Subaru Outback Wilderness

Alloy

Negatives?
3500 lb towing capacity.
The overhangs are a little long, better on the OBW than other OBs though. (Try hitting approaches at an angle, works 90% of the time, every time).
The suspension IS a little softer than I’d like. Might lean into that on the 23.

With the 2020 Onxy we had
-adding cargo (CC is only 800lbs) or bike rack (behind the axle) with the soft suspenion didn't work on road or off.
-10% of approach/departures was ripping the bottom of the car apart. Armouring the bottom would reduce the CC even more.

RiverCityDave

красный октябрь
With the 2020 Onxy we had
-adding cargo (CC is only 800lbs) or bike rack (behind the axle) with the soft suspenion didn't work on road or off.
-10% of approach/departures was ripping the bottom of the car apart. Armouring the bottom would reduce the CC even more.

Not to dispute what you're saying, but the bumpers on the Wilderness are slightly shorter, ever so slightly improving approach and departure angles. Not saying its ALL the difference, but with the additional ride height, it helps. I have a friend with an Onyx XT who banged that little aluminum skid plate on everything we went over, so there is definitely some difference.

I mean ABSOLUTELY to each their own. If you don't want to buy or drive your Subaru off-road, don't. I do, and I find it super capable. I've ordered the LP brush guard, I'm in contact with the fellas on the rear locker, and I'll likely put either Methods or LP Wheels on the 23, with 255s. Otherwise, I'll leave it alone. My cruiser has well over three times its purchase price in mods and is supremely capable for it. But it gets 14 mpg on a good day, weighs 7000lbs plus, and can get a bit unwieldy. That being said, I've got a fridge, bike slides, etc. in it, and it's a major part (maybe still THE major part) of my Overlanding plans. I just really like having a very capable vehicle that I can drive into town after a day on the trails for a nice dinner, or to pick up supplies, etc. I foresee using it for bigger trips next year as a "chase" vehicle. We'll drive the cruiser out and set up base camp. The wife can drive the Subbie, and it's available to take for supply runs, dinner, etc.

For smaller trips, fly fishing with my son and daughters, small bike trips, gravel races, and such, the smaller, lighter, and easier to maneuver in town vehicle makes more sense. We can cruise around Denver before or after a trip without looking like we just arrived from the Serengeti and attracting all the attention from folks (good and bad) that comes with that. Knowing I can still get us WAY into the backcountry in it seals the deal for me.

Last edited:

Alloy

Not to dispute what you're saying, but the bumpers on the Wilderness are slightly shorter, ever so slightly improving approach and departure angles. Not saying its ALL the difference, but with the additional ride height, it helps. I have a friend with an Onyx XT who banged that little aluminum skid plate on everything we went over, so there is definitely some difference.

I mean ABSOLUTELY to each their own. If you don't want to buy or drive your Subaru off-road, don't. I do, and I find it super capable. I've ordered the LP brush guard, I'm in contact with the fellas on the rear locker, and I'll likely put either Methods or LP Wheels on the 23, with 255s. Otherwise, I'll leave it alone. My cruiser has well over three times its purchase price in mods and is supremely capable for it. But it gets 14 mpg on a good day, weighs 7000lbs plus, and can get a bit unwieldy. That being said, I've got a fridge, bike slides, etc. in it, and it's a major part (maybe still THE major part) of my Overlanding plans. I just really like having a very capable vehicle that I can drive into town after a day on the trails for a nice dinner, or to pick up supplies, etc. I foresee using it for bigger trips next year as a "chase" vehicle. We'll drive the cruiser out and set up base camp. The wife can drive the Subbie, and it's available to take for supply runs, dinner, etc.

For smaller trips, fly fishing with my son and daughters, small bike trips, gravel races, and such, the smaller, lighter, and easier to maneuver in town vehicle makes more sense. We can cruise around Denver before or after a trip without looking like we just arrived from the Serengeti and attracting all the attention from folks (good and bad) that comes with that. Knowing I can still get us WAY into the backcountry in it seals the deal for me.

The step down from a F350 was too much for us. We have a Tacoma on order.
I'd take the F350 (with 4-6 MTB bikes) up a FSR then later thinking I'd save some fuel I'd try the the same thing with the OB. If I could make to the top there was a smell of hot oil so it needed a transmission cooler. It wasn't the front but the back that took the most damage. There's no stopping once you're 3/4 the way across.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The Subaru butt sag is definitely a thing. All us Subaru guys know about it. You learn to push heavy stuff as far forward as you can. Then you start eliminating heavy stuff adding to the hitch weight. Be it bikes, extra fuel cans on the trailer tongue etc.

8.8 inches doesn’t count if your at 4 inches once your loaded ?

Dougnuts

If you're going to overland your Subaru, you need Rallitek overload springs (or something similar). I just got done installing them on my 2015 and we're taking a road trip this weekend. I also think the Wilderness needs larger tires, to take back out some of the gearing. This is based on my week of driving a Wilderness in Utah.

ShiverMeTimbers

Excited to take delivery of our 23 Outback. Went with the Touring XT because memory seats and heated steering wheel is important to us.

will definitely check out the Rallitek stuff. Nice that they’re only 2 hours from my house, I can swing by and pick up new springs etc.

This will be our skiing and DD rig, so not too concerned about heavy off-roading. I have a F250 Tremor for bigger or gnarlier expeditions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears