Subaru owners: Let's see your expedition rigs!

MoLS

New to the forums, here's my '11 Forester 2.5x.
So far I've taken it rambling around the east side of the Sierra Nevada and on some backroads in Death Valley for photography's sake. It's got Yoko Geolandar ATSs and some Rally Armor Flaps. Next up is a skidplate so I don't have to worry about that damn oilpan... :)

Love it so far, enough room to sack out in the back and decent gas mileage for the inevitable highway slog to get to the pretty parts.

8354502024_171e44fe76_c.jpg

8408307821_5472523148_c.jpg

Lostmanifesto

Traveler
New to the forums, here's my '11 Forester 2.5x.
So far I've taken it rambling around the east side of the Sierra Nevada and on some backroads in Death Valley for photography's sake. It's got Yoko Geolandar ATSs and some Rally Armor Flaps. Next up is a skidplate so I don't have to worry about that damn oilpan... :)

Love it so far, enough room to sack out in the back and decent gas mileage for the inevitable highway slog to get to the pretty parts.

8354502024_171e44fe76_c.jpg

8408307821_5472523148_c.jpg

Been thinking about those tires on my 12 Outback once the stock tires wear down a little more. Hows the road mileage?

MoLS

Been thinking about those tires on my 12 Outback once the stock tires wear down a little more. Hows the road mileage?

They went on with the basket and I lost 2 mpg at that time. They're no louder than the stock tires and they seem to be wearing well after 22k miles.

02SubaruWagon

Its been a really long time since i have posted, but i finally got around to lifted it up.
I was able to find some forester XT parts.
_facebook_-1553072445_zpscb5a57c3.jpg

20121224_144856_zpsab76eaba.jpg

20121224_144823_zpsf5e1f56c.jpg

The tires are the general grabbers, i havent got to hit any trails or anything yet with this setup. i was in my backyard and had a jeep following me around. But ill try to keep posted!

Last edited:

scoobyclimbs

My newest adventure rig..and some of my older adventure rigs..All subarus

I picked up a '98 forester S model , 4eat trans w/4.44's open diff.
Swapped in borla header, Perrin crank pulley, gutted the cats welded on a magnaflow muffler.
A hayden trans cooler, All fluids synthetic.

Next was a set of raised King springs w/ 1" strut spacers(Primitive/Pararnoid fab.) = 2.5" lift.
A modified Primitive skidplate to fit borla header, Fog light delete (they just get destroyed down there..! )
I always mount lights above the bumpers so snow , rocks, blowdown don't destroy them.
I have a pair of Rigid Industries amber D2 duallys (for fog/dust,snow )

I fabbed up a basket and mounted to the factory X-bars, I used the Thule xbars u-bolted on it to put my other gear ontop.

The Thule adapter kit sux....! I had my rack fly off!!! Not really engineered for rally, offroad at all.
Fine for skiers, pavement pounders..

I have went through as couple of wheel changes..from 16" stock alum. to 15" stock foz steelies(bent all all them).
I settled on a set of 15" Mb wheels(alum). Wrapped in Hankook rt03 dynapro M/T 215/75R15's Makes up for not having a low range given the extra traction .

dec24thlolo013.jpg

bohemianoonday070-1.jpg

bohemianoonday080.jpg

bohemianoonday021.jpg

foz173.jpg

IMG_4219-1937948618-O.jpg

foz274.jpg

foz263.jpg

xmastreerun003.jpg

Xmasvalley2012148.jpg

fathersday2012031.jpg

FOZMTs002.jpg

My lifted 84 Gl hatch, ej22 swap, lsd, rear disc, SJR 4" lift 235/75r15 m/t winch, Custom bumpers...
lolo2012015.jpg

IMG_2562.jpg

My '03 outback 2.5" lift, A/T's custom bumper...etc..
snow.jpg

mtnwildflwroutback.jpg

Last edited:

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Scoobyclimbs, those are all awesome rigs!

What do you like better for off roading, the manual trannies with mechanical center diff or the autos with electric? Did you do the override lock switch on the '98?

scoobyclimbs

Scoobyclimbs, those are all awesome rigs!

What do you like better for off roading, the manual trannies with mechanical center diff or the autos with electric? Did you do the override lock switch on the '98?

That's tough question...The Hatchie was my personal fav...but not much room for gear and safety in a crash..
The foz is probably my fave now...Having unlimited slip of a torq. converter is much better and PS as well makes the newer gen better.

If you've wheeled both over the years you learn different techniques on how to tackle wheelin'.
Better to learn with an open diff and no low range so you can pick better lines...!
This way when you get an lsd, low range it's a cake walk..
I prefer to stay off the skinny pedal ..let the torque do the work...once you spin your done...!

I've yet to lock out the duty c solenoid on the foz...Although it would be nice..
A phantom grip lsd is my next mod..for the rear diff.

I got tired of the old subarus trying to scrounge parts in wrecking yards...

MoLS

Here's a shot from a fun little ramble in the King Range in Humboldt County over the long weekend.

2400' feet up on Saddle Mountain Rd.
8487791932_d31ffb9888_c.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman