Subaru Outback Tires, Going Flat...Thoughts

In July of last year, we picked up a 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5 limited from a dealer in Pa. with 22k miles. It was a single owner trade. It now has very close to 34K. The problem however, is the tires.

When we bought it, it had what we assumed (and still do) were brand new Kelly Edge A/S tires. I suspect the dealer had them put on for the purpose of selling it. A little while back, my wife pulled in the driveway and I could hear air leaking from one of the tires. At this point I can't recall if it had a nail, screw or something similar in it, but regardless, I put a plug in it then and there...problem solved.

Fast forward to the past 2 weeks and she has had 4 or 5 flats (I honestly don't remember which). This morning's event involved her on the side of the road, me loading up the kids, the oldest home from preschool for a sick day and me taking the day off work, to come to her aid. I aired up the completely flat tire to find the leak with the intent of plugging it and sending her on her way. Too much air leaking for a plug so I put the spare on. She stopped by a local shop on her lunch break and they told her there was a 2" slit in the tire and it couldn't be repaired. All the other flats recently were slits, cuts whatever, not nails or other punctures and its not vandalism of any kind, because they are fine when she leaves the house, but are low or flat soon after arriving at work about 15 minutes away.

We live on a gravel road and there has been some fresh gravel put down in the time period that this has been happening. I know she isn't running a rally car through the back roads, and the all wheel drive is going to prevent any wheel spin of significance on the hills. So here are my questions:

Could these tires be so weak that they just get cut up by driving over gravel for a few miles a day?

Isn't Kelly owned by Goodyear? Do they seriously make tires this junky? (By the way, most online reviews are quite good)

We now have one un-repairable and all others with at least 1 plug or patch...what are the odds they will offer some type of warranty coverage even though we aren't the original purchasers?

And most importantly, do you have any tire recommendations (size: 225/60r17) that aren't going to be complete junk? I have a set of Falken Sinceras on the Ford Freestyle and they do pretty well, but I am not overly impressed and I certainly will not get the 80K miles out of them that they claim. The Subaru is mostly a kid hauling grocery-getter but we do have gravel and a steep gravel driveway to deal with. We do get the occasional decent snow, and sometimes those even come in March, so not in the clear for this year yet.

Are all passenger tires made with the same basic construction/carcass, or are some "tougher" than others? If they are different, which ones are the "tough" ones?

Any thoughts, advice or ideas are welcome. Thank you in advance.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
What tire pressures are you running? Also keep in mind that tire pressure is lower when first driving the car, cold mornings, etc so could be more susceptible to this type of damage especially from gravel and rocks.

Even if the tires were replaced under warranty or pro-rated, would you want those tires again?

I'm also a big fan of the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S, have had a few sets on my vans and Subaru. The new Geolandar A/T G015 looks pretty nice and Discount Tire Direct usually has a good deal and/or rebate promotion going. You could probably bump up to a 225/65-17 for bit more sidewall height (and overall diameter) without a problem.

Probably around 32-34psi. No, I absolutely don't want these tires again, I have never experienced anything like this before. I will take a look at the geolanders, thanks.

Anyone else have thoughts? Keep them coming...

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Could be bad luck. I had a rash of flats on three different cars a few yrs ago.
I just put BFG Advantage T/A Pro on our OB. I have about 1200 miles on them. Towing to the muddy dump they grip nice in the nasty mud. Did great in Tahoe snow and ice. So far dont seem to impact highway mileage or ride quality. I had a bfg Touring highway tire on it before that got a solid 50,000 out of them with dirt, towing abuse.

Geos are ok but I think these new BFGs look better and ride better at a better price.

Check em out.

No worries...thanks

By the way, it looks like the price difference for a set of 4 of the Geolander AT-S and the BFG Advantage Sport is about $68 from the cheapest of the online vendors I checked (SimpleTire, Tire Rack, and Tires Easy). That is shipped with Road Hazard (included on 2 of the three sites, an add-on for the third site).

I would still have to have a local shop mount and balance, but I figure that is the same regardless of tire. Although, it sounds like SimpleTire has local installers which saves a few $ on shipping and presumably install as well.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
My bet is that you have a section of new gravel that is contaminated with some kind of debris.
Yup, this. A small piece of corrugated metal or a piece of a metal fence post could hide in a depression in the gravel and not even be seen.
As far as tires go, I like Coopers for a good combination of quality and low cost. I put Discoverer M+S tires on my DD Pathfinder for around $100 apiece, and I've had similar tires on previous vehicles with no issues. They're great in the snow, too.

Tires are from 2016, so the age factor is out. Even so, I think this tire has only been around for a few years, so worst case would have been 3 years or so. But that is something I would not have thought to look at, so thank you. That could be helpful in the future if a "too good to be true" deal comes along.

Debris is a possibility, and maybe even a better tire would suffer the same fate, but another thing that I noticed, and failed to mention in my first post was how pliable the sidewall seemed to be on this tire. Granted, the holes/leaks aren't in the sidewall, but it made me wonder about the overall construction of the tire. I know there is a lot of information on the strength of a tire and much of that is based on sidewall ply count, but what about the construction of the tire under the tread. Are the significant differences in that from tire to tire?

I have started looking at some of the online forums with regard to passenger vs light truck/suv tires.

I hate buying tires anyway, but this just complicates things even more.

I am pretty certain I will contact the manufacturer, even if it doesn't benefit me in a financial manner. I'll keep you posted!

Weeds

Adventurer
New freshly crushed gravel has sharp edges. I had a load range E tire cut by new fresh gravel. If the gravel is 3/4" minus and larger it will definitely cut tires. Also if the gradation is off and the gravel does not compact correctly the sharp edges will not mess with the others to form a flat surface.

Just my past experience.

I called Kelly/Goodyear this morning and they were pretty helpful. They opened a claim and gave me a local retailer to take the tires to to get inspected. They said that they would have to wait to hear back on the inspection results to determine a course of action, if any. It sounds like since I was not the original purchaser and can't verify if there was road hazard coverage, if they determine it is in fact due to road hazard they will not cover anything. I may call the dealer that we bought the car from to see if there is road hazard coverage, but I highly doubt they would buy the coverage just to turn around and sell the car. Anyway, I will let you know what comes of it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12