Suburban mild lift parts? (GMT800 '00-06)

FourOff

Hi all,
I'm looking to go to 33s on my '03 LS Suburban project and have read all over about doing a mild lift with keys (I got the RC ones, but others also motion F150), shocks (Bilstein 5100s), and "HD" rear springs (Moog). I'm trying to source parts but found the 5100s come in a bunch of different lengths (4 wheel parts shows 6 for the Suburban) and nobody has been clear on the springs to use (Z71 vs 2500 vs other?). Read through a ton of threads on the subject but can't seem to find specifics.

Does anybody happen to have any part numbers they can share?
Much appreciated!

tbisaacs

Adventurer
I ran 285/70/17s on my completely stock (other than bilstein 5100s) 04 Z71 suburban. Never had to do anything

d71d1dce9ce99828f0f5efe831bea020.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FourOff

I ran 285/70/17s on my completely stock (other than bilstein 5100s) 04 Z71 suburban. Never had to do anything

I'm looking at 275/70/18 (BFG TA2s) which come out to ~33.2".
285/70/17 comes out to about 32.7", but I don't know if that extra 1/2" will cause some rubbing. And looks like yours is a Z71, which doesn't that have a bit more room than my lowly LS?

I already got the RA keys, so might as well put them in... and then I might as well update all the suspension while I'm in there (also refreshing bushings, end links, etc).

Also just noticed the WA plates. I'm just north of Seattle myself.

SubSar

I have an 03 Suburban LT 4x4 with the tow package and the premium smooth ride package. I ran 285/75R16 AT tires on the stock suspension. I did a mild lift and this is what I am running now.

Bilstein 24-185783 rear shocks
Moog 81069 rear springs
Bilstein 24-186643 front shocks
Wulf Suspensions 3" Front, 2" Rear leveling kit. https://wulfsuspensions.com/collect...for-2000-2006-chevy-avalanche-tahoe-gmc-yukon

Be sure to check if you have the premium smooth ride, RPO code ZW7. If you do you will need to change out the coils springs to keep your rear height with new shocks.

SubSar

The stock springs for an LS or LT will depend if you have the Premium Smooth Ride and/or the Nivomat self leveling shocks. The self leveling shocks take more load and use softer springs. I found out the hard way when my 2” lift only gave me about 3/4” with the aftermarket shocks (before the Bilsteins). Originally I put the Nivomats back on with some shock extenders to get the full 2”.
After I literally melted all 4 shocks on a trip into Death Valley I installed the Bilsteins and the Moog Springs. The Bilstiens are longer shocks than stock for the lift. The Moog are the HD or Z71 springs that are taller and stiffer than the stock springs I had.

FourOff

The stock springs for an LS or LT will depend if you have the Premium Smooth Ride and/or the Nivomat self leveling shocks. The self leveling shocks take more load and use softer springs. I found out the hard way when my 2” lift only gave me about 3/4” with the aftermarket shocks (before the Bilsteins). Originally I put the Nivomats back on with some shock extenders to get the full 2”.
After I literally melted all 4 shocks on a trip into Death Valley I installed the Bilsteins and the Moog Springs. The Bilstiens are longer shocks than stock for the lift. The Moog are the HD or Z71 springs that are taller and stiffer than the stock springs I had.

Looks like I have the Nivomats, and was planning on replacing the shocks and springs at the same time (the truck has 250K+ so who knows how old the shocks are).
How was the change in ride for you switching to these springs/shocks? I know the 5100s seem to be the "go-to" shocks on this platform.

Really appreciate the part numbers! Takes a lot of "ordering angst" away.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
When I did the lift on my Suburban back in 2016, I went with Z71 springs (for my LT 2004 Suburban) and lift keys off of eBay.

You mentioned 2500 springs? The 2500 Suburban/Yukon XL had leafs in the rear not coils. Maybe you mean Hummer H2 rear coils? I have heard of people using those although I can tell you the Z71s enabled me to fit 33's (285/75/16's) with no issues.

I also went with Bilstien 5100's all around. According to my Amazon order history, My rear shocks were model no. 24-185783 and the front shocks were 24-186643. You should probably double-check those numbers but I believe they are correct for a Suburban with a 3" or less lift.

If you do a search with my user name you can probably find my old photos of before and after. I documented my lift pretty well. This would have been October - November of 2016 in this sub-forum.
Order Details
24-185783

FourOff

You mentioned 2500 springs? The 2500 Suburban/Yukon XL had leafs in the rear not coils. Maybe you mean Hummer H2 rear coils? I have heard of people using those although I can tell you the Z71s enabled me to fit 33's (285/75/16's) with no issues.

Several people have mentioned the use of "HD" coils. I assumed that meant 2500 but maybe it's Z71?

SubSar

Looks like I have the Nivomats, and was planning on replacing the shocks and springs at the same time (the truck has 250K+ so who knows how old the shocks are).
How was the change in ride for you switching to these springs/shocks? I know the 5100s seem to be the "go-to" shocks on this platform.

Really appreciate the part numbers! Takes a lot of "ordering angst" away.
I think the ride is fine. It's not luxury car but it is not too rough and truck like. Now that I have my transfer case changed and the truck back on the ground I took some measurements. Sitting on 285/75R16 AT's at 40psi with my lift the bottom of the front wheel wells are at 28.25" off the ground at the center of the wheel, the rear is at 29.5". So I have a very slight rake. That's fine by me. It means if I load up the rear end and it comes down slightly my head lights won't be pointed at the sky.

chirigringo

Adventurer
I just installed the Bilstein 5100s and Moog coils this past summer on my 03 YukonX. All items purchased on Amazon:
Moog 81069 Coil Spring Set
Bilstein 5100 Part Numbers 24-186643 and 24-186742
I had the Nivomats so had to replace coils. I didn't replace the torsion keys but did crank the stock units up nearly as high as they would allow. The front sits a bit low but closer to level than the stock suspension. The ride is about what I expected, truck-like but not too harsh. The handling and body shake definitely improved.
I'm also running 285/75r16 on the stock 7" Yukon wheels which have a 31mm offset. I only get rubbing on the inside rear at full stuff.
Just for fun, here is the Moog HD coil beside the stock Smoothride unit:
MoogHD vs Smoothride.jpg

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
There's an outfit that sells on ebay, XRF I think. They make HD tie rod assemblies for the border patrol tahoes. They work great.

Once you have the keys cranked or aftermarket keys, the Cognito upper control arms restore your ball joint angle and give you back some droop travel.

03tahoe

Check out my build thread for more, but I ended up with the Cognito upper control arms and now their latest upper ball joint. I also did the tie rod end upgrade via. Rare Parts (RP28732) and the Cognito braces. In the rear I did new springs, spacers, shocks, panhard bar, and lower control arms. Lots that can be done on the GMT800 platform SUVs, only some of it is absolutly needed. So it's all about how much additional strength you want and what your budget is. Have fun out there in what I would say is the American made Land Cruiser (bring on the comments...).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger