Subaroute - Driving a Forester around the world

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Very cool using a Forester to travel around the world. I noticed they even mounted a roof top tent.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Hatari said:
I found this recently and it is a pretty good read. Subaroute Enjoy.

subaru's, i'm finding out, are very underrated in the overlanding world.

i wonder why this site doesn't support them more?

maybe just larger size requirements ruled them out, or are they not macho enough?

not enough aftermarket parts to buy?

work too well outa the box, so the tinkering/modding aspect isn't there?

great link, thanks...:luxhello:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
BIGdaddy said:
subaru's, i'm finding out, are very underrated in the overlanding world.

maybe just larger size requirements ruled them out, or are they not macho enough?

not enough aftermarket parts to buy?

work too well outa the box, so the tinkering/modding aspect isn't there?

great link, thanks...:luxhello:
They work well up to a point. I love them in general but I suspect that with alot of weight and a heavy foot you'd see half-shafts poping all over the place. At least my assosciate in HS's Loyale had that problem. Another buddy had an old 2Dr hatch that had 4LO and was nearly un-breakable, plus it had a "hill holder " brake which I though was cool for snow wheeling. There are quite a few "built" scuby's running around here in Portland, I'll try to nab some pic when I see them. Most are older don't know the names (brats adn 2/4dr rigs) and Loyale's but I've seen 1 lifted Forry as well. There are alot of folks in OZ who use them for everything we use our "big trucks" for eh. Just depends on your needs.

Cheers

Dave

paulj

Expedition Leader
BIGdaddy said:

Shouldn't the question be: why aren't more Subaru owners attracted to this site? 'Support' here comes in the form of posting by owners.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I do have a Subaru, which is my daily driver. It's great for road trips and paved dirt roads. Just never taken it outside of the country (yet)

wrx1cl6.jpg

wrx2vm0.jpg

compactcamping

Explorer
Subaru's are a great off pavement vehicles, although they do have their limits. I'm on my second Subaru, current one is a '06 Outback Sport. I love getting 27-30 mpg when cruising down the highway. I find that ground clearance and no low range to be the two factors that dictate where I can go. The other area is weight capacity, although I find it easy to pack like backpacking and have space for a few weeks on the road. Depending on where I'm going I use a RTT or a small trailer.

Attachments

• subby-wtent-mtn-rainier.jpg
    subby-wtent-mtn-rainier.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 39
  • subbies-in-the-woods-subhuman.jpg
    subbies-in-the-woods-subhuman.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 36
  • rview-by-river2.jpg
    rview-by-river2.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 41

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
compactcamping said:
Subaru's are a great off pavement vehicles, although they do have their limits. I'm on my second Subaru, current one is a '06 Outback Sport. I love getting 27-30 mpg when cruising down the highway. I find that ground clearance and no low range to be the two factors that dictate where I can go. The other area is weight capacity, although I find it easy to pack like backpacking and have space for a few weeks on the road. Depending on where I'm going I use a RTT or a small trailer.

are you serious? lol. the original poster linked a round the world trip in a forester.

I'm pretty sure your subaru will go wherever you want it to. :xxrotflma

compactcamping

Explorer
I still have many areas of the US to explorer before I head out around the world :)

After many years driving early Broncos and Jeeps, there are many places I've been that there is no way :yikes: I would try to take my Subaru.

After three years exploring with a Subaru I'm starting to think about adding a true 4WD to my fleet against. Don't get me wrong Subarus are great vehicles, they just have their limits.

LRNAD90

Adventurer
4Rescue said:
They work well up to a point. I love them in general but I suspect that with alot of weight and a heavy foot you'd see half-shafts poping all over the place.

Dave
I think they generally have limitations in the form of approach/departure/breakover and ground clearnace when compared to 'traditional' overland vehicles..

That being said, they are great cars (my wife's daily driver is an '05 Outback), that can take a good bit of abuse, and do alot of work. Heck, my wife's Outback is rated to carry only 25 lbs fewer max payload than a Hummer H3. Here are a few shots of overdoing that (that is about 1300 lbs in stone)..

Attachments

• Loaded2.jpg
    Loaded2.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 35
  • Loaded3.jpg
    Loaded3.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 32

Superu

Explorer
the infamous King Springs.

What year is your OB? I have King Springs on my 05. Shipped direct from AU.

Cost back in 5/07 was:

Front Coils AUD $ 160.00 per pair
Rear Coils AUD $ 160.00 per pair
FedEx Air (3-7 days) AUD $ 235.00 per (set of 4 coils)

Total del. is AUD $ 555.00 (set of 4 coils)

They will provide you 25-30 mm lift. An inch is equal to 25.4 mm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior