Subcompact Overland Upgrades. '84 Subaru

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Nope, no turbo will be going on this one.

Only slight performance upgrades, in the form of slightly higher compression pistons, and a good deal of porting/polishing.

Reliability is top priority here.

Here is the 5-speed getting cleaned up and prepped. :ylsmoke:

5speed04.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Wowsa.... seems I forgot about this thread!

Yes, LOTS of updates.

Currently the fresh motor and new trans have about 5k miles on them, and things are doing great!

here are some of the build photos!

Motor and trans together

ea97.jpg

ea101.jpg

Fun front end work. sealed bearing upgrade here

ea98.jpg

Ready for the fresh engine and trans

ea105.jpg

And in...

ea108.jpg

ea109.jpg

Modified shifter assembly

ea111.jpg

ea112.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Custom center support bearing mount and shortened driveshaft

ea116.jpg

Console in with finished shifter

ea121.jpg

Fresh clean engine bay!

ea122.jpg

And interior

ea124.jpg

Thats the gist of it! :ylsmoke:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Not as of yet. The car has been allowed only daily driver duty for new motor break-in.

Soon though :ylsmoke:

Racer-X

Observer
Cool.

Here in South Africa, we didn't get such old models.

I think we only received Subaru models from about 1990 or so.

BBerry4430

You do amazing work. Well done. This generation Subaru GLs is easily my favorite. I have an '83 Brat and have owned an 82 and 84 as well. Fantastically fun cars.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Thanks!

This has been a fun project. And Im nearing completion. As it is, there isnt much on this car that I havnt touched. :chef:

The past few MONTHS I have been waiting for a gauge MFG to own up to a warranty claim. So being without an oil pressure gauge, the car hasnt been driven much.

I finally got a replacement shipped, nearly 3 months later, and have since sold it to go to another MFG.

The gauge that died and was warrantied was an Innovate Dual Oil PSI and Temp gauge as seen in this photo. It is installed just below the cigarette lighter plug.

ea124.jpg

While it was a very cool gauge, it didnt last long, and the customer service was an absolute joke. Typical US company selling Chinese garbage.

So when the replacement FINALLY arrived, I promptly sold it on EBAY and ordered one of these...

IMG_3237.JPG

Only difference is that mine will register water temp and oil PSI.

The gauge is made by VEI Systems, and has a great reputation for outstanding customer service and product support. Did I mention that VEI products are made in the USA? :ylsmoke:

Another fun little project was modifying a wideband O2 setup I had let over from a previous vehicle I owned to make it a universal setup.

So I took my PLW wideband gauge, wired up a cigarette lighter adapter, extended the leads to the sensor, and fabricated a muffler clamp to mount the Bosch wideband sensor.

Since building and installing the fresh high compression engine, I have had a sneaky suspicion that the weber was under jetted. This wideband setup confirmed it. Right as the carb dips into the secondary, the engine leans out a good bit. So the carb needs to be re-jetted.

Notice my temporary oil PSI gauge...

rugauges02.jpg

And the exhaust clamp + Bosch Wideband.

rugauges03.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Got the new gauge in, and have also finally figured out my temp issues.

Since installing the new motor, it has seemed to run on the warm side. I first attributed it to the fresh build, new bearings, higher compression, etc.

As it turns out, I got a faulty OEM Thermostat. I installed a brand new one in the new motor as it was built, and a boil test shows that it was never opening all the way :snorkel:

Anyways here is the new gauge. And if a fresh t-stat really fixes the problem, this car is cleared for duty!

We have a backpacking trip coming up, and this Subaru will deliver us and gear to the trail head. :ylsmoke:

gauges01.jpg

Superu_legacy

Subaru-Coffee-Chocolate
This is a GREAT build thread!!

Your attention to detail and care for the older Soob is great! It sure makes one long for an older, well kept, "simple" car! Kudos for the rig and your abilities with her!

Is there ANY chance your name is Dustin? ;)

Superu_legacy

Subaru-Coffee-Chocolate
Thanks, and no, my name isnt Dustin.

I thought it was a stretch but worth asking.
I know a Dustin who bought an '84, then through WA ended up in Idaho. Your work is leagues cleaner and more complete than his would've been. ;)
Again, props on the rig!

Ciao,
-mw-

steelheadbum

Adventurer
IdaSHO
Your rig looks great....if your ever headed my way let me know I would love to see her.
Buck

The Redneck Mexican
2002 E350 7.3 PSD 4x4 8inch lift pop top conversion....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger