Subaru owners: Let's see your expedition rigs!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
HQru.jpg

:victory:

bnoland

Observer
Possibly a future expo/adventure rig. It currently sits on jack stands with the suspension off to install new kyb shocks and Impreza Outback Sport springs. The springs should give about an inch of lift over stock sedan springs. My adventures are limited right now while we battle cancer with our 19 month old daughter.

Attachments

• a71d0004-82b1-7b04.jpg
    a71d0004-82b1-7b04.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 128

E.J.

Explorer
Sorry y'all are going through that with your daughter. Hopefully tinkering on the car will help clear your head when you need it. Lifted sedan ******.

bnoland

Observer
Sorry y'all are going through that with your daughter. Hopefully tinkering on the car will help clear your head when you need it. Lifted sedan ******.

It definitely helps to get my mind off of it. We are in good hands (St. Jude) here so that helps too. Hopefully I will have it together soon so I can get pics of it lifted. Trying to throw a short camping trip together for the weekend since we aren't scheduled to be back at the hospital till Thursday as well. I can't seem to find 14x1.50 flange nuts anywhere locally which I need for my new shocks. I may have to order them.

mapper

Explorer
Hey guys so I am looking at a summer road trip across most of the western US and will be driving the Outback. I plan on bringing my mountain bike with me but I would like to keep it inside the car. Too many bikes stolen off bike racks these days especially while traveling. For those of you with Outbacks, have any of you stored or transported a bike inside? If so, what did you use/make/invent/tinker/pack? Right now, my best idea is to take both wheels off and lay it down over my other stuff and then drape black sheets over that so thieves cannot see it. At night, if I am away from the vehicle I will bring it inside wherever I am. My biggest issue is when I am away from the vehicle on a hike. I would hate to return to the bike stolen so thats why I think inside will be the safest bet. I am also planning on locking the bike up inside the car to possibly a seat rail.

So, any thoughts?

Thanks!

Jordan

may be too late for you but I've traveled that way a lot in my similarly sized wagons (VW Passat and Volvo xc70). I just remove the front tire and the lower the seat. Then slide the bike in upright behind the driver's seat and tie it up to the back seat latches or cargo ties up against the driver's side wall. I pack the front tire outside of the bike by opening the driver's rear door. You can also stuff a lot of your gear around the bike.

This way you can leave it there day and night and sleep inside right next to it. putting it behind driver's seat makes it a non-issue for on road visibility/blind spot checking.

Cover it with a sheet if you think you need protection but I always figure stealing the bike in this format would take far more time than most petty thieves would be willing to invest.

BBerry4430

Picked up this classic for 900 bucks. A 1983 single owner Subaru Brat. Not bad condition, though it needs some mechanical work and some rust taken care of. Can't wait to take it out on some adventures.
IMG_4454.jpg IMG_4442.jpg

Tinker

Took the Forester last weekend through the Owyhee Uplands Byway. 4.5 hours of unpaved roads on street tires. Absolutely beautiful country, and I'll go back when I have some armor under the rig.

oregoncoast

Didn't see this Subie thread until just now....posted this in regionals....but this is probably a better thread.

3261180D-2F9F-4685-A8D0-ED09D160862E-702-0000012026F8710D_zps09668e4c.jpg

1997 Legacy Outback 2.2/2.5 Custom Frankenmotor (much done here but still normally aspirated)
2" lift
Full roll cage
Cobra race seats
5-point Harnesses
Window nets
Skid plates (front/fuel tank/rear diff)
Bulkhead
Rotopax aux fuel tank
2 full size spares
Tools
Spares - Axle/control/arms, etc.
VHF radio
Garmin GPS (secondary)
iPad with GPS puck and MotionX app on roll cage mounted ram mount (primary)
Droid based OBD 2 wireless monitor
Strobes and Siren (race-use only, of course)
215/75/15 with 1.25" wheel spacers
Trauma backpack
More I can't think off.

Raced in 2013 Mexican 1000 4 day rally from Mexicali to Cabo....then driven back to states.

Photo here taken at Hell's Canyon, Oregon, with scars from Mexico still present. Still a work in progress. Custom Coilovers with added travel on the way. Today ran it in a sanctioned tarmac Hillclimb....got many looks as I ran it as is with General Grabbers and lift kit on it. We weren't the slowest...but not by much..lol. AC blows cold, averaging 24 mpg.

subytoy

Observer
Laxaholic- here's another pic or two of my Impreza:
012.jpg010.jpg
I bought it new (the only new car I've ever had). When I picked it up it had 3 miles on it.
It's mostly stock except for a K&N air filter and a factory STI exhaust. I got the Konig rims so I could keep a set of winter tires mounted and just switch them out
in the summer. Cheapo driving lights wired up using the existing factory wiring, just have to buy a fog light switch and relay from Subaru.
115,000 miles and I average 29mpg on my 60 mile a day commute.
Oh, P.S. if you haven't done it yet, change the factory radiator cap out for a Stant cap. Mine kept overheating until I did this.

Superu_legacy

Subaru-Coffee-Chocolate
Subaru from Moab

short-time lurker, first-time poster from Moab, UT.

There are some great Soobs here!! Awesome!

1995 Subaru Legacy NA EJ22: 100% factory Subaru drive train :smiley_drive:
Daily driver, kid hauler, rally crosser, off-roader, expo

99 OB KYB struts
99 OB trailing arm brackets
94 SVX front springs
99 Forester rear springs
27x8.5 general grabber AT2s (aftermarket 14" rims)
98 AUDM dual range EJ 5MT; 4.11 FD and 1.447:1 low range
89 RX LS unit installed in 99 OB rear diff (read: CLSD with 4.11)
98 LGT steering rack
99 OB RSB with quick disconnects (removed FSB)
customized Mudrat Baja bumper (with customized skid plate)
rear diff protector
angle iron welded down entire pinch weld (read: Suby sliders)
hidden hitch receiver (I need to make a rear tube bumper with integrated receiver to regain lost departure angle, and then some)
roof basket (with tire mounting system)
99 OB hood
98 OB wagon rear seat back ('cause it folds flat -> sleeping option)
spoiler
JDM sidemarkers
cobra 75WXST CB w/ mag Wilson little Wil antennae
(99 OB 2-pc headlight upgrade *soon*)

Here are some photos from the Moab area:

P1030288.JPG

2012-09-20%252015.13.38.jpg

P1080961.JPG

SNAG-007.jpg

P1090017.JPG

SNAG-021.jpg
SNAG-043.jpg

SNAG-013.jpg

2013-08-22%252014.07.25.jpg

2013-08-22%252014.07.45.jpg

2013-08-22%252014.08.12.jpg

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/aspleenic

Last edited:

jonnyquest

Adventurer
Superu_legacy, I REALLY like your car. Do you have a build thread? I'd like to get more details on what you did, reliability issues, and fuel economy. Again, awesome car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger