; I was impressed.

Attachments

• SubWagon.jpg
    SubWagon.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 113

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I like this build idea, sounds fun. Someone mentioned the Isuzu Amigo earlier. I think this would be a great choice. Manual tranny, low range, body on frame, a nice stance width and from what i recall, lots of Trooper parts which makes it fairly robust. Used Amigos are dirt cheap too and the rear quarter softop is cool in my book.

Mr. D

Adventurer
Will be interesting, I remember in the early 90's I bought an 86 Samurai cheaper then what people want for them today!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman