Subaru owners: Let's see your expedition rigs!

DJGoo

Too much WoW
Yes, one little rock in the wrong spot=time for a new engine, I've been throwing around the idea, but I gotta wait until I get the car lifted.

Jer

Well I mean, the oil pan sits higher than the front bumper (and it's a pretty small target), so with careful placement and slow going I've never had an issue. I've hit the frame plenty of times and I'm surprised I still have an exhaust, but there's not a scratch on my oil pan. And the oil filter is protected by the exhaust manifold (depending on the year); so as long as you're not bouncing on rocks....

I'm more worried about cracking my radiator, or popping a tire, than punching the oil pan. But I would like a plastic belly pan for better gas mileage...

madmax718

Explorer
You could get some coilovers.
Cheapest way is Forester springs and shocks. Will allow bigger tires too. Then get a larger sway bar to compensate for the slightly softer handling.

You can also get a nice aluminum skid plate. GT spec makes a great one, and it, unlike ralitek actually protects the lower part of your radiator.

Id worry more about protecting the timing cover than the oil pan. It is catastrophic if a subaru punctures the timing cover, its usually time for a full engine rebuild.

Superu_legacy

Subaru-Coffee-Chocolate
Good looking setup.
Friend's (now sold)09 on king spriongs, NOT the raised Kings, just the OEM spec (albeit 30% stiffer rate), which still provided lift.
http://dirtyimpreza.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15403
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

DJGoo

Too much WoW
Have I posted mine yet? I dunno if here, but hey, let's keep it up-to-date 8]

It got hungry. . . .
IMG612.jpg

BBerry4430

Here's my 2010 Forester 2.5X 5MT. I've added wider rims with General Grabber ATs, PIAA fog lights, push bar, various trim bits such as the side trim and window visors, roof rack with basket and Thule bike rack, upgraded the audio inside, and STi front and rear sway bars. I think that's it. More eventually will come (exhaust, maybe a few more things).
20131124_121425.jpg
2013-11-24 10.05.15.jpg

Last edited:

Laxaholic

Adventurer
That is sick! How does it do on fuel?

Here's my 2010 Forester 2.5X 5MT. I've added wider rims with General Grabber ATs, PIAA fog lights, push bar, various trim bits such as the side trim and window visors, roof rack with basket and Thule bike rack, upgraded the audio inside, and STi front and rear sway bars. I think that's it. More eventually will come (exhaust, maybe a few more things).
View attachment 198311
View attachment 198314

Last edited:

Laxaholic

Adventurer
This is definitely one of my favorite subaru's on this site. How do you like the manual and 2.5 in the forester? I have the same set up, but in an impreza. I really like the Forester XT's, but as I understand it we can't get them with the manual tranny in the newer body style. Pretty good power/quickness?

View attachment 198311
View attachment 198314

BBerry4430

I really enjoy the manual. Definitely makes the Forester more enjoyable. I would rather have the 2.5 with the 5-speed than the XT and an auto. I will admit, though, that if I off-roaded this more often (I have an old Wrangler for true wheeling) I would go with the auto. Without low-range you really have to ride the clutch and drive too fast to keep from stalling off-road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger