Subaru owners: Let's see your expedition rigs!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
20161207_112533.jpg
I really like them. My top favorite tire so far. They even have a little luggy look that fits the OB look. Surprisingly good in the slushy icy crap in Tahoe. Great in the wet. And handled dragging a 1800lb trailer up the nasty mudy dump road past two stuck 2wd pickups ;-)

p nut

butter
Currently running Blizzak's, but I think I might go with Yoko Geolander G015 and get rid of the winter/summer set up. Blizzak's have been awesome. But I think I can get away with running just one set of wheels, especially since these tires are winter rated. The extra space in the garage would be welcome. BFG KO2's are my second choice, only because I don't need that much heft.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I had Geos on my Sequoia. Former owner put them on as a cheap alternative to the stock Michelin LTs. I hated them had lots of quality issues plus for the heavy Sequoia they fell appart started leaking etc.

For the money I think there are better tires out there today. Geos seem to be priced too high for what you get. The lighter cuvs type vehicles Geos might be fine. But I lost interest in them really fast. These BFG Advantage T/A Pros so far have been really good near perfect match to the OB and our somewhat rough use if it.

nasko

Adventurer
The Geolander G015 are nice tires, a bit heavy, loud and not as good as winter tires in snow/ice but respectable. I have had mine for about 20 000 kms and they are not showing any signs of wear. They have increased my fuel consumption a bit and are definitely louder at 100 km/h. I went with a size larger at 225 65 17 on my 2010 3.6 Outback and I like how stable the car feels both on and off road. I like the peace of mind when offroad that I got a beefier tire. Snow performance has not been as good as my Blizzak's but it is definitely respectable and with the winters getting milder here in Ontario I did not bother changing this year to the Blizzak's.
I am not sure if these tires are not overkill for my use though, as the offroad kms are probably less than 2 percent. Nokian has a tire that intrigues me - WRG3 and I might go that route with my next choice after these wear out. Just my 2 cents...

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I've got the stock setup with the geolanders in the basement, only about 300 miles on them. I've been wondering if it makes more sense to sell the stock almost unused tires and try to get say half the msrp for them that I can put to better tires or should I wear them out and then get new tires.

p nut

butter
I've got the stock setup with the geolanders in the basement, only about 300 miles on them. I've been wondering if it makes more sense to sell the stock almost unused tires and try to get say half the msrp for them that I can put to better tires or should I wear them out and then get new tires.

Depends on your use, but if mostly road and dirt, I'd stick with stock. They're not bad (not great, either). For dirt travels, and on-road manners, they did their job. We've got about 30k on them, and time to replace them (next summer. Winters are on now). Our stock tires are Continental (some sort of all-seasons).

p nut

butter
I had Geos on my Sequoia. Former owner put them on as a cheap alternative to the stock Michelin LTs. I hated them had lots of quality issues plus for the heavy Sequoia they fell appart started leaking etc.

For the money I think there are better tires out there today. Geos seem to be priced too high for what you get. The lighter cuvs type vehicles Geos might be fine. But I lost interest in them really fast. These BFG Advantage T/A Pros so far have been really good near perfect match to the OB and our somewhat rough use if it.

I had Yokohamas on my passenger cars in the past. There were some QC issues, so stopped buying them. A friend has Geolander A/T's on his Cruiser, and it's been great for him. Which is why I was looking into these. Price seems right as well. I'll check out those BFG's, too.

The Geolander G015 are nice tires, a bit heavy, loud and not as good as winter tires in snow/ice but respectable. I have had mine for about 20 000 kms and they are not showing any signs of wear. They have increased my fuel consumption a bit and are definitely louder at 100 km/h. I went with a size larger at 225 65 17 on my 2010 3.6 Outback and I like how stable the car feels both on and off road. I like the peace of mind when offroad that I got a beefier tire. Snow performance has not been as good as my Blizzak's but it is definitely respectable and with the winters getting milder here in Ontario I did not bother changing this year to the Blizzak's.
I am not sure if these tires are not overkill for my use though, as the offroad kms are probably less than 2 percent. Nokian has a tire that intrigues me - WRG3 and I might go that route with my next choice after these wear out. Just my 2 cents...

Same for me, regarding the aggressiveness of these AT tires. The All-Seasons did pretty well off-road. I'd still like an LT tire, so may also look at something like a Michelin LTX. Unfortunately, doesn't have factory or +1 sizing in 17" rims, so I may switch to 16" rims and go 225/75/16.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
20170227_105837.jpg
20170227_103836.jpg

Rockbloks mudflaps installed. Seems like a good product and the $90 for all four and hardware made this one of the cheaper options out there. I've got them adjusted all the way out, I might change that I'm not sure yet.

I found there was some winter salt/sand that got packed in between the fender liner and the steel fender. This should be prevented now. I really should have fluid-filmed it while it was open.

20170227_133446.jpg

I need a real bike. I wish I still had my mtb from my childhood.

Last edited:

fike

Adventurer
I've been managing some pretty decent fire-road-riding in my 2016 Forester Turbo. My Michelin Defender LTX M/S are surprisingly rugged over rocks. I have one bent louver on the factory skid, but for now the the engine skid is half-decent. I had Primitive skidplates on my last forester and will probably get them again. I was running a Maggiolina rooftop tent on the Forester, but it is just too small for me and the wife (besides it is a ***** for my wife and I to load onto the roof). Yakima roof basket works as a place to store wood planks and solar panels.

Considering getting a T@B outback or a Little Guy Rough Rider. To more effectively tow, I may get stiffer springs that sit an inch or so higher.

On top of Flagpole Knob near Harrisonburg, VA

Gd5p2Bs.jpg

This shot is coming down from Flagpole Knob. I never remember to photograph the roughest parts of the trail because I am too focused on tire-placement.

qWpKTYd.jpg

Testing out a Rental Teardrop For My Future Overlanding Setup

z6Qvqk8.jpg

Hitting the Narrow Trails of Monongahela National Forest

SVvgXLz.jpg

Maggiolina on the Roof at Mt Rogers, VA

tnCwE1X.jpg

Last edited:

fike

Adventurer
no electric brakes. The teardrop was trivial to tow. It almost felt like it wasn't there. Stopping was fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger