Subaru owners: Let's see your expedition rigs!

Z Bronco

Just got back from camping. The RTT is great and I just put on the new BFG All Terrains today, next is the skid plates.

elephant man

Here's mine.
2008 sg. Lifted 2' front 2.5 rear. Under armor.
Having too much fun offroad!
e1eaab6090839d1b001dbc46969360b1.jpg
c14090595ebf32ac132ae2ac731d764a.jpg

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

thoff

Nice! I've got a 2007 the same color that I am about to start on. Can you give us a rundown of wheel/tire/lift setup you are running?

Wheels are older legacy gt wheels powder coated with General grabbers in a 215/65/16 with 2 inch spacers.
I have king springs, and 1 inch spacers in the rear only and KYB struts on all 4. I haul my dirt bike on a hitch carrier so thats why i only did the rear. I get some rubbing the the front with the spacers but its not bad.

Wheels are older legacy gt wheels powder coated with General grabbers in a 215/65/16 with 2 inch spacers.
I have king springs, and 1 inch spacers in the rear only and KYB struts on all 4. I haul my dirt bike on a hitch carrier so thats why i only did the rear. I get some rubbing the the front with the spacers but its not bad.
So, the only lift on the car is the 1" on the back?

Theprofessional

Silent Footfalls
posted this elswhere but here's here for gits and shiggles.
DSC_0983.jpg

Also I HAVE A QUESTION

So every time I get all cross axl'd or generally when my sway bars, or something in my suspension, are put under a good ammount of stress, there is a "clunk". When I get way off-kilter and a wheel ends up off the ground it goes "BANG". It started with just the rear when taking corners too fast or rocking over rocks but while I was navigating a nice technical trail this weekend I notice that there is clunks and bangs coming from the front and rear. It SOUNDS like something is breaking quite badly but I can't see anything nor is there any change in performance.

Does anyone have any insight on that here?

Hodaka

Adventurer
End links might be doing that. Lifted? SG seems to be more sensitive to end links when you lift it, mine is not lifted yet and I have already had issues. I completely removed rear sway bar to help :)

OuterLimits

I control the horizontal and the vertical
posted this elswhere but here's here for gits and shiggles.
Also I HAVE A QUESTION

So every time I get all cross axl'd or generally when my sway bars, or something in my suspension, are put under a good ammount of stress, there is a "clunk". When I get way off-kilter and a wheel ends up off the ground it goes "BANG". It started with just the rear when taking corners too fast or rocking over rocks but while I was navigating a nice technical trail this weekend I notice that there is clunks and bangs coming from the front and rear. It SOUNDS like something is breaking quite badly but I can't see anything nor is there any change in performance. Does anyone have any insight on that here?

How old are the shocks/struts?

When you unload a wheel, that shock can top out, causing a bang/clunk. My wife's car would clunk loudly up front when she would cross over a speed bump. It was not the initial compression, but the unload on the far side of the bump that caused the clunk. New struts and strut insulators fixed it right up.

Worn end links can cause suspension noise as well, but on my rig it was more of a constant rattle over bumpy roads, than a clunk.

If the car is old and worn, replacing the shocks, struts, insulators ,end links, and sway bar bushings will improve the ride immensely, as well as providing a much quieter ride. I just finished freshening up my suspension and can't believe how smooth and quiet the ride is.

Good luck

Last edited:

Theprofessional

Silent Footfalls
Thanks! Yeah, it definitely isn't the usual suspension noise but more like something under tension releasing all at once. Louder than the already noisy struts. I think I may disconnect the sway bars and see what that does. Also no lift. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger